Universe sci-fi RPG [SPI 1981-1983]

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Universe sci-fi RPG [SPI 1981-1983]

Postby shesheyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:24 pm

I missed this completely when it came out. Seems SPI had its own sci-fi rpg at the beginning of the 80s. Its was SPI's answer to Traveller. I was playing Star Frontiers at the time.

Wiki « Universe: The Role-Playing Game of the Future is a science fiction role-playing game published by Simulation Publications, Inc (SPI) from 1981 to 1983. It was praised for its innovative and tightly organized rules for such sci-fi RPG concerns as generating planets, applying character skills to in-game situations, and resolving the initial moments of alien encounters; however, it was also criticized for its cumbersome encounter/combat system and its lack of compelling background material. Universe was also noted for its "striking" Interstellar Display, a poster-sized, astronomically accurate map of all stars within 30 light-years of Earth. SPI planned several adventures and supplements for Universe, but in 1983, financial difficulties led to SPI being bought out by TSR, Inc (creator of Dungeons and Dragons). TSR, which had its own sci-fi RPG (Star Frontiers), soon ended development of Universe. »

Did anyone around here played this game ?
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Re: Universe sci-fi RPG [SPI 1981-1983]

Postby Havard » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Wow!

I know nothing about this RPG! Thanks for sharing the images!

What's the origin of SPI anyway?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Universe sci-fi RPG [SPI 1981-1983]

Postby shesheyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Havard wrote:Wow!

I know nothing about this RPG! Thanks for sharing the images!

What's the origin of SPI anyway?

-Havard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulatio ... tions,_Inc.

The company was founded in 1969 by James F. Dunnigan to take over publishing Strategy & Tactics, which had been in financial trouble. However, SPI quickly proved that it was primarily a game publisher; not only did it produce many regular wargame designs, but starting with SPI's takeover, each issue of S&T included a complete wargame, comprising a map, rulebook and a sheet of die-cut counters.

SPI negotiated a promissory note loan (at the time mentioned as $225,000 but here listed as $400,000 from TSR (the publishers of Dungeons & Dragons). The note was guaranteed by SPI's assets. SPI used the cash to pay their venture capitalists, and were broke but happy. However, less than two weeks later, TSR called in the note.[2] SPI, with no cash available and no options to get the cash, were forced to give over their inventory stock to TSR in early 1982, and were effectively out of business. TSR originally claimed they acquired SPI, but as that would mean they also would be responsible for their debts, quickly changed that statement. Thus, SPI's assets—but not its debts and liabilities—were acquired by TSR in 1983.[1] TSR refused to honor SPI subscriptions and used the "assets, not liabilities" agreement to ignore SPI's debts. This policy alienated many of TSR's potential customers.
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Return to The Crunchy Bits