How can I make these fantasy armies more interesting?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

How can I make these fantasy armies more interesting?

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Warfare is playing an important part in my current campaign. I am trying to flesh out the armies a little.

A few things:

*This is a human-centric region. Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and other PC races are rare. Spellcasters except Clerics are also rare.

*No fliers: Its not that flying creatures don't exist, but I want to make sure this doesn't end up like Dragonlance or a WWII-style war. I want to focus on land based armies.

THE ARMIES

Lord Kron (Chaotic Evil): Black Knights(Humans), Elite Black Knights with Nightmare Mounts, Evil Clerics, Wraith Commanders, Zombie/Ogre Zombie infantry, Barbarian Mercenary Infantry

King Frostshield (Lawful Neutral): Human Knights, Paladins, War Elephants(!), Human Archers, Human Infantry

King Ironhand (Chaotic Neutral): Human Barbarians, Berserkers, Shield Maidens, Dire Wolves

Mainly I am looking for units etc that could make describing the armies a bit more interesting. I fell in love with the idea of Frostshield's army having Elephants. I feel like Lord Kron's army is the most boring one. Wondering if there is some way I could make it less of a stereotypical evil army (TM).

The system I'm using is 5E, but don't let that keep you from making suggestions from other systems/editions.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tom Bulls Eye
Ogre

Re: How can I make these fantasy armies more interesting?

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:40 pm

One of your problems may arise from the lack of grunts (low level infantry without more appealing names than “cannonfodder”) in Lord Kron’s army. I think, less is more in this respect. Peasants forced into the army, etc. could be useful. By adding grunts, knights and elephants would become worthy foes rather than human riff-raff not quite on par with evil, black knights on nightmare mounts.

I think your barbarian army is well balanced in these respects.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:34 pm

How about adding sappers who are low level fighters, but who do things like building bridges, temporary fortifications? You could even have some miners (who fight with pickaxes) who undermine castles and that sort of thing.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 am

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:One of your problems may arise from the lack of grunts (low level infantry without more appealing names than “cannonfodder”) in Lord Kron’s army. I think, less is more in this respect. Peasants forced into the army, etc. could be useful. By adding grunts, knights and elephants would become worthy foes rather than human riff-raff not quite on par with evil, black knights on nightmare mounts.
A mob of peasants would also give the evil clerics raw materials for more zombies whenever the miserable rabble die off during battles, forced marches, entrenching, etc.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

DM_Kyle
Goblin

Post by DM_Kyle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:59 am

Perhaps, Giant Rats and Rat-Trainers. They can bee skeezy scary looking Guys. Wererats too if you want to get fun.

Ridiculous: Wererat Ninjas of Mrikitat. (Wererats with Monk/Mystic abilities)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:21 am

Your basic army elements are infantry, cavalry, artillery (typically in siege situations), and archery. A magical universe adds to or modifies those elements. Perhaps chariot-riding necromancers?
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:One of your problems may arise from the lack of grunts (low level infantry without more appealing names than “cannonfodder”) in Lord Kron’s army. I think, less is more in this respect. Peasants forced into the army, etc. could be useful. By adding grunts, knights and elephants would become worthy foes rather than human riff-raff not quite on par with evil, black knights on nightmare mounts.
Good idea. I was thinking large amounts of zombies as grunts, but I might make those more of an auxillary force.

Lord Kron controls a realm that is not all evil. Many regular humans live there, but its just that the leaders are evil. Human soldiers might simply be professional soldiers, or levied peasants.

I think your barbarian army is well balanced in these respects.
Thanks! The barbarian realm is the one we have spent most time with in the campaign so far, so I think I have had more time to develop their society and maybe that's why setting up their army was easier too.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:How about adding sappers who are low level fighters, but who do things like building bridges, temporary fortifications? You could even have some miners (who fight with pickaxes) who undermine castles and that sort of thing.
Good idea. I think these could be responsible for siege weapons as well.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Havard wrote:Lord Kron controls a realm that is not all evil. Many regular humans live there, but its just that the leaders are evil. Human soldiers might simply be professional soldiers, or levied peasants.
Maybe give the forced soldiers a gruesome means of paying for freedom. Five enemy right hands for freedom. Some soldier might be seen carrying a couple hands on their person. In the middle of battle some might stop to collect hands. Might even have small conflicts break out among soldiers over hands.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Demnwlf
Goblin

Post by Demnwlf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Have you considered fantasy heraldy from the Dragon mag article to give various unit bonuses.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:40 pm

dulsi wrote:
Havard wrote:Lord Kron controls a realm that is not all evil. Many regular humans live there, but its just that the leaders are evil. Human soldiers might simply be professional soldiers, or levied peasants.
Maybe give the forced soldiers a gruesome means of paying for freedom. Five enemy right hands for freedom. Some soldier might be seen carrying a couple hands on their person. In the middle of battle some might stop to collect hands. Might even have small conflicts break out among soldiers over hands.
I like this! :twisted:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 pm

Demnwlf wrote:Have you considered fantasy heraldy from the Dragon mag article to give various unit bonuses.
Had forgotten about that article, but I remember it now. :)

I have never used it. Maybe its worth taking another look?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”