[Sci-Fi] Coriolis : The Third Horizon

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Sci-Fi] Coriolis : The Third Horizon

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm

CORIOLIS by Free League. Published by Modiphius.

I way lucky enough by buy this book from a friend who participated in the KS campaign.

For the setting imagine the "Arabian Nights in Space" + "Firefly" + ''a touch of Transhumanism''. The action takes place in the Third Horizon, an area colonized by humans in two waves. The Firstcome (with a portal star) and the Zenithians (generational ship left before but arrived after the Firstcome). A panoply of factions to spice up things will delight the GM. And there are the mysterious Emissaries, a very powerful enigmatic alien race, who come to stir things in the area. The characters start with a ship and must make end meet by taking contracts. The type of contract is determined by the types of operation they want to run.

First of all let me say the book is gorgeous. Its full of beautiful colored illustrations. The graphic design and layout is professional. Its a d6 die pool system. The more results you roll by 6, the more effective you are. A throw of 2 or more sixes can open the door to bonus effects.

From what I've read so far the players have their say on the type of party they want to play by choosing from a list of group concepts. The group then chooses a Boss and an Enemy, always according to a list based on the group concept. Then they make their characters based on these choices. There are classes that offer sub-concepts. The character will have a major flaw that gives XPs when well played and a "Buddy" in the group, which also gives XPs if the relationship is well played. Characters have access to Skills and Talents. 8 Basic Skills and 8 Advanced Skills.

Classes :
- Artist
- Data Spider
- Fugitive
- Negociator
- Operative
- Pilot
- Preacher
- Scientist
- Ship worker
- Soldier
- Trailblazer

There are also Icons (gods / all-powerful beings). Each person is connected to one of them at random at the beginning of the campaign. The character can pray this being to help him in his adventures. This gives additional dice but in return GM receives Dark Dice dice which he can use against players later.

Pleasant reading as a system. Rules lite when compared to Eclipse Phase. I hope to do some games later on.

Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • Working on : D&D5e in Calidar • Contemplating solo gaming with no DM.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Sci-Fi] Coriolis : The Third Horizon

Post by shesheyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Reading the rules :

Activations :
At the beginning of each round the character receives 3 Action Points. He must spend them to activate. There are Slow Actions which cost 3APs, Normal actions that cost 2APs and Fast Actions that cost 1AP. There are also Free Actions. A character can keep APs in bank to react during the activation of ennemies. I'm used to this type of system in wargames. Should work well in RPGs. I will be using poker chips to represent the action points so we don't loose track of who is doing what during the round.

Armor :
When a character is hit she takes X amount of damage. Damage is fixed - no roll required. Armor gives you a number of d6s to roll to block damage. Each 6 you roll cancels one point of damage. I like this a lot. It makes the damage phase an active phase for the target instead of waiting for the «other guy» to roll damage you will receive. The implementation is different but I'm using the same idea for the RPG system I'm creating.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • Working on : D&D5e in Calidar • Contemplating solo gaming with no DM.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:42 am

Coriolis just got far more interesting with the launch of the KS for Emissary Lost - Epic Campaign book. A massive campaign module for the Coriolis scifi RPG. « It is the first part of the epic Mercy of the Icons campaign and will change the Coriolis universe forever. It is time for you to learn what The Third Horizon really means. »

I pressed the Pledge button. More info :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... escription

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Our first Coriolis game will take place on April 14th !

As per the ruleset it will be a «session 0» during which we will decide together :
1) The type of campaign
2) The type of group
3) Based on the two other choices we will create the characters (class and sub-classes).
4) Finally we will create the group's ship.

Then I will run a short encounter so we can get familiar with the system.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Shesheyan. Thanks for taking the time to summarzie this. The setting ad system sound very interesting. For some reason I keep confusing this with the Infinity RPG, probably just because both are your threads? :)

Do I understand it correctly that the game mechanics revolves around collecting successes on a d6 pool? What is the target number for successes? Are only 6's counted? If so, does this lead to very large dice pools?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am
Hi Shesheyan. Thanks for taking the time to summarzie this. The setting ad system sound very interesting. For some reason I keep confusing this with the Infinity RPG, probably just because both are your threads? :)

Do I understand it correctly that the game mechanics revolves around collecting successes on a d6 pool? What is the target number for successes? Are only 6's counted? If so, does this lead to very large dice pools?

-Havard
Understandable. They are both near future evolution of Earth's storyline. ;)

There is no TN. You take a number of dice equal to you attribute level +skill Level, modified +/- xd6 because of bonus and penalties. 1-2 success (6) is a Limited Success. A roll of 3+ success (6) is a Critical Success.

Some skills like melee, range and pilot, allow for bonus effects to be «bought» using your extra sixes (after the first 6).

If you have no 6s you are in trouble. Something goes wrong and the GM tells you what happened... BUT... before that you can «pray the Icons», mysterious gods of the setting, you get to re-roll all dice not showing sixes... BUT ... if you do this the GM is awarded a Dark Point he can spend to annoy the players late in the game by : Re-rolling an adversary die, taking the initiative with a NPC, declaring a character has an Empty Clip, declaring a character has Misfired, Make a Reactive Action with a NPC, declaring a character Lost a Possession.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:51 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:22 pm
Our first Coriolis game will take place on April 14th !

As per the ruleset it will be a «session 0» during which we will decide together :
1) The type of campaign
2) The type of group
3) Based on the two other choices we will create the characters (class and sub-classes).
4) Finally we will create the group's ship.

Then I will run a short encounter so we can get familiar with the system.
Because we have never played this system we opted to play the free adventure « Dark Flowers » with pre-generated character. If we like the system, then we will proceed to create a campaign and a group of characters in the recommended fashion.

The adventure is inside the quick start rules :
https://www.modiphius.net/collections/c ... e-book-pdf

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:02 am

Our test game was a success. The players understood the system very quickly. I found a one page cheat sheet online which helped a lot during play. The Dark Flower mission was perfect for a trial run of the system. (we didn't use models or terrain this time - no pictures).

We will start a mini-campaign in the coming weeks.
Last edited by shesheyan on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

A detailed review of Coriolis with some exemples of how the system works :
http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.ca/2018/03 ... stars.html

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

In preparation for our next game Saturday night I bought « Aram's Ravine » described as a scenario location by Modiphius. I've never heard of such a description before. At 15 pages I was expecting a short side trek style adventure. While their are descriptions of several locations, important NPCs and possible interactions between them and PCs, you will not find any detailed plans of buildings or an actual scenario/mission for the players. There are only two short paragraphs of possible adventures hooks at the end of the PDF. The GM has to do all the hard work. I didn't find what I was looking for but what is included is well written, engaging and the illustrations are beautiful.

I bought the «The Dying Ship» which is an actual module.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Last night's session went very well. Before the game I used our private FB group to publish three short texts about the setting to save some time in-game. The first text is a general timeline description of the founding of that Third Horizon and events until a few years ago. The second text is a quick summary of the factions and important organisations. The third text is a description of know facts about major recent events that could change the dynamic of the Third Horizon.

Character creation is quick. Similar to DD5e. First you choose a Concept (class) then select one of three Sub-Concepts (specialization). Next you choose your upbringing (plebian, stationary, privileged) this determines the number of attribute points, skills points and how much money (Birrs) you receive. After that its just a question of filling the blanks, buying gear and weapons. The planet of origine is rolled randomly as is the Icon (god-like beings) who's sign the character was born under. The last step is to choose a «Buddy» in the group, write a short phrase on how the character views the other members and finally giving the character a «problem». I took us 30 minutes per character but for an experienced player I would say it takes 15 minutes tops to make a character.

We are able to do 2 hours of role play. During the previous session I had to rush the «wrap up» segment of the Black Flower adventure with a short description of events. Last night we role-played them which was more satisfying. They received a reward of 20,000 Birrs for the information and scientist they were able to save. I gave them one XP each. It takes 5XPs to raise a skill by +1.

At the start of Black Flower the group is already on a mission to transport goods to an unspecified location. The delivery was interrupted by the Black Flower exploration mission. The group resumed the delivery. I elected to send them to Aram's Ravine despite not having an actual mission to give them. It was a good sandbox exercise. I'm blessed with players who love to role-play so it was easy to GM. After their meeting with the recipient of the goods (+10,000 Birrs delivery fee), Shusal Moro recommended Nohak's Cantina as a good place for evening refreshments.

With typical player paranoia they started scanning the Cantina's main room for possible hostile reaction. One of them, the ship engineer, rolled a critical success on his Observation skill (4d6)+(Wits Attribute 4d6 = 8d6. He rolled three sixes, which is a Critical Success). I decided he noticed a dispute «obviously fake to him» between Zelena, one of the «courtisans», and a tall muscular customer. During the «fake» dispute the man slipped a piece of paper in the left hand of Zelena. She promptly left for her room on the second level of the Cantina. At this juncture I'm fishing. I don't even know what the message is and I haven't decided if its actually related to the players - because not everything is about the players in a cantina... The Engineer's personal problem is that he is too curious for his own good. The player decides he has to know what the message contains. So he moves to the bar and asks about courtesan rates and wants to «see» the women who just went upstair (Zelena)...

I ended the session at this point. I love it when the player run the aventure for me. No idea how its going to go. But I have two weeks to think of something.
Last edited by shesheyan on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Nicely done. How does social status affect attribute/skill points?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:03 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 pm
Nicely done. How does social status affect attribute/skill points?
Thank you.

Its a minor difference of a few points between status levels. Plebian status means you have more points for Attributes but less on Skills. Stationary is the middle ground. Privileged you get less points for Attributes but more for Skills. The big different is on starting money : 500, 1000, 5000 Birrs.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:35 pm

The character's Free Trader ship :

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu May 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Getting ready for our next game this Saturday. I decided not to do the Dying Ship module this time around because exploring a ship is exactly what they did during their first mission. Instead, I'm mixing the corebook's hunt for a lost alien treasure mini-adventure with plot hook from Aram's Ravine. A freighter ship crashed landed two years ago in Jasma Drop, a crevasse in the territory of the Kalite, a local tribe of sand people, who are prone to capture slaves. Shulan Moro, the local governor, as learned a fable alien statuette of great value might be hidden in the freighter. He is ready to pay 20,000 Birrs if the statuette is brought back and share the freighters unidentified cargo fifty-fifty if its salvageable. A very rare window of 48 hours without acid rains is nearing Aram's Ravine. Its the perfect opportunity to accomplish this mission...
Last edited by shesheyan on Sun May 13, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 13, 2018 11:49 am

A few pictures of last night's game. The character accepted the mission to retrieve the alien statuette from the crash landing site. When they arrived at the location they discovered that the crew had survived for some time and build a small colony outpost using the cargo of their ship. But something went horribly wrong at some point. The survivors were now controlled by the statute which was imbedded in the chest of a troll-sized human. They were all overtaken by some sort of disease or nano-virus. Even the dogs looked feral. They PCs were no match against the 9 creatures and 2 dogs.

Having heard about a group of local desert dwellers the PCs managed to rally the Kalite and their lizard mounts to their cause. Together they attack the statuette's forces. The Kalite were happy to destroy these foul looking creatures who infested their territory. As part of the deal they negociated to keep the cargo and colony building kits for themselves. The PCs only wanted the statuette.

The possessed creatures were attempting to finish the construction of a communication antenna when the Kalite and PCs attacked. The slow moving creatures suddenly acquired quick reflexes now that they felt threatened. The combat last for 4 rounds. Several Kalite died during the battle. PC were lucky, their armor reducing damage to 0 each time. Once the leader was killed the surviving creatures stopped shooting and became immobile.

When the PC tried to remove the statuette from the leader's chest they discovered that alien device was actually healing the creature. Using his mercurial blade sword, Amirah, the Legionnaire of the group, chopped off the head of the leader. The PC put the cadaver with the statuette still in his chest inside the ship in a locked cabine. They said their farewells to the Kalite and lifted-off to deliver the statuette to Shulan Moro. On the way they had a heated discussion about the ethical dilemmas such an item posed. Some argued they should leave the planet and give it to The Foundation who would keep it in a safe environment and research it properties. But in the end the crew needed to make cash to pay the ship's debt and survive another month. They gave the statuette to Moro, who was extremely pleased. He even payed for the repairs done to their ship during the battle at Jasma Drop.

The Narzalus and her crew left Aram's Ravine with a chill down to their spine. They decided to head for the Coriolis space station in the center of the Horizon. A few hours after arriving the Bulletin new agency broadcasted a report about Shulan Moro, an exiled high level fonctionary, soon returning to Coriolis with after the discovery and containment of a life threatening alien artifact. In the interview Moro gave himself all the credit and never mentioned the contribution of the PCs. In their infinity wisdom the PCs had decided to record the battle at Jasma Drop using the ship's camera. They plan to use this against Moro at some point...

Thank for reading me.

[For those wondering, the engineer did go up to the prostitute's room. Zelena is a humanite and can alter her appearance by changing the color of her eyes, skin, hair and even modify the size of her breast. Being an engineer and extremely curious the character started asking all kinds of questions about her augmentation. After a while Zelena was really upset about this. He wasn't behaving like a typical customer and seemed to be fishing for something. She called the bouncer which expelled the PC from her room. During the scene the player failed all his rolls to Manipulate Zelena and Observe the room. It was sad to watch... we will never know what was written on the piece of paper!]

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Game #4 happened last night. No pictures this time. It was more of an in-between adventures kind of session. The crew arrived at Coriolis Station (the center of the Third Horizon), bought some equipment, weapons, payed for repairs to their vessel.

The Engineer built two hidden crawl spaces in the ship to hide smuggled goods. The player rolled a triple six each time (a critical). Anyone trying to detect them will have a -3 to Observation rolls.

The Captain and Data Djinn went looking for a contract at Wadim's Cantina. Mina, the captain, managed to find a good contract. A corporation lost contact with the crew of one of its ice haulers, the Olun II. The ship changed direction suddenly 13 hours ago and its heading towards a very dangerous and large asteroid field. All attempts to contact the captain or crew have failed. The corporation wants to keep the «authorities» out of it. Mina negotiated a fee of 30,000 Birrs for the mission. Adzem Kembouri, the corporation representative, will be onboard with them to make sure everything runs smoothly. The mission is to find the ship, learn what happened, steer the ship away from the asteroid field and save the cargo and crew.

A few hours later Narzalus left Coriolis in direction of the last known coordinates of the hauler Olun II. Sadly, the captain failed her piloting roll (no sixes). The trip takes longer then expected. This means the Narzalus will reach the Olun II only one hour before the hauler reaches the asteroid field. The mission just became far more dangerous...!

I will run the session #5 with a timer set on 1-hour. The characters will have 60 minutes to execute the mission before the hauler enters the asteroid field. This should prove very entertaining from the GMs point of view.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Game #5 happened last Saturday. I ran The Dying Ship scenario. The pilot botched his piloting roll so they arrived at the Orun II with only one hour left before it enters the asteroid field. To simulate that I created a visual aid. Using my Battleship Galaxies ships and hex board I placed the Orun II six hexes away from the asteroid field (on the right). A timer was set on a 60 minute count down. Each ten minutes I would move the ship one hex towards the field. It worked very well. They managed to save 4 crew members but the ship was destroyed.

Spoiler Alert: they found and stole the drugs on board the ship. They parlayed with the Djinn and agreed to send it back to the Kua jungle. The mercenaries believe they stolen the drugs but are not sure. A confrontation happened on Coriolis after the mission but the characters held their ground and had good manipulation rolls. The Mercenaries and Lt Remora will leave them alone... for now.

I ordered the Atlas book. It describes several planetary systems, provides rules to generate new systems, and a section to create missions.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Not sure if any of you are playing Coriolis but there is a Bundle price for 4 supplements on drivrethru. Contains 3 location-scenarios and 1 artifacts & faction tech : http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/216 ... nts-Bundle

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm

SPACE COMBAT Part 1

When space combat is eminent each crew member takes position at one of the 5 battle posts.

- Captain
- Engineer
- Pilot
- Sensor Operator
- Gunner

For crews of less then 5 characters a player can role-play more than one position. These «roles» not linked to a specific class but it makes sense, if you have a pilot character, to be in the pilot seat. In a crew without a Pilot (class) the character with the highest pilot skill will take the seat. That is interesting because in the avent of lost crew another character can take his place.

Captain is an elected position. Anyone can be the captain. Each combat round the Captain issues one secret order to a crew member. Once all captains have revealed their secret order they make Command rolls. Those that succeed will give a bonus equal to the number of sixes rolled. The character doesn't have to follow the order but if he does he gains a die to his roll. The Captain can of course issue other orders but these do not grant bonuses. They are suggestions only.

The Engineer, acting in the second phase, is responsible for energy distribution among the ship's systems. On his turn the engineer will give other characters X amount of energy to use during their turns. The engineer can spend energy for several action including repairing the ship. Larger ships have more energy points than smaller ships.

The Pilot acts in the third phase. Pilots make maneuver rolls in order of initiative. A pilot can make more than one maneuver in a turn if he has enough energy. Maneuvers are better positioning, advance/retreat, evasive maneuver, ramming, boarding.

Sensor Operator. In order of initiative the operator tries to get a lock on a target, break target lock, data pulse attacks, disappear (stealth).

Finally the gunners can fire weapon systems or use defensive fire or launch a torpedo.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm

I received my copy of the Atlas Compendium, a 64 page softcover expansion dedicated to the description of six star systems and their planets. With the Kua system of the core book the Third Horizon now feels like an actual setting the characters can travel. As per all other Coriolis products the books is full color and includes beautiful artwork. The paper weight is good and the finish is semi-gloss.

The description of each system and planets is succinct. If you are looking for Gazeteer level detail you won't find it in this book. On the other hand, and I'm starting to understand how the designers think, the description are filled with plot hooks and possible entanglements with local authorities/factions. I was taken aback a few weeks ago when I bought my first scenario-location PDF called Aram's Ravine because it is written in the same manner but it turned out to be very useful. The description of the planets include major cities and other areas of interest. Sadly there are no maps or plans. I would have liked to have at least one detailed map or plan of a location per system.

Also, included in the book is a System Generator. Were are told there are 36 systems in the Third Horizon. A GM can create a system and its planets by rolling on 10 (2d6) tables. Another set of tables is used to determine population size, space ports, hooks, number of faction present. I'm not a fan of generating systems and planets on the fly but this will be useful if the players venture outside the 7 described systems.

The second system in the book is the Mission Generator. Its filled with twenty-five d66 tables the generate missions, employers, agents, rewards, locations, complications, etc. Its like a open book in the mind of the Coriolis designers. This will be mined extensively to create my own missions.

The last section is dedicated to space travel, misfortunes and chance encounters that can happen in the darkness of space.

Included at the end are a mission track sheet, NPC sheet and system sheet.

While this is not an Atlas in the traditional sense the 64 page book packs quite a punch in usefulness. It feels like all the stuff that should have been in the core book but they couldn't put because it was already at 386 pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 pm

I have to admit I'm not sure I will write new updates for this thread. I feel like I'm preaching in the desert... the silence is deafening :(

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”