Alternity is back?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Alternity is back?

Post by shesheyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 pm

I was surprised to read this while shopping on a local gaming website.

Choose Your Future! Alternity is back—and it’s better than ever! Explore your favorite visions of sci-fi adventure with the core rulebook for the Alternity Science Fiction Roleplaying Game from Sasquatch Game Studio. Featuring modular rules that you can customize for your favorite flavor of science fiction, the Alternity Core Rulebook gives players the freedom to recreate a beloved sci-fi setting or create their own.

Source :
https://www.meeplemart.com/store/p/8223 ... clone.aspx

There was a Kickstarter. Delivery due dec 2017.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sa ... aying-game

Sasquatch Game Studio.
http://www.sasquatchgamestudio.com

FREE Beta Rules Test on drivethrurpg :
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/206 ... st-Edition
Last edited by shesheyan on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Re: Alternity is back?

Post by ghendar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:25 pm

This is a clone? Or have they acquired the rights to Alternity?

Can't read everything right now.

I've always been intrigued by Alternity, particularly Dark Matter
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 pm

ghendar wrote:This is a clone? Or have they acquired the rights to Alternity?

They must have permission from WOTC, in some form, otherwise they could not use the word «Alternity».

« In 1997, Bill Slavicsek and Richard Baker created the original Alternity game—a powerful tabletop RPG engine for science fiction adventure across a wide range of genres. Now, twenty years later, Sasquatch Game Studio is creating a new sci-fi RPG inspired by the original game. We’re rebuilding the game mechanics to take advantage of 20 years of advancement in the art of game design. We’re marrying bold new ideas and exciting new subgenres to the original scope and vision of the Alternity game. »

My understanding is that this is a 2E of Alternity but not under WOTC.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm

shesheyan wrote:

y
They must have permission from WOTC, in some form, otherwise they could not use the word «Alternity».

« In 1997, Bill Slavicsek and Richard Baker created the original Alternity game—a powerful tabletop RPG engine for science fiction adventure across a wide range of genres. Now, twenty years later, Sasquatch Game Studio is creating a new sci-fi RPG inspired by the original game. We’re rebuilding the game mechanics to take advantage of 20 years of advancement in the art of game design. We’re marrying bold new ideas and exciting new subgenres to the original scope and vision of the Alternity game. »

The trademark for Alternity expired, so Sasquatch swooped it up. They won't be able to use Star*Drive or Dark•Matter, but have their own Protostar and Dark Nebula settings/seasons.

Not terribly fond of the "roll high" mechanic, and they've scrapped the durability track(s) and Action Check initiative systems, but... we'll see....

Development is taking a bit longer to hammer out than initially expected, but they're using that time to hone and play-test.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:06 pm

RobJN wrote: The trademark for Alternity expired, so Sasquatch swooped it up. They won't be able to use Star*Drive or Dark•Matter, but have their own Protostar and Dark Nebula settings/seasons.
That explains it.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:30 pm

ghendar wrote:
RobJN wrote: The trademark for Alternity expired, so Sasquatch swooped it up. They won't be able to use Star*Drive or Dark•Matter, but have their own Protostar and Dark Nebula settings/seasons.
That explains it.
Indeed ! Thanks for the details RobJN.

I never played the original game. Some of the rules changes could be to avoid possible legal action by WOTC ? If the game mechanic are too similar can they get into trouble ?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm

shesheyan wrote:
ghendar wrote:
That explains it.

I never played the original game. Some of the rules changes could be to avoid possible legal action by WOTC ? If the game mechanic are too similar can they get into trouble ?
I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of people never quite grokked the original "roll under" mechanic, and "roll high" d20+this+that is what all the cool kids are doing.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 pm

RobJN wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
ghendar wrote:
That explains it.

I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of people never quite grokked the original "roll under" mechanic, and "roll high" d20+this+that is what all the cool kids are doing.
Could be !

Meanwhile BRP / Cthulhu is getting its 7e. Seems some players like (understand) it. I never had a problem with it. My problem is when the system is not logical and all over the place with intentions.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:35 am

RobJN wrote:
shesheyan wrote:

y

The trademark for Alternity expired, so Sasquatch swooped it up. They won't be able to use Star*Drive or Dark•Matter, but have their own Protostar and Dark Nebula settings/seasons.

Not terribly fond of the "roll high" mechanic, and they've scrapped the durability track(s) and Action Check initiative systems, but... we'll see....

Development is taking a bit longer to hammer out than initially expected, but they're using that time to hone and play-test.
I don't quite think that it is "Alternity 2nd Edition" have a close read of the "What’s your future?" section on the Kickstarter page for Alternity 2017 - A Science Fiction Roleplaying Game:
Sasquatch Game Studio LLC at Kickstarter wrote:What’s your future?

In 1997, Bill Slavicsek and Richard Baker created the original Alternity game—a powerful tabletop RPG engine for science fiction adventure across a wide range of genres. Now, twenty years later, Sasquatch Game Studio is creating a new sci-fi RPG inspired by the original game. We’re rebuilding the game mechanics to take advantage of 20 years of advancement in the art of game design. We’re marrying bold new ideas and exciting new subgenres to the original scope and vision of the Alternity game. And we’re bringing it all together in a convenient, full-color, handsomely illustrated Core Rulebook with supporting adventures and sourcebooks.
The end of the second sentence tells you this: "a new sci-fi RPG inspired by the original game".

So it is a clone. But because WotC abandoned the trademark, it's a clone using the original name. :twisted:

WotC will still own the Intellectual Property rights to Alternity...the original Alternity, so I'm guessing that the "exciting new subgenres" are going to be replacement campaign settings that don't get Sasquatch in trouble for IP theft.

I don't know the original Alternity, so I don't know anything about the original settings, but I'm guessing that Alternity fans will convert the old settings to the new rules, and that if there are any people out there that dislike the Sasquatch game system, they will retrocovert the new settings to the old TSR rules.

So, legally, this is two different games (like Dark Sun and Dragon Kings) but they are probably going to be as similar to each other as games like BECMI D&D and AD&D.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:35 pm

This KS is 6 months late now. Backers are more upset by the lack of communication «silent treatment» since march 21st, then not having received the book. An update was posted on June 4th stating the book has gone to printing. Six months late is not that bad. Silent treatment is not a good customer building strategy. Sasquatch Game Studio will be at GenCon 2018.
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 pm

I've emailed Sasquatch several times over my Primeval Thule backing. They never got back to me...they have no business being in business without support for their customers.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 pm
I've emailed Sasquatch several times over my Primeval Thule backing. They never got back to me...they have no business being in business without support for their customers.
Very sorry to read that. That is very unprofessional. I was considering buying the Alternity book but I'll pass now. I have the pdfs of the original game if I want to play it.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:09 pm

Hmm...I have some money invested there. I sort of forgot about it.

Looks like they got in over their heads a little.

Still, it does look like they will have the books ready for GenCon this year.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 pm
I've only bought one product of theirs. I was hoping that product was a one off mistake. It's disappointing to here it might not be.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”