[Hackmaster] Parody Products

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[Hackmaster] Parody Products

Postby Havard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:51 pm

How many Hackmaster products were published that were parodies of specific D&D/AD&D modules etc? I mean I guess all of Hackmaster 4th Edition was a parody, but I am looking for more specific parody poducts such as B1 Little Keep on the Borderlands and Hackjammer.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Hackmaster] Parody Products

Postby night_druid » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Havard wrote:How many Hackmaster products were published that were parodies of specific D&D/AD&D modules etc? I mean I guess all of Hackmaster 4th Edition was a parody, but I am looking for more specific parody poducts such as B1 Little Keep on the Borderlands and Hackjammer.

-Havard

Let's see...<Pulls out HM collection>
A1-4: Smackdown the Slavers
B1: Quest for the Unknown
B2: Little Keep on the Borderlands
C2: The Hidden Shrine
C2: Demon Tower of Madness
D1-2: Descent into the NetherDeep
G1-3: Annihilate the Giants
I2: Crypt of the Lizard King
I6: Robinloft
I10: Robinloft II: Tahd's Legacy
S1: Tomb of Unspeakable Horrors
S2: White Doom Mountain
S4: Lost Caverns
T1-4: Temple of Existential Evil

D3 was in the works but never finished (the author was deployed to Iraq, IIRC). They wanted to continue the B-series but learned that because the B-series was basic, not advanced D&D, they didn't fall under the license they had with WotC. I'm not sure why they never tried to tackle the L-series or U-series, which are some of the best low-level modules one can have. Kinda unsure why they didn't tackle Barrier Peaks to complete the S-series, as I know they're fond of the module (the wreck can be found on Kalamar, in the western desert where the hobgoblins are found).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby valis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 pm

I own all of them and have run borderland and ghost tower. I've run the originals of those also.

None of them are "parodies". Running them is akin to running a delux fleshed out version of the original.
valis
Goblin

Postby Havard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:47 pm

valis wrote:None of them are "parodies". Running them is akin to running a delux fleshed out version of the original.

Fair enough :) The main reason why I am interested in them is that I am looking for ways to expand the originals :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby vestcoat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Some are more expanded than others. Most are a pretty cut and dried translation. B2 is the most deluxe.

Night Druid listed most of them, but there's also Hackjammer. Another setting parody, Greyhack, was planned and announced on some sites, but never published.

It's worth looking around for Hackmaster's old web enhancements. Most modules just got battle sheets and pdfs of the collected maps, but B2 got a full expansion called Beneath the Little Keep. B2's legacy continued in the next edition of Hackmaster with Frandor's Keep, which has it's own downloadable expansion and introductory modules (The Hunt for the Red Wolf and White Palette Ivory Horns).
vestcoat
Hobgoblin

Postby brassdragon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 am

Havard wrote:
valis wrote:None of them are "parodies". Running them is akin to running a delux fleshed out version of the original.

Fair enough :) The main reason why I am interested in them is that I am looking for ways to expand the originals :)

That's what I bought the Hackmaster take on B2 for, and I thought it was good for that purpose. The Keep itself, in particular, gets developed a great deal and in ways that are easy to steal and adapt to the tone you prefer.
brassdragon
Goblin

Return to The Crunchy Bits