[D&D] Unusual Strongholds

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[D&D] Unusual Strongholds

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 pm

Matt Colville's Kickstarter recently introduced the idea of a Pirate Ship as a Stronghold. I believe another example in his upcoming book will be a "Barbarian Camp".

Have you used any unusual Stronghold types in your campaigns? What are more ideas for Strongholds? What effects would unusual Strongholds have in a campaign? I like Colville's idea that Pirate Ships and Barbarian Camps will eventually transform nearby hexes if they remain in the same location for a sufficient amount of time.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [D&D] Unusual Strongholds

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Havard wrote:What effects would unusual Strongholds have in a campaign?
CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook suggests that a priest can build up a stronghold that has a major game-changing effect on a campaign. The priest has to cast the 4th Level Focus spell (from the Tome of Magic) on their stronghold, at the start and end of a year. The second time the spell is cast allows the priest's deity to break into that crystal sphere and gain the same access to the sphere as the local deities.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”