[Geek.com] 11 Tabletop RPGs That Need To Make A Comeback

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Geek.com] 11 Tabletop RPGs That Need To Make A Comeback

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm

https://www.geek.com/culture/11-tableto ... 73/?source

Their list is:
Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP)
Star Wars: The Role-Playing Game (D6)
Aftermath!
Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game
Powers & Perils
Castle Falkenstein
Over The Edge
Bunnies & Burrows
Bushido
Attack Of The Mutants
Paranoia

How many of these games have you played? Do you agree with the author that these games need a comeback? What RPG would you like to see make a combeack?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Alyfox
Kobold

Re: [Geek.com] 11 Tabletop RPGs That Need To Make A Comeback

Post by Alyfox » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Of those listed I've only played Marvel and Paranoia.. both were enjoyable, though I sometimes found the Marvel system a bit vague when it came to quantifying what the degrees meant. Id love to see Tunnels and Trolls make a comeback.. I've never played it, and would love to (I've played the old PC game a bit). Same with Rolemaster (classic).. I've plenty of fond memories of RM!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 am

I played Marvel Super Heroes, Paranoia, and Star Wars (D6). I enjoyed each of them, although I didn't play them for long. They were used for one-shots or short adventures, rather than longer campaigns at my group's table.

Paranoia has a modern edition from about three years ago. It offers different play styles that were supported across several editions in the past, to appeal to players of each of the old versions.

D6 Star Wars is being republished for its 25th anniversary by FFG.

While I'm not aware of any publisher with the rights to Marvel RPGs (which is a shame), there's at least one clone of the Marvel Super Heroes system. So if you're struggling to find a reasonably priced copy of the original, you could check out the Faserip RPG for free.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 am

The only thing on that list that I'd be interested in buying is Bushido.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 am

Well.... FASERIP is already back with its retroclones (thanks Blacky!) and Paranoia can be run with plenty of systems: its great points are all around the setting!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 am

I've only played MSH and Paranoia, but own Star Wars D6 and Over the Edge.

I bought my used copy of OTE fairly recently, and am still reading through it in small doses; I consider it research for the high weirdness campaign that I may or may not run someday. I like the simplicity of the system, which means I would need minimal crunch no matter how far "over the edge" the PCs went.

One thing the article skimps on is how many of these games and/or licensed properties have had new editions or brand-new systems since the original that they discuss. There have been at least two more tabletop Star Wars RPGs since WEG's D6 game; Marvel has had at least one; and there's the edition of Paranoia from a few years ago that Tim mentioned. (I'm mostly aware of the last one because a good friend of mine wrote a supplement for it, but I haven't played that version.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:48 am

Havard wrote:https://www.geek.com/culture/11-tableto ... 73/?source

Their list is:
Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP)
Star Wars: The Role-Playing Game (D6)
Aftermath!
Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game
Powers & Perils
Castle Falkenstein
Over The Edge
Bunnies & Burrows
Bushido
Attack Of The Mutants
Paranoia

How many of these games have you played? Do you agree with the author that these games need a comeback? What RPG would you like to see make a combeack?

-Havard
:lol: Without reading the source, I'll just comment on the RPGs on this list that I have.

I've seen MSH, but never played it. It looks like a lot of fun. Currently, Heroclix has Marvel, DC, LotR, The Hobbit, TMNT, Star Trek, Pacific Rim, Mage Knights and probably a few other franchises I am not listing.

I play Heroclix with Marvel & DC heroes, mostly. Its a tactical boardgame with no RP involved, unless the players want to, of course. Most of the time, two players line up characters from their collections, and they go toe-to-toe until one side is KO'd or we run out of time.

Star Wars d6 system is the ONLY Star Wars game, IMO. :mrgreen: I love this game, but don't have an interested player base to run anything in this universe. I have most of the 1st edition WEG product line-up, discounting boardgames like the Hoth tactical boardgame.

Aftermath! No thanks. Too much math! ;)

Powers & Perils Remember what I said about too much math in Aftermath? Nevermind. P&P is a set of nightmare rules. I have one adventure published for P&P, but I use it as a supplement to my D&D game. It has some nice fluff, and I have found that AH products are well-written (despite dense af rule systems) and the quality of those products are the best in the boardgame industry.

Over the Edge sounds very familiar, but if I had the game at one time, I do not have it now, and there would be a good reason for that: it was unplayable to my satisfaction, or it had no application in any of my other games.

Bunnies & Burrows, Bushido, Attack of the Mutants are all games I wish I had! I may have a pdf of Bushido buried in my files somewhere...

Paranoia was one of the best of the wild & wahoo, zany RPGs I've ever had the pleasure to run, much to the chagrin of all players involved. At least they laughed so hard that one session involving "Me & My Shadow Mark IV" took over 8 hours to play through. Ah, the good ol' days! 1st edition modules, 2nd edition rules! (Well, Acute Paranoia was actually 1st edition, but it didn't really matter to me, and any player who pointed that fact out to Friend Computer or UV level GM was guilty of treason and sent to clone reassignment therapy.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Never played any of those. I had a hard enough time getting a group together to play D&D :lol:

I once owned the old TSR Marvel Super Heroes game but never actually played it.
Last edited by ghendar on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 pm

I played SWd6 several times. I collected WEG books to use them with d20 Star Wars and SW Saga. The problem is that I could never get people to play more than 2-3 SW games before they wanted to go back to D&D full time.

I'm aware of the others but never played them. I wouldn't buy them if a KS or a new edition came out.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Out of those directly played: Over the Edge. In 2012 they came out with the 20th Anniversary Edition in hardcover, but I just have a old paperback version. I quite enjoyed it. It was the first game of that I started amongst us library workers before our shift would begin. We'd go on some crazy and surreal adventures through Al'Amarja. A lot of narcotics were robbed from doctor's offices- that was probably the highlight of the campaign.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Boddynock wrote:Out of those directly played: Over the Edge. In 2012 they came out with the 20th Anniversary Edition in hardcover, but I just have a old paperback version. I quite enjoyed it. It was the first game of that I started amongst us library workers before our shift would begin. We'd go on some crazy and surreal adventures through Al'Amarja. A lot of narcotics were robbed from doctor's offices- that was probably the highlight of the campaign.
Doctor's office & narcotics! :o

That doesn't sound familiar at all, so perhaps I never did have Over the Edge, and I am thinking about some other game. :?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 am

I'ld like to see the BBC do do a reprint of the 1991 Virgin Publishing RPG: Time Lord — Adventures through Time and Space. Maybe clean it up and update it rather than the various titles their dumping out per Doctor. :facepalm:

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”