[FFG] Genesys RPG

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[FFG] Genesys RPG

Postby shesheyan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:49 pm

FFG now has a generic roleplaying system called Genesys :

Genesys is a unique roleplaying game that uses the critically-acclaimed narrative dice system to provide unlimited adventures in a wide variety of settings! Blast hordes of reanimated skeletons with holy fire, explore new worlds in a steam-powered zeppelin, match wits with alien warlords, or invent your own entirely unique world. With Genesys, any story can be told. One Book. Unlimited Adventures.

Has anyone read the book? How does it compare with Savage World, GURPS, Cypher System ?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... 7/genesys/
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Re: [FFG] Genesys RPG

Postby Havard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I could be wrong, but it looks like this is a generic version of the RPG they use for their Star Wars RPGs? Possibly also somewhat related to the rules from Warhammer FRP 3rd Edition? I do notice the funky werid dice which is not a draw in my book. Also, the Star Wars RPG (from FFG) looked too rules heavy for my tastes.

But it would be interesting to learn more from someone who knows more about Genesys!

Also, how does the Narrative Dice system work? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby shesheyan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Havard wrote:I could be wrong, but it looks like this is a generic version of the RPG they use for their Star Wars RPGs? Possibly also somewhat related to the rules from Warhammer FRP 3rd Edition? I do notice the funky werid dice which is not a draw in my book. Also, the Star Wars RPG (from FFG) looked too rules heavy for my tastes.

But it would be interesting to learn more from someone who knows more about Genesys!

Also, how does the Narrative Dice system work? :)

-Havard

Yes, it is the same system as FFG's Star Wars. Its a bare bone version of it. First off, even though the narrative dice use different icons its the same system as Star wars. You don't need to buy Genesys dice if you already have Star Wars narrative dice.

For the reviewer below, who IS a fan of FFGs Star Wars, he is not impressed upon first reading. Its too bland and sub-par when compared to Savage Worlds, Cypher, Heroes or GURPS. There are not enough exemples of how things should work mechanically for each type of setting. All armours are the same mechanically in each setting so mixing Sci-Fi with Fantasy means a Plate Armour is the same as a Ceramic Alloyed space armour. There are only four adversary exemples for each setting. Each setting only gets 10 pages and 4 of those are used to explaining tropes of the genre.

The reviewer says book is only 254 pages when it should have been 354 pages to fully be useful without any other books. The reviewer is hoping that FFGs will do Companion setting books to help the GMs. At the moment it a good buy only if you are a «under the hood» kind of GM who wants to try and figured out and build a lot of things from scratch. Otherwise stay with what you are using (aka Savage World, etc).

Seems FFG promised a lot during marketing but delivered little. I'll stay away from this book...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z7JLBxPf4Q

Never played with narrative dice but here is what I understand :

The narrative dice are the only dice you use in game. There a no numerical dice. You construct a pool of icon dice base on your talents and add positive + negative dice based on the difficulty. There are two axis. Difficulty which is rated 1 to 5 (Up/Down if you will). And the narrative which is degree of success or failure (left/right if you will). Narrative dices cancel each other out. So you can have a success but have a minor set back. For exemple, you opened a lock on a door but a guard located not far head you. It sounds fun but I would have to play it to really know if its something I would like.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:13 pm

I'll have more detail about this book late on. My GM bought Genesys and wants to run a session. I'll finally get to see the narrative dice system in action.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Return to The Crunchy Bits