The Fantasy Trip RPG

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

The Fantasy Trip RPG

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 am

From what I understand The Fantasy Trip was an early RPG created by Steve Jackson and although it was mainly a fantasy game ala D&D, it was a kind of precursor to GURPS. Can anyone tell me more about The Fantasy Trip?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: The Fantasy Trip RPG

Postby LimeOdyssey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:47 pm

I no longer own any of it but it was darned odd imo.

It began with separate little booklets for melee, magic and the world. The world itself was I think if I remember it correctly either a Ringworld and/or a crazy quilt patchwork. Fighting along wargame lines was the order of the day.

Way way back there was a conversion sheet in the back of one of those generic adventures that let you transfer TFT and OD&D characters across. But I remember that TFT and OD&D were quite far apart stats wise. Having said that, there were weird blends in some fanzines of eg Warlock (UCLA) and TFT, but using D&D adventures. It was the era when a game without a critical hit system simply meant you grabbed up the critical hit system from something else, ignoring the entirety of the other rules other than the crits.

In a different reality, that synthesis would have changed OD&D forever. Once the copyright and trademark and attempts at patenting took off the syncretic synthesis died out pretty much. Sad really.
LimeOdyssey
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 pm

LimeOdyssey wrote:I no longer own any of it but it was darned odd imo.

It began with separate little booklets for melee, magic and the world. The world itself was I think if I remember it correctly either a Ringworld and/or a crazy quilt patchwork. Fighting along wargame lines was the order of the day.

Cool it would be interesting to learn more about the world and the system.

In a different reality, that synthesis would have changed OD&D forever. Once the copyright and trademark and attempts at patenting took off the syncretic synthesis died out pretty much. Sad really.

I heard somewhere that this was considered a precursor to GURPS? But you are saying it was closer to OD&D? I also heard that The Fantasy Trip was the first RPG that used a point buy system for character generation. If this is true, then perhaps this was the part of the rules that Steve Jackson carried over into GURPS?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby timemrick » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 am

I never played TFT (GURPS was my first exposure to Jackson's work) but I do know that it influenced GURPS. The Wikipedia pages for TFT and GURPS give some history of both games' development.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby pauldupuis » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:24 pm

I still have all the booklets. It was the first RPG (sort of) I every played, then I moved on the the 3 booklet D&D white box. TFT is really a board game - like so many of the other Microgames released by Metagaming in the late 1970's. It is intended to be played with cardboard counters on the hex maps provided (or one ones you make yourself). It has all the usual Fantasy elements and you do make characters like an RPG, but with a heave board or miniature game feel to it.

As others have said, it was Steve's first attempt at an RPG that later became GURPS when he left Metagaming and started his own company.

Let me know if you have specific question I can answer.
pauldupuis
Goblin

Postby Havard » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Looks like this RPG is coming back!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to The Crunchy Bits