Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby shesheyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 pm

WOTC added the Alpha Dawn rule set, character sheets and other SF products to the DMGuild in December 2017. I received an email about this today.
Do you think this could lead to a redesigned game under 5e?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226710/ ... Alpha-Dawn
User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby Havard » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm

shesheyan wrote:WOTC added the Alpha Dawn rule set, character sheets and other SF products to the DMGuild in December 2017. I received an email about this today.
Do you think this could lead to a redesigned game under 5e?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226710/ ... Alpha-Dawn


Wow, they are offering PRINT versions? :) That is awesome! :)

I don't know if we should be getting our hopes up too much for a redesigned game, but I do think WotC is watching sales for all of the DMsGuild items to figure out of things are worth bringing back :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
 
Posts: 17549
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby shesheyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Havard wrote:
shesheyan wrote:WOTC added the Alpha Dawn rule set, character sheets and other SF products to the DMGuild in December 2017. I received an email about this today.
Do you think this could lead to a redesigned game under 5e?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226710/ ... Alpha-Dawn


Wow, they are offering PRINT versions? :) That is awesome! :)

I don't know if we should be getting our hopes up too much for a redesigned game, but I do think WotC is watching sales for all of the DMsGuild items to figure out of things are worth bringing back :)

-Havard


I hope so. A 5e Science-fiction book would be more than welcome I'm sure. Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?
User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 pm

shesheyan wrote:I hope so. A 5e Science-fiction book would be more than welcome I'm sure. Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?


Not to mention Starfinder.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Image
User avatar
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4006
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby shesheyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
shesheyan wrote:I hope so. A 5e Science-fiction book would be more than welcome I'm sure. Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?


Not to mention Starfinder.


Yes! I hope they feel the «burn» of lost potential sales and decide its time to give us what WE WANT NOW !
User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby RobJN » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 am

shesheyan wrote:Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?

Knowing the haphazard rate that WotC puts out PDFs and then migrates them to POD I'd say yes, it is a coincidence rather than some Grand Scheme.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby shesheyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:45 pm

RobJN wrote:
shesheyan wrote:Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?

Knowing the haphazard rate that WotC puts out PDFs and then migrates them to POD I'd say yes, it is a coincidence rather than some Grand Scheme.


In August Evil Hat Productions has applied for the trademark to Star Frontiers. Maybe that had an impact. Even if Evil Hat manages to get the trademark they won't be able to use the races and other IP ideas contained in the setting... without those it won't be Star Frontiers at all. I have no need for a «fake» Star Frontiers version of FATE...
User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby Big Mac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:48 pm

There is actually an official Star Frontiers website: starfrontiers.com.

They have the same sort of status as Vaults of Pandius (Mystara), Beyond the Moons (Spelljammer) and Planewalker (Planescape). (They actually have the rights to distribute all the PDFs for free and they have forums and fan downloads and stuff.)

Perhaps someone over there knows if Wizards of the Coast are planning to bring back Star Frontiers (as a new thing).

I can see how Star Frontiers could be used as an attempt to compete with Starfinder, but Paizo had to throttle back their standard (Pathfinder) output and slowly increase it to find the correct level of support for Starfinder. I'm not sure that Wizards of the Coast could pitch a radically scaled back experimental science fiction RPG. They seem to want every project to be big.

(I actually think that WotC could support this sort of thing via an internal crowd-funding system. That's what DDI should have been. If DDI had been something that allowed fans to bring any old school product back for 4th Edition, I think there would have been a lot of people trying to pull friends over onto it.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22141
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby Big Mac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm

shesheyan wrote:
RobJN wrote:
shesheyan wrote:Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?

Knowing the haphazard rate that WotC puts out PDFs and then migrates them to POD I'd say yes, it is a coincidence rather than some Grand Scheme.


In August Evil Hat Productions has applied for the trademark to Star Frontiers. Maybe that had an impact. Even if Evil Hat manages to get the trademark they won't be able to use the races and other IP ideas contained in the setting... without those it won't be Star Frontiers at all. I have no need for a «fake» Star Frontiers version of FATE...


Well you can't copyright RPG rules, so they could use the Star Frontiers name on a Star Frontiers clone. But the Star Frontiers universe (if there is one - I've never played it) is not rules - it is intellectual property. Nobody could use that without WotC's permission.

Evil Hat would have to licence or buy the original Star Frontiers universe (and artwork) if they wanted to continue from the original product line...

...or they would have to build a new universe (and give it the name of the old one).

If they are going to publish new material with the old name, they could still make it look similar, by hiring the original Star Frontiers designers and artists. I'll be interested to see if they do that. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22141
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Postby shesheyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:Well you can't copyright RPG rules, so they could use the Star Frontiers name on a Star Frontiers clone. But the Star Frontiers universe (if there is one - I've never played it) is not rules - it is intellectual property. Nobody could use that without WotC's permission.


My point exactly ! ;)

What is the point of calling something Star Frontiers if you are not going to be able to build on campaign info of the original books and modules ? There IS a Star Frontiers universe with players races, belligerent races, a map of the star system, and several modules detailing a good number of planets. There is even a large scale war called the Sathar War in which a race of aliens try to take over the Frontier Sector. It ties in with Knight Hawks the space battle rules. The Pan-Galactic Corporation is a private sector company responsible for exploration of the Frontier.

«The UPF created the Star Law Rangers, an interstellar police force, to track the Sathar's agents from planet to planet and fight them on their own terms. But despite the efforts of the Rangers, the sly Sathar agents have become the most dangerous threat ever to face the United Planetary Federation and the frontier corporations.»

How would you feel if someone grabbed the trademark Spelljammer and with it create a classless skills based game in which there are no life sucking helms in the ships and illithids don't exist ? :facepalm:
User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec


Return to The Crunchy Bits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest