[WOIN] Thorn gets OLD

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[WOIN] Thorn gets OLD

Postby RobJN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:18 pm

That's... O.L.D., not ... old.

Since I've already cut my teeth on the science fiction flavor of Russ Morrissey's WOIN game system, I thought I'd give the fantasy version a spin.

I thought it was hard enough work from one side of the GM's screen, but I'm beginning to think adventure writing has nothing on character creation. :oops:

To be fair, it's a new system full of fiddly bits that I'm still trying to get ahold of. And each of the Chronicle companions that I work through, the process gets a little easier. (So, either I'm getting better, or just making a lot of the same mistakes) ;)

The system encourages a "ground up" building of a character, layering life-path choices of careers, skills and exploits to build up to the character concept you might have in your head. The (hugely) open-ended skill system ("Anything can be a skill!") can make for some tough choices at times.

Rather than being a D&D druid, or a 5e bard, Thorn, for example, has come out as "an erudite human lore master who likes to travel."

This "descriptor" is a shorthand for what your character is, combining elements of any of eight of their 10 attributes, their current career, their race and the trait/hook -- that little something extra thrown in for characterization. Thorn came out of character generation quite a bit smarter than his D&D incarnation, thus, he's "erudite." OLD has a career that is much more in keeping with the chronicler/historian bent that I've given the druids of Mystara, and... well, what does Thorn do, if not travel?

Varis went from being a fighter to "a brawny human knight who is meticulous about his weapons' readiness." Likewise, Gilliam ports over to OLD as "a deadeye human archer who likes to gamble." For some of the characters, the hardest part was actually coming up with that "hook." (okay, so it was easy with Gilliam). With Ana just now finished (a young, suave human cleric who secretly likes romantic poetry), later today, i think I'll try to tackle the Handmaidens.

I've also got to get to the "Magic" chapter -- a verb-noun system that seems pretty simple on the surface, but has a surprising amount of depth and complexity to it. I think it is going to work beautifully for Spheric weaving. :twisted:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [WOIN] Thorn gets OLD

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:20 pm

So how many systems is Thorn supporting now? Eventually I'd like to check out WOIN, but it is low on my totem pole. And I'd love to see Thorn get some Starfinder support.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WOIN] Thorn gets OLD

Postby RobJN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:So how many systems is Thorn supporting now? Eventually I'd like to check out WOIN, but it is low on my totem pole. And I'd love to see Thorn get some Starfinder support.

Let's see.... various and sundry versions of D&D, Alternity*, and now WOIN OLD... so, three if you count D&D as a single entity, six if you divide it into BECMI/RC, 3rd Edition and 5th.

Starfinder will probably be reserved for the World That Was. Or maybe bits of Sarimaar? I'll have to find time to dig into that system

* not sure about Alternity 2017. I'm still not sold on the "roll over" mechanic. And... yeesh, that initiative system.... :?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Return to The Crunchy Bits