[Sci-Fi] Coriolis : The Third Horizon RPG

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Sci-Fi] Coriolis : The Third Horizon RPG

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm

CORIOLIS by Free League. Published by Modiphius.

I way lucky enough by buy this book from a friend who participated in the KS campaign.

For the setting imagine the "Arabian Nights in Space" + "Firefly" + ''a touch of Transhumanism''. The action takes place in the Third Horizon, an area colonized by humans in two waves. The Firstcome (with a portal star) and the Zenithians (generational ship left before but arrived after the Firstcome). A panoply of factions to spice up things will delight the GM. And there are the mysterious Emissaries, a very powerful enigmatic alien race, who come to stir things in the area. The characters start with a ship and must make end meet by taking contracts. The type of contract is determined by the types of operation they want to run.

First of all let me say the book is gorgeous. Its full of beautiful colored illustrations. The graphic design and layout is professional. Its a d6 die pool system. The more results you roll by 6, the more effective you are. A throw of 2 or more sixes can open the door to bonus effects.

From what I've read so far the players have their say on the type of party they want to play by choosing from a list of group concepts. The group then chooses a Boss and an Enemy, always according to a list based on the group concept. Then they make their characters based on these choices. There are classes that offer sub-concepts. The character will have a major flaw that gives XPs when well played and a "Buddy" in the group, which also gives XPs if the relationship is well played. Characters have access to Skills and Talents. 8 Basic Skills and 8 Advanced Skills.

Classes :
- Artist
- Data Spider
- Fugitive
- Negociator
- Operative
- Pilot
- Preacher
- Scientist
- Ship worker
- Soldier
- Trailblazer

There are also Icons (gods / all-powerful beings). Each person is connected to one of them at random at the beginning of the campaign. The character can pray this being to help him in his adventures. This gives additional dice but in return GM receives Dark Dice dice which he can use against players later.

Pleasant reading as a system. Rules lite when compared to Eclipse Phase. I hope to do some games later on.

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Sci-Fi] Coriolis : The Third Horizon

Post by shesheyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Reading the rules :

Activations :
At the beginning of each round the character receives 3 Action Points. He must spend them to activate. There are Slow Actions which cost 3APs, Normal actions that cost 2APs and Fast Actions that cost 1AP. There are also Free Actions. A character can keep APs in bank to react during the activation of ennemies. I'm used to this type of system in wargames. Should work well in RPGs. I will be using poker chips to represent the action points so we don't loose track of who is doing what during the round.

Armor :
When a character is hit she takes X amount of damage. Damage is fixed - no roll required. Armor gives you a number of d6s to roll to block damage. Each 6 you roll cancels one point of damage. I like this a lot. It makes the damage phase an active phase for the target instead of waiting for the «other guy» to roll damage you will receive. The implementation is different but I'm using the same idea for the RPG system I'm creating.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:42 am

Coriolis just got far more interesting with the launch of the KS for Emissary Lost - Epic Campaign book. A massive campaign module for the Coriolis scifi RPG. « It is the first part of the epic Mercy of the Icons campaign and will change the Coriolis universe forever. It is time for you to learn what The Third Horizon really means. »

I pressed the Pledge button. More info :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... escription

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Our first Coriolis game will take place on April 14th !

As per the ruleset it will be a «session 0» during which we will decide together :
1) The type of campaign
2) The type of group
3) Based on the two other choices we will create the characters (class and sub-classes).
4) Finally we will create the group's ship.

Then I will run a short encounter so we can get familiar with the system.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Shesheyan. Thanks for taking the time to summarzie this. The setting ad system sound very interesting. For some reason I keep confusing this with the Infinity RPG, probably just because both are your threads? :)

Do I understand it correctly that the game mechanics revolves around collecting successes on a d6 pool? What is the target number for successes? Are only 6's counted? If so, does this lead to very large dice pools?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am
Hi Shesheyan. Thanks for taking the time to summarzie this. The setting ad system sound very interesting. For some reason I keep confusing this with the Infinity RPG, probably just because both are your threads? :)

Do I understand it correctly that the game mechanics revolves around collecting successes on a d6 pool? What is the target number for successes? Are only 6's counted? If so, does this lead to very large dice pools?

-Havard
Understandable. They are both near future evolution of Earth's storyline. ;)

There is no TN. You take a number of dice equal to you attribute level +skill Level, modified +/- xd6 because of bonus and penalties. 1-2 success (6) is a Limited Success. A roll of 3+ success (6) is a Critical Success.

Some skills like melee, range and pilot, allow for bonus effects to be «bought» using your extra sixes (after the first 6).

If you have no 6s you are in trouble. Something goes wrong and the GM tells you what happened... BUT... before that you can «pray the Icons», mysterious gods of the setting, you get to re-roll all dice not showing sixes... BUT ... if you do this the GM is awarded a Dark Point he can spend to annoy the players late in the game by : Re-rolling an adversary die, taking the initiative with a NPC, declaring a character has an Empty Clip, declaring a character has Misfired, Make a Reactive Action with a NPC, declaring a character Lost a Possession.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:51 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:22 pm
Our first Coriolis game will take place on April 14th !

As per the ruleset it will be a «session 0» during which we will decide together :
1) The type of campaign
2) The type of group
3) Based on the two other choices we will create the characters (class and sub-classes).
4) Finally we will create the group's ship.

Then I will run a short encounter so we can get familiar with the system.
Because we have never played this system we opted to play the free adventure « Dark Flowers » with pre-generated character. If we like the system, then we will proceed to create a campaign and a group of characters in the recommended fashion.

The adventure is inside the quick start rules :
https://www.modiphius.net/collections/c ... e-book-pdf

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:02 am

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

A detailed review of Coriolis with some exemples of how the system works :
http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.ca/2018/03 ... stars.html

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

In preparation for our next game Saturday night I bought « Aram's Ravine » described as a scenario location by Modiphius. I've never heard of such a description before. At 15 pages I was expecting a short side trek style adventure. While their are descriptions of several locations, important NPCs and possible interactions between them and PCs, you will not find any detailed plans of buildings or an actual scenario/mission for the players. There are only two short paragraphs of possible adventures hooks at the end of the PDF. The GM has to do all the hard work. I didn't find what I was looking for but what is included is well written, engaging and the illustrations are beautiful.

I bought the «The Dying Ship» which is an actual module.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Nicely done. How does social status affect attribute/skill points?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:03 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 pm
Nicely done. How does social status affect attribute/skill points?
Thank you.

Its a minor difference of a few points between status levels. Plebian status means you have more points for Attributes but less on Skills. Stationary is the middle ground. Privileged you get less points for Attributes but more for Skills. The big different is on starting money : 500, 1000, 5000 Birrs.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:35 pm

The character's Free Trader ship :

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu May 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 13, 2018 11:49 am

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Not sure if any of you are playing Coriolis but there is a Bundle price for 4 supplements on drivrethru. Contains 3 location-scenarios and 1 artifacts & faction tech : http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/216 ... nts-Bundle

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm

SPACE COMBAT Part 1

When space combat is eminent each crew member takes position at one of the 5 battle posts.

- Captain
- Engineer
- Pilot
- Sensor Operator
- Gunner

For crews of less then 5 characters a player can role-play more than one position. These «roles» not linked to a specific class but it makes sense, if you have a pilot character, to be in the pilot seat. In a crew without a Pilot (class) the character with the highest pilot skill will take the seat. That is interesting because in the avent of lost crew another character can take his place.

Captain is an elected position. Anyone can be the captain. Each combat round the Captain issues one secret order to a crew member. Once all captains have revealed their secret order they make Command rolls. Those that succeed will give a bonus equal to the number of sixes rolled. The character doesn't have to follow the order but if he does he gains a die to his roll. The Captain can of course issue other orders but these do not grant bonuses. They are suggestions only.

The Engineer, acting in the second phase, is responsible for energy distribution among the ship's systems. On his turn the engineer will give other characters X amount of energy to use during their turns. The engineer can spend energy for several action including repairing the ship. Larger ships have more energy points than smaller ships.

The Pilot acts in the third phase. Pilots make maneuver rolls in order of initiative. A pilot can make more than one maneuver in a turn if he has enough energy. Maneuvers are better positioning, advance/retreat, evasive maneuver, ramming, boarding.

Sensor Operator. In order of initiative the operator tries to get a lock on a target, break target lock, data pulse attacks, disappear (stealth).

Finally the gunners can fire weapon systems or use defensive fire or launch a torpedo.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm

I received my copy of the Atlas Compendium, a 64 page softcover expansion dedicated to the description of six star systems and their planets. With the Kua system of the core book the Third Horizon now feels like an actual setting the characters can travel. As per all other Coriolis products the books is full color and includes beautiful artwork. The paper weight is good and the finish is semi-gloss.

The description of each system and planets is succinct. If you are looking for Gazeteer level detail you won't find it in this book. On the other hand, and I'm starting to understand how the designers think, the description are filled with plot hooks and possible entanglements with local authorities/factions. I was taken aback a few weeks ago when I bought my first scenario-location PDF called Aram's Ravine because it is written in the same manner but it turned out to be very useful. The description of the planets include major cities and other areas of interest. Sadly there are no maps or plans. I would have liked to have at least one detailed map or plan of a location per system.

Also, included in the book is a System Generator. Were are told there are 36 systems in the Third Horizon. A GM can create a system and its planets by rolling on 10 (2d6) tables. Another set of tables is used to determine population size, space ports, hooks, number of faction present. I'm not a fan of generating systems and planets on the fly but this will be useful if the players venture outside the 7 described systems.

The second system in the book is the Mission Generator. Its filled with twenty-five d66 tables the generate missions, employers, agents, rewards, locations, complications, etc. Its like a open book in the mind of the Coriolis designers. This will be mined extensively to create my own missions.

The last section is dedicated to space travel, misfortunes and chance encounters that can happen in the darkness of space.

Included at the end are a mission track sheet, NPC sheet and system sheet.

While this is not an Atlas in the traditional sense the 64 page book packs quite a punch in usefulness. It feels like all the stuff that should have been in the core book but they couldn't put because it was already at 386 pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 pm

I have to admit I'm not sure I will write new updates for this thread. I feel like I'm preaching in the desert... the silence is deafening :(

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 pm

I appreciate the writeups. I would love to do an adventure with a time limit like you included.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:14 pm

I also appreciate the write ups, even though i'll be more likely to lurk than actually have any meaningful input. I do like the system, but would rather it wasn't so heavily linked to the setting (as good as the setting is!)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:11 am

Ah finally some replies! Thank you !!! I will make the write up of session #6 later this week.

@Darkanth : Its a great system indeed. Renaming everything should work fine. Some group play Coriolis without using the Arab names and 1000 nights feel of the setting - apparently they can't handle that because of all the ISIS stuff going on in the real world. I understand why they do that but since the setting never mentions Islam or the Prophet I find its a bit excessive. My players actually enjoy the Arian Nights meets Firefly feeling go the game.

Unless I'm mistaken the only real system that is tied to the setting are the Icons - praying and invoking the icons to get re-rolls and giving the GM dark points. Maybe its possible to turn that into a pantheon of Christian/Jewish/Arab/Indu/Asian, etc religious figures OR just use it without any link to a setting. As an exemple Numenera intrusion points are not linked to the setting in any way. Its less cool but it works fine.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”