[BRP] Elfquest?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[BRP] Elfquest?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm

I've played the game once in the early 2000s...I don't remember squat about the rules or the setting. I was wondering if someone can inform how, if at all, the BRP have change since Elfquest. Also interested in learning more about the setting itself.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [BRP] Elfquest?

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi there!

I loved the ElfQuest Graphic novels, especially the main story of the Quest as it lead up to the discovery of the Palace of the High Ones. After that, the quality is more varied, especially as other authors and artists joined in. I still haven't read most of the Final Quest series.

There were always many different variants of the Basic Roleplaying System. I believe RuneQuest was the first iteration of the system, but the rules were adapted to the different settings over many different games.

Rules-wise the ElfQuest RPG stands out as one of the more rules light versions of BRP. I personally like this approach, but I am not sure the gritty realism I associate with BRP made it a particularly good choice for the ElfQuest universe. Also, the magic system really warranted much more detailed rules!

I GMed a campaign set in the ElfQuest universe, but back then I was very inexperienced as a GM and I found the setting pretty hard to design adventures in. I think the players struggled as well. We weren't really sure what the elves were supposed to do since so many of the adventuring tropes we knew from D&D (killing different monsters, gathering treasure, building strongholds) didn't really make much sense in this world. Also, aspects such as Love (recognition) which is a big part of the comics wasn't something we were too keen to play out, although we did use the rules for recognition to see if a PC found a Life Mate whenever a new tribe was discovered.

I have a few ideas for how to update the RPG, but I can perhaps post those later. Let me know what else you want to know! :)

You also said you had questions about the setting? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Havard wrote:You also said you had questions about the setting? :)

How prevalent are humans in the setting? What other races are there? What is the world like? What specific regions of the world are the most fleshed out? Are there any non-comic/non-RPG books (such as an Atlas or the like) that one can loook at to get a feel for the world?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Havard wrote:You also said you had questions about the setting? :)

How prevalent are humans in the setting?

This is mostly a human planet. However, humans are usually the antagonists of the stories since they are prone to superstition and usually belive that elves and other races are demons and seek to destroy them. The comics have shown that some humans have the capability of kindness however.

What other races are there?

Let's see. Going from memory here:
  • Elf
    • Wolf Rider: These have wolf blood mixed in their veins, resulting in limited lifespans, but phyiscally more powerful. Use Soul Names to protect their souls.
    • Sun Folk: Accustomed to living in the sun. Some possess powerful magic.
    • Blue Mountain Elves: Magically powerful and decadent.
    • Go-Backs: Warrior people. Possess no magic.
    • High Ones: Ancestors of all the elves. Very few still exist.
    • Sea Elves /Wave Riders: Originally created for the RPG, but later made canonical. Two different iterations exist in the comics due to legal disputes.
    • Rock Shapers: Whatever Ekuar's people were called. These were not described in the RPG IIRC. Very few are still alive.
    • Desert Elves: These were created for the RPG.
    • Plains Elves: These were created for the RPG
  • Troll
    • Southern Trolls: Excellent craftsmen. Greedy. Love a good party. Deceitful. Sometimes trade with elves.
    • Northern Trolls: Brutal, sadistic and warlike. Much more powerful than their southern cousins.
  • Preserver: Immortal, tiny fey like beings.
  • Human

Note: Some other intelligent creatures also exist, but they were for the most part created by magic and are considered unique creatures. Magic used in this way often causes mental damage and many of these creatures are mentally unstable. Examples: Tyldak (Winged Elf), Two-Edge (Elf-Troll half breed), some of the sea elves.

What is the world like?

It depends. Most of the story takes place while humans are in the stone age. Some, especially later storylines explore later eras, but the RPG focuses on the stone age era so I will talk about that. The planet is pretty similar to earth in some historical period, except that it has two moons. The world is called Abode in later eras. Most wildlife resembles creatures that can be found in our world either presently or in the past. While traditional "monsters" do not exist, some such creatures may have been created by uncontrolled magic brought to the world by the High Ones. Such creatures are usually very dangerous. Madcoil is the best known example. Other strange creatures also exist, resembling megafauna or large lizard creatures (dinosaurs, more or less).

Major Spoiler: This world was only populated by humans untill a race of aliens visited from space. These aliens took on the shape of elves, Trolls and preservers from human myths so that they would be welcome among humans. However, due to time disruptions, they ended up in the stone age where humans were more primitive and brutal. Humans killed most of the elves and the rest scattered, forgetting about their true nature. The Palace of the High Ones is a kind of alien space ship, though it does appear like a medieval magical palace when first discovered.

What specific regions of the world are the most fleshed out?

The world is build around the Quest, meaning the path that Cutter and his Wolf-Riders took in the story. These areas are the woods where the Wolf-Riders originally had their "Holt", the mountain and desert near the Sun folk village of Sorrow's End, the Lands around the Blue Mountains and the area around the Palace of the High Ones. Later maps revealed that the world has more continents than the main one where most of the stories take place. On the map linked above, the main stories take place in what is labelled Iceholt, though the names labelled refer to later eras.

Are there any non-comic/non-RPG books (such as an Atlas or the like) that one can loook at to get a feel for the world?

The Big ElfQuest Gatherum might be worth checking out. There is also the Wolfrider's Guide to the World of ElfQuest.

Let me know if you have more questions!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 pm

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Havard wrote:The Big ElfQuest Gatherum might be worth checking out. There is also the Wolfrider's Guide to the World of ElfQuest
That is cool! :cool: And as cheap as it is, I am tempted to snap it up more sooner than later.

Havard wrote:Let me know if you have more questions!
Is there anything like an annotated timeline available in print or online to get an idea of the timeline? How intensely developed is the world developed to the game rules, for example could I use Elfquest with Path/Starfinder?

Very cool, thank you!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote: Is there anything like an annotated timeline available in print or online to get an idea of the timeline?

Here's a timeline: http://elfquest.com/timeline/

How intensely developed is the world developed to the game rules, for example could I use Elfquest with Path/Starfinder?

The ElfQuest Graphic novel dates back to 1978, many years before the RPG was created (1984). I think that ElfQuest could be run with a D20 based system, but I think it would require some work.

The most problematic issue is how magic works. Not counting Go-Backs, most elves know some basic forms of magic including sending (ESP) and detect magic. Some elves have more powerful talents within magic, but these often combine their talent with other abilities such as combat. There is also no distinction between divine and arcane magic. Elven magic is often highly specialized, so a Tree Shaper will rarely know much about mind related magic or levitation, while a healer will usually be limited to healing magic. Trolls, nad humans never know any magic. The character named Two-Edge is an exception, but only due to his mixed elven ancestry. AFAIK Preserves know sending but never any other magic.

Another problem I see with using a d20 system is the fact that this is primarily a stone age setting, meaning metal armor is very rare, which again often will affect balance between classes in d20 systems.

Elves of ElfQuest are small creatures, so stats for Haflings will probably be more appropriate than that of D&D elves.

That said, I think the published BRP variant also had some problems when it comes to similating the feel of the ElfQuest comics so modifications might be recommended here as well.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to The Crunchy Bits