WTF is WOIN

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

WTF is WOIN

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 am

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from Celebrities on The Piazza topic.

Okay, I'll be the resident dumb-ass for not keeping up with ... anything and ask the stupid:

WTF is WOIN?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Re: WTF is WOIN

Postby RobJN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:58 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Okay, I'll be the resident dumb-ass for not keeping up with ... anything and ask the stupid:

WTF is WOIN?

Acronym for Russ Morrissey's multi-genre roleplaying game system "What's OLD is NEW." Very open-ended, skill-and-descriptor-based d6 die pool vs difficulty-class powered. Comes in three flavors, two of which are currently released:

N.E.W. is the science fiction version, which can handle anything from Asimov to Heinlein, to Lucas;

O.L.D. will be familiar if you've ever played D&D: swords, wizards, dragons, magic, etc. (But also muskets!)

N.O.W. will cover modern day/80s action.

(On a side note: "WTF is WOIN" would make for an awesome first topic on this game. Can we get this split into a new topic?)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:50 pm

RobJN wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:Okay, I'll be the resident dumb-ass for not keeping up with ... anything and ask the stupid:

WTF is WOIN?

Acronym for Russ Morrissey's multi-genre roleplaying game system "What's OLD is NEW." Very open-ended, skill-and-descriptor-based d6 die pool vs difficulty-class powered. Comes in three flavors, two of which are currently released:

N.E.W. is the science fiction version, which can handle anything from Asimov to Heinlein, to Lucas;

O.L.D. will be familiar if you've ever played D&D: swords, wizards, dragons, magic, etc. (But also muskets!)

N.O.W. will cover modern day/80s action.

(On a side note: "WTF is WOIN" would make for an awesome first topic on this game. Can we get this split into a new topic?)

:oops: Acronyms! Meh! ;)

Okay, that makes total sense now. I followed the enworld links & saw all of those acronyms without any immediate explanations, and as you do when in a hurry, you don't skim much farther than you have to when searching for specifics and not finding any, you decide to stupid. :oops:

I'm not sure how I feel about dice pool RPGs, but I know one of my D&D players keeps trying to get the rest of us to try his dicepool game based on White Wolf game mechanics, but it has far too much emphasis on skills for my tastes.

Nonetheless, Imma check this out in more depth and check your WOIN for LICE. (Laugh Inducing Critical Errors) :lol:

Welcome to celebrityhood, Mr. Nuttman! :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby RobJN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome to celebrityhood, Mr. Nuttman! :cool:

Thanks! I think.... :oops:

The game is very crunchy, and extremely open-ended, which may not be to everyone's taste ("Anything can be a skill"). The sample skill list is short, but it's just suggestions. The spirit of the game seems very "here is the toolbox, here's how some of the tools work, have fun making your own!"
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm

RobJN wrote:

WTF is WOIN?

For some reason I thought this was d20 based. Could you share more about the basic mechanics? Do you add the d6s together like in WEG's D6 Star Wars? or are there success levels similar to White Wolf's systems. Do you risk ending up with huge dice pools or are there some kind of caps? What does skill and descriptor based mean?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm

RobJN wrote:(On a side note: "WTF is WOIN" would make for an awesome first topic on this game. Can we get this split into a new topic?)

MODERATOR NOTE: Done!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

RobJN wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome to celebrityhood, Mr. Nuttman! :cool:

Thanks! I think.... :oops:

The game is very crunchy, and extremely open-ended, which may not be to everyone's taste ("Anything can be a skill"). The sample skill list is short, but it's just suggestions. The spirit of the game seems very "here is the toolbox, here's how some of the tools work, have fun making your own!"

You're welcome! :mrgreen:
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Return to The Crunchy Bits