WTF is WOIN

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

WTF is WOIN

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 am

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from Celebrities on The Piazza topic.

Okay, I'll be the resident dumb-ass for not keeping up with ... anything and ask the stupid:

WTF is WOIN?
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: WTF is WOIN

Post by RobJN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:58 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Okay, I'll be the resident dumb-ass for not keeping up with ... anything and ask the stupid:

WTF is WOIN?
Acronym for Russ Morrissey's multi-genre roleplaying game system "What's OLD is NEW." Very open-ended, skill-and-descriptor-based d6 die pool vs difficulty-class powered. Comes in three flavors, two of which are currently released:

N.E.W. is the science fiction version, which can handle anything from Asimov to Heinlein, to Lucas;

O.L.D. will be familiar if you've ever played D&D: swords, wizards, dragons, magic, etc. (But also muskets!)

N.O.W. will cover modern day/80s action.

(On a side note: "WTF is WOIN" would make for an awesome first topic on this game. Can we get this split into a new topic?)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:50 pm

RobJN wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:Okay, I'll be the resident dumb-ass for not keeping up with ... anything and ask the stupid:

WTF is WOIN?
Acronym for Russ Morrissey's multi-genre roleplaying game system "What's OLD is NEW." Very open-ended, skill-and-descriptor-based d6 die pool vs difficulty-class powered. Comes in three flavors, two of which are currently released:

N.E.W. is the science fiction version, which can handle anything from Asimov to Heinlein, to Lucas;

O.L.D. will be familiar if you've ever played D&D: swords, wizards, dragons, magic, etc. (But also muskets!)

N.O.W. will cover modern day/80s action.

(On a side note: "WTF is WOIN" would make for an awesome first topic on this game. Can we get this split into a new topic?)
:oops: Acronyms! Meh! ;)

Okay, that makes total sense now. I followed the enworld links & saw all of those acronyms without any immediate explanations, and as you do when in a hurry, you don't skim much farther than you have to when searching for specifics and not finding any, you decide to stupid. :oops:

I'm not sure how I feel about dice pool RPGs, but I know one of my D&D players keeps trying to get the rest of us to try his dicepool game based on White Wolf game mechanics, but it has far too much emphasis on skills for my tastes.

Nonetheless, Imma check this out in more depth and check your WOIN for LICE. (Laugh Inducing Critical Errors) :lol:

Welcome to celebrityhood, Mr. Nuttman! :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome to celebrityhood, Mr. Nuttman! :cool:
Thanks! I think.... :oops:

The game is very crunchy, and extremely open-ended, which may not be to everyone's taste ("Anything can be a skill"). The sample skill list is short, but it's just suggestions. The spirit of the game seems very "here is the toolbox, here's how some of the tools work, have fun making your own!"
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm

RobJN wrote:

WTF is WOIN?
For some reason I thought this was d20 based. Could you share more about the basic mechanics? Do you add the d6s together like in WEG's D6 Star Wars? or are there success levels similar to White Wolf's systems. Do you risk ending up with huge dice pools or are there some kind of caps? What does skill and descriptor based mean?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm

RobJN wrote:(On a side note: "WTF is WOIN" would make for an awesome first topic on this game. Can we get this split into a new topic?)
MODERATOR NOTE: Done!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

RobJN wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome to celebrityhood, Mr. Nuttman! :cool:
Thanks! I think.... :oops:

The game is very crunchy, and extremely open-ended, which may not be to everyone's taste ("Anything can be a skill"). The sample skill list is short, but it's just suggestions. The spirit of the game seems very "here is the toolbox, here's how some of the tools work, have fun making your own!"
You're welcome! :mrgreen:

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Havard wrote:
RobJN wrote:

WTF is WOIN?
For some reason I thought this was d20 based. Could you share more about the basic mechanics? Do you add the d6s together like in WEG's D6 Star Wars? or are there success levels similar to White Wolf's systems. Do you risk ending up with huge dice pools or are there some kind of caps? What does skill and descriptor based mean?

-Havard
While building your character, you accrue points to your PC's STRength, AGIlity, ENDurance, INTuition, LOGic, WILlpower, CHArisma, LUCk, REPutation and either PSIonics or MAGic (depending on whether your play is based in N.E.W. or O.L.D. systems; N.O.W. (modern) will use CHI, I think). Each starts at 3 (lower end of average) except REP and PSI/MAG, which start at 0. Various career choices give you a point or two in several of these attributes, as well as skill and exploit selections (think: skills and feats in d20)

Characters start at Grade 5, having chosen an origin career, and up to four other careers before play starts, and their attributes could range anywhere from 1 to ~ 8 or 9 at this point. The dice pool is keyed to the attribute range, much like d20's stat bonuses are: 1-2 gives you a base 1d6, 3-5 = 2d6, 6-9= 3d6, going on up to 7d6 at attributes in the mid-20s-mid 30's.

Your dice pool is capped by grade: 5d6 is the most you can roll at grade 5, with the cap increasing at grades 6, 8, 11, 15, etc.

Those skills you chose during creation (and gain when you level up) are also "graded" -- additional purchases of the same skill will increase its grade, which subsequently increase the die pool of that particular skill. So buying a single rank in pistols makes you "proficient:" 1d6, while buying it up a couple more times gets you rank 3 ("skilled") and increases your pool to 2d6.

You don't need to buy any particular skill, but doing so can greatly increase your chance of success in doing things.

Attacking (with that pistol), for instance, is an attribute check using your AGI + pistols dice pools (+ perhaps an additional 1d6 if it's a high quality pistol) vs. the target's Ranged defense (anywhere from 10 on up). The "aim" exploit allows you to add another 1d6 to the die pool above the dice pool cap.

Hacking into the complex's computer system might be a challenging[13] test of your character's LOG + computers.
If he had a LOG of 9 and, say, two grades of computers, that would be 3d6+1d6+another 1d6 for his custom programs, for 5d6 rolling to total 13 or better.

Exploits allow a character to exceed the die pool cap. Some will add dice to it, others will turn 6's into "exploding dice," or allow for re-rolls of 1's. All or part of the "LUCk" attribute's dice pool can be declared to add to any check, as well.

Throughout the two rulebooks, descriptors are used -- it's more of a memory/flavor thing than anything really hard-coded into the rules, but they can be helpful in describing what various things do mechanically, or where to start in figuring out how difficult something should be.
Rob

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 am

So are you going to write any other WOIN adventures?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 am

Big Mac wrote:So are you going to write any other WOIN adventures?
With Morrus' opening up of the WOIN Publisher Syndicate (WOIN's version of the DM's Guild, basically), that is a distinct possibility.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:25 am

Woot! The circle is now complete: N.O.W., the game of modern action and adventure, is finally out. Now (pun intended)* you can conceivably run a game imitating your favorite 80s TV series, or run a campaign based on your favorite "modern day" comic/movie franchise.

Would you like to be a....
  • Real American hero tasked with countering the machinations of an evil terrorist organization bent on world domination? Check!
  • Wizarding world students sheltered away from the modern day? Check! (especially since you can combine N.O.W. with the magics of O.L.D.)
  • High schoolers fighting against the vampire conspiracy? Or maybe just out for a nighttime drive and stumbling into mystery after mystery? Or maybe you attend a certain doctor's School for the Gifted? Check, double-, and triple-check!
  • Soldiers trapped behind enemy lines, being preyed upon by a cunning and unseen alien hunter? Check!
  • Suave secret agent who can somehow infiltrate all these criminal mastermind's organizations even though everybody seems to know your reputation? Check!
  • one of everybody Kung-fu fighting? Fast as lighting? Somebody steal your village's elephant and you need to get it back? Check!

*N.O.W. I need to create a cartoon-based version of the game called P.U.N.? T.O.O.N. has sort of been done before, after all....
Rob

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:36 am

Also, I note the upcoming Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000AD game will use WOIN.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:43 am

Coronoides wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:36 am
Also, I note the upcoming Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000AD game will use WOIN.
Yep. Still no solid release date on it just yet. Lots of sneak peeks over at ENWorld, though.

I'm not a comic book reader, so I've been following this in the periphery, but there is much fandom chomping at the bit for this game, it would seem.
Rob

Kythkyn
Bugbear

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:16 pm

I know at least one person who will likely pick up Dredd, even if he's never heard of the system otherwise
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:57 pm

The Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000AD rpg Kickstarter launches September 25th, in case you haven't heard.
Rob

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:10 pm

RobJN wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:57 pm
The Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000AD rpg Kickstarter launches September 25th, in case you haven't heard.
Wow, they can afford a lisenced setting for this?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:12 pm

What do you think Morrus does with all that phat cash his Kickstarters generate? ;)
Rob

Kythkyn
Bugbear

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:50 am

So! Who is kickstarting Dredd? My Husbutch and I are probably going to, and I think my roommate is going to as well if he can make sure his finances are in order. Either way, I definitely want at least the core book, because who doesn't like over the top dystopian violence??
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:21 am

Speaking of Kickstarters and phat cash... guess what funded in nine minutes?
Rob

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Not me. Bought to many rpgs this year, most of which I only partially read and didn't even play once... less expensive than wargaming but still an inefficient use of my gaming ressources.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 pm

I called time on all kickstarters when postage to Australia recently jumped up in price. I actually got apologetic messages from a couple of projects I backed earlier.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”