Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Post by shesheyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 pm

WOTC added the Alpha Dawn rule set, character sheets and other SF products to the DMGuild in December 2017. I received an email about this today.
Do you think this could lead to a redesigned game under 5e?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226710/ ... Alpha-Dawn
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Star Frontiers - Alpha Dawn on DMGuild

Post by Havard » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 pm

shesheyan wrote:WOTC added the Alpha Dawn rule set, character sheets and other SF products to the DMGuild in December 2017. I received an email about this today.

Wow, they are offering PRINT versions? :) That is awesome! :)

I don't know if we should be getting our hopes up too much for a redesigned game, but I do think WotC is watching sales for all of the DMsGuild items to figure out of things are worth bringing back :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Havard wrote:
shesheyan wrote:WOTC added the Alpha Dawn rule set, character sheets and other SF products to the DMGuild in December 2017. I received an email about this today.

Wow, they are offering PRINT versions? :) That is awesome! :)

I don't know if we should be getting our hopes up too much for a redesigned game, but I do think WotC is watching sales for all of the DMsGuild items to figure out of things are worth bringing back :)

-Havard
I hope so. A 5e Science-fiction book would be more than welcome I'm sure. Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm

shesheyan wrote:I hope so. A 5e Science-fiction book would be more than welcome I'm sure. Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?
Not to mention Starfinder.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
shesheyan wrote:I hope so. A 5e Science-fiction book would be more than welcome I'm sure. Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?
Not to mention Starfinder.
Yes! I hope they feel the «burn» of lost potential sales and decide its time to give us what WE WANT NOW !

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:34 am

shesheyan wrote:Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?
Knowing the haphazard rate that WotC puts out PDFs and then migrates them to POD I'd say yes, it is a coincidence rather than some Grand Scheme.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:45 pm

RobJN wrote:
shesheyan wrote:Do you think its a coincidence that WotC put Star Frontiers back in print when Frontier Space just came out a few months ago ?
Knowing the haphazard rate that WotC puts out PDFs and then migrates them to POD I'd say yes, it is a coincidence rather than some Grand Scheme.
In August Evil Hat Productions has applied for the trademark to Star Frontiers. Maybe that had an impact. Even if Evil Hat manages to get the trademark they won't be able to use the races and other IP ideas contained in the setting... without those it won't be Star Frontiers at all. I have no need for a «fake» Star Frontiers version of FATE...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:48 pm

There is actually an official Star Frontiers website: starfrontiers.com.

They have the same sort of status as Vaults of Pandius (Mystara), Beyond the Moons (Spelljammer) and Planewalker (Planescape). (They actually have the rights to distribute all the PDFs for free and they have forums and fan downloads and stuff.)

Perhaps someone over there knows if Wizards of the Coast are planning to bring back Star Frontiers (as a new thing).

I can see how Star Frontiers could be used as an attempt to compete with Starfinder, but Paizo had to throttle back their standard (Pathfinder) output and slowly increase it to find the correct level of support for Starfinder. I'm not sure that Wizards of the Coast could pitch a radically scaled back experimental science fiction RPG. They seem to want every project to be big.

(I actually think that WotC could support this sort of thing via an internal crowd-funding system. That's what DDI should have been. If DDI had been something that allowed fans to bring any old school product back for 4th Edition, I think there would have been a lot of people trying to pull friends over onto it.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:07 pm

shesheyan wrote:
RobJN wrote:
In August Evil Hat Productions has applied for the trademark to Star Frontiers. Maybe that had an impact. Even if Evil Hat manages to get the trademark they won't be able to use the races and other IP ideas contained in the setting... without those it won't be Star Frontiers at all. I have no need for a «fake» Star Frontiers version of FATE...
Well you can't copyright RPG rules, so they could use the Star Frontiers name on a Star Frontiers clone. But the Star Frontiers universe (if there is one - I've never played it) is not rules - it is intellectual property. Nobody could use that without WotC's permission.

Evil Hat would have to licence or buy the original Star Frontiers universe (and artwork) if they wanted to continue from the original product line...

...or they would have to build a new universe (and give it the name of the old one).

If they are going to publish new material with the old name, they could still make it look similar, by hiring the original Star Frontiers designers and artists. I'll be interested to see if they do that. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:Well you can't copyright RPG rules, so they could use the Star Frontiers name on a Star Frontiers clone. But the Star Frontiers universe (if there is one - I've never played it) is not rules - it is intellectual property. Nobody could use that without WotC's permission.
My point exactly ! ;)

What is the point of calling something Star Frontiers if you are not going to be able to build on campaign info of the original books and modules ? There IS a Star Frontiers universe with players races, belligerent races, a map of the star system, and several modules detailing a good number of planets. There is even a large scale war called the Sathar War in which a race of aliens try to take over the Frontier Sector. It ties in with Knight Hawks the space battle rules. The Pan-Galactic Corporation is a private sector company responsible for exploration of the Frontier.

«The UPF created the Star Law Rangers, an interstellar police force, to track the Sathar's agents from planet to planet and fight them on their own terms. But despite the efforts of the Rangers, the sly Sathar agents have become the most dangerous threat ever to face the United Planetary Federation and the frontier corporations.»

How would you feel if someone grabbed the trademark Spelljammer and with it create a classless skills based game in which there are no life sucking helms in the ships and illithids don't exist ? :facepalm:

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”