FrontierSpace RPG (Star Frontiers Tribute?)

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

FrontierSpace RPG (Star Frontiers Tribute?)

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:58 pm

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/222 ... s-Handbook

Looks like a clone or at least a tribute to Star Frontiers:

Among the stars in a distant galaxy there exists a region of densely populated habitable worlds. It is here your story begins, a place commonly called "the frontier" where people dwell and tales unfold.

The Galactic Federation's power now wanes as corporations rise to fill the void left behind by the loss of their protection and authority. Citizens push on against adversity and defy the obviousness of their limitations. They live their lives doing work for the large interstellar corporations and governments. They huddle around spaceports and seek passage to the next system. They fight and they love and they die... but above all else, despite the vastness, despite the isolation, despite the dirt and the dust and the danger... the frontier is alive. And that's what makes it worth fighting for.

The Player's Handbook is the essential sourcebook for every FrontierSpace role player. Contained in this book you'll find all the rules you need for creating, training, equipping, playing, and developing your character. This is a companion volume to the Referee's Handbook, available soon.

FrontierSpace is built upon the foundation of the d00lite system, the same game engine used to power BareBones Fantasy and Covert Ops roleplaying games. Years of feedback and continued game system development has evolved this product into something that flows at the game table while getting out of the way of a good story.

POD versions (soft & hard covers) pending...

Referee's Handbook will apparently be released later this year.

The cover does look neat tho :)

Anyone check this out yet?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: FrontierSpace RPG (Star Frontiers Tribute?)

Postby shesheyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Yes it is a tribute to Star Frontiers. The project started on the forum star frontiers.us at least 5 years ago when I was an active member. The owner of the forum wanted to do a newer version of the game. Later on they formed a gaming company in order to publish it. DWD published others games (under the barebones system) while they were doing the development of Frontier Space. Their most successful game is a «Top Secret» tribute RPG.

Very happy to see this RPG is finally available !
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Bought the PDF this morning and gave it a first glace this morning. WOW! The Player's is very complete : Characters, species (6), equipment, robots, vehicles, ships, the galaxy and a setting section. 248 pages of clean lay out with 80s old school illustrations. Feels like a brand new edition of Star Frontiers. :D

Have to find volunteers to try this !!!

Sample pages :

Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:33 pm

« FrontierSpace is built upon the foundation of the d00lite system, the same game engine used to power BareBones Fantasy and Covert Ops roleplaying games. Years of feedback and continued game system development has evolved this product into something that flows at the game table while getting out of the way of a good story. »

Barebones has 3 stats. For Frontier Space the characters have 6 stats :

Strength = STR = Endurance, stamina, muscles, and general power
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Agility = AGL = Balance, grace, flexibility, and overall gross motor skill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Coordination = CRD - Finesse, aim, and overall fine motor skill
    Perception = PER = Use of the five basic senses as well as gut instincts
    Intelligence = INT = How smart and knowledgeable the character is
    Willpower = WIL = Charisma, charm, courage, devotion, wit, and presence

The split of DEX into AGL/CRD is a good idea for a SF (high tech) game imho.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Quote from the book on what is the frontier in Frontier Space :

« FRONTIER
Within these pages, you’ll see the word “frontier” mentioned a lot. This is intended to help give you a specific feel: a frontier feel. As interstellar cultures go, your setting might be as diverse as you can imagine. But it should have a certain atmosphere to it – a feeling that characters are alone against the universe, exploring and encountering, being challenged and succeeding (and sometimes failing). In a frontier setting, resources are never what they could be. You’re always rationing your character’s bullets and food. The medic will run out of medicines and other provisions long before your characters run out of ways to get hurt. Innovation and creativity are what make characters succeed in a frontier.

The frontier is a place of action and adventure, and it is way bigger than just your characters. This should also be part of the feel of the setting. As opposed to fantasy settings where players become the movers and shakers of a fantasy realm, in a frontier setting there are many worlds with many movers and shakers all their own. Your characters are important to the story – and can make a difference in a major way – but they are just a few people doing what they can… small fish in a great big sea.

The frontier is deadly. Just as early settlers in the American West had to face animals and other dangers intent on causing them harm – so too must players guide their characters through danger. Players should always be aware that the threat of dying out in the frontier is real, and it should be a real fear that they may end up food for alien scavengers, lost and forgotten. The frontier is dirty. Spaceships are held together by the inventiveness of the mechanics and technicians who work on them.

The frontier isn’t clean cut with sharp corners and crisp technology, perhaps with the notable exception of the decadent region of Galactic Federation space. The characters should find themselves with dust on their boots, stuffing oily rags in life support ducting to keep it from venting precious oxygen into space. Many vehicles and buildings are industrial looking, designed for function rather than form. This is not to say the frontier is boring or without its luxuries, but players should get a vision in their minds that spaceships are just big vehicles, weapons (even the energy ones) get scratched and dented, and a life in the frontier is not necessarily a clean one.

The frontier is isolated. Characters don’t flip on a computer or television and instantly see what’s going on light-years away. Signals take hours or even days to get from one place to another, while people and cargo can take from days to weeks. Information is important and carefully guarded, but not instantaneously accessible. Characters should feel isolated out in the frontier.

The frontier is vast. Although spaceships exist and can travel faster than light, travel of this nature is not quick. Days or weeks can pass while your characters are out in the great vast blackness of space. Maneuvering and docking can take minutes, not seconds. Slipping into orbit around a planet takes hours, not minutes. Space is vast, and the frontier feel helps keep it that way. In a frontier, time is not always your friend. You will appreciate the scale and scope of the setting while you fear the fast-paced nature of the danger that lurks there.

The frontier is alive. People push on against adversity and defy the obviousness of their limitations. They live their lives doing industrial or laborious work for corporations and governments. They huddle around spaceports and try to seek passage to the next system. They fight and they love and they die… but above all else, despite the vastness, despite the isolation, despite the dirt and dust and danger… the frontier is alive. And that makes it worth fighting for. »
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 pm

A few excepts to give you an idea of the system. The game has a modern streamlined system under the old school 80s vibe :

« BENEFITS
In addition to abilities and skills, characters have benefits. These are special abilities or perks letting you break the rules or act in a way others cannot.

SKILL BENEFITS
These are special abilities tied to specific skills that let you do some really cool things in or out of a combat situation.

LOYALTY BENEFITS
Your character might work for an organization, even for years prior to game play, but you have not yet proven loyalty and gained perks associated with them.

ACTION CHECKS
All action resolution is handled with ability checks. To make an ability check, you roll D00, and if you roll less than or equal to your listed ability score, you’ve succeeded. Want to repair a broken weapon? That might be INT+Marksman. Want to shoot at an enemy? That is likely to be CRD+Marksman. Want to see if your character detects the blaster the enemy is hiding in his jacket? That might be PER+Marksman. You get the idea. Nearly every ability can reasonably be paired with each skill in some type of situation.

RESISTANCE CHECKS
Resistance checks are just straight ability checks (skill doesn’t apply) made in reaction to some threat.

CRITICAL SUCCESS & FAILURE
If your action check succeeds and you rolled doubles, then your success was extraordinary and something beneficial will happen. If your action check fails and you rolled doubles, then your failure was extraordinary and something baneful will happen.

ADVANTAGE & DISADVANTAGE
In some cases, a character is advantaged or disadvantaged in his action check according to something documented on his character sheet. When rolling D00. Normally, you interpret the two dice using the darker die as your tens digit and the lighter die as your ones digit. When advantaged, you interpret the dice whichever way provides you the best advantage. When disadvantaged, you interpret the dice whichever way provides you with the worst disadvantage.

MULTI-ACTION PENALTY
A core concept players need to learn right away in this game is the multi-action penalty. Characters can do a lot in one turn of combat. They aren’t limited to some structural definition of what can be done in one turn. Your first action in any round of combat has no multi-action penalty. If you attempt a second action in the same round, it will be at -20. If you try a third action, it’ll be at -40, etc.

DETERMINING DESTINY SCORE
Players determine their character’s Destiny score at the end of character creation, and this score won’t ever get higher. Destiny can, however, diminish as the character improves his abilities and skills and stops relying on fate to save him, taking his fate into his own hands.
 A Destiny token can be spent (give the token to the Referee, or just mark it spent on your character sheet) on any of the actions listed below. The Referee may permit other uses as well »
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:26 pm

And its under a creative licence should you wish to create material for this game :

Copyright 2017. FrontierSpace and the FrontierSpace logo are trademarks of DwD Studios and Bill Logan. This product licensed under the Creative Commons License (Attribution Noncommercial ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License, CC BY-NC-SA 3.0). That means can share it with your friends, and can even publish your own stuff related to it. It’s yours after all. We’re cool like that. To view this license fully, visit: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0.
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Character creation is a breeze. 5-10 minutes max. My kind of game.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Awesome, that is very helpful Shesheyan!

Are Benefits similar to feats or more to GURPS advantages? How easy is it to gain new benefits?

Is the core mechanic roll below skill on d% or something else?

Level based or skill based characters?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Havard wrote:Awesome, that is very helpful Shesheyan!

Are Benefits similar to feats or more to GURPS advantages? How easy is it to gain new benefits?

Is the core mechanic roll below skill on d% or something else?

Level based or skill based characters?

-Havard

Skill Benefit exemple :
CULTURAL FAMILIARITY
The character is at an advantage in any social dealings or when recalling details of a specific area or culture within the known frontier. When purchasing this skill benefit, the player must select one of the following stellar regions: Asimaar Prelacy, Galactic Federation, Kai Empire, Novim Council, Reinaggar’s Hold, or the Yar Clanarchy. Purchase this multiple times to gain cultural familiarity with additional regions.

Roll Below your Ability+Skill target. 00 is NOT 100 but zero. Untrained is -20%.

Skill based characters : Progression is gained by spending Development Points earned at end of each session. You can raise abilities, skills, gain new benefits and specializations. Of course it gets more costly to raise stuff as you progress. There is also a Cost in money (Credits) associated to the cost in DP. This is to simulate the cost of training, studying.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:59 pm

In depth review of Frontier Space PHB on Stargazers world :
http://www.stargazersworld.com/2017/10/ ... -handbook/

Also, a review of the Referee's Handbook coming out at the end of this month :
http://www.stargazersworld.com/2017/10/ ... -handbook/

This is very cool. I might scrap my UltraModern 5 projet in favour of this RPG. It has everything I need.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:28 am

Can we move this topic in the Crunchy Bit Section ?

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Yes we can. :)
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Available now - the FrontierSpace Referee's Handbook by Bill Logan. Go get yours!

I'll get my copy very soon.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/225299/Fr ... s-Handbook
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

I had time to give a first look at the Referee's Handbook.

Same clear and easy to read graphic design as the PHB. Its a massive and very generous effort (for the price). This book is filled with useful tools for the Referee. The random generation section covers everything from star systems to alien races. The adventure creation section help you come up and build adventures from initial set up to the final confrontation. The techno babble table got a good laugh out of me. The psionic power section is a nice addition - more so with 80-90s style SF. I highly recommend this product.

I definitely need to try out this system now that I have both books.

shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Printed my 2 books last weekend ! PDFs are great but I prefer reading hardcopies. Its also easier to create characters with a group of players.

I'll be trying out the system with my new group of D&D players. Three of them are interested. Working on getting the fourth on board.

shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 am

Very cool, shesheyan! Did you do those yourself, or did you have them printed and bound at a shop?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Very cool, shesheyan! Did you do those yourself, or did you have them printed and bound at a shop?

Thanks. Printed myself at work then bound in a shop.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:22 am

shesheyan wrote:Thanks. Printed myself at work then bound in a shop.
Very cool! :cool:
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to The Crunchy Bits