[2d20] Infinity RPG by Modiphius & Corvus Belli

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[2d20] Infinity RPG by Modiphius & Corvus Belli

Post by shesheyan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:56 pm

As someone who played the INFINITY miniature game by Corvus Belli for years I'm happy to see that the corebook and player book are now (finally) available for sale in gaming stores. I didn't back the KS and I haven't bought the books yet, but I plan to. I gave them a quick look over at the store earlier this week. The production quality is very good. The setting is a very rich trans-human creation inspired by Altered Carbon / Revelation Space / Culture Books and other novels.

I found this review - full review in the link below :

« Quote : The Introduction ends with a discussion of the sort of campaigns and adventures you might play. The default is that the party are agents of Bureau Noir, the 'secret service' of an international pan-stellar organisation called O-12 whose mission is to keep the peace amongst all the factions of humanity. Just to keep things interesting, individual party members may also have allegience to one of the factions, undertaking errands (often secretly) alongside the missions they are tasked with by O-12. Naturally if that doesn't appeal to your group, a setting as rich and diverse as this one presents plenty of opportunities for adventure - exploring, trading, or working for a faction furthering its aims. »

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_reviews_i ... _id=188902
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Infinity RPG by Modiphius & Corvus Belli

Post by shesheyan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:01 pm

A detailed overview of the core book in 8 parts. After reading them I want to buy this game NOW but I'll have to wait for more $$$ to come in.

Quote : Overall, Infinity is a win. It hits all the major buttons for a sci-fi universe, and the system is robust enough to run pretty much anything you’d want. GMs can zoom in or out, having players participate in grandiose schemes that decide the fate of entire worlds, or focus on the everyday struggles of a pack of criminals trying to make do. It’s all possible, and no matter what you’d like to try, there’s likely a solid backbone of hypertech material to make it work.

Link to the series of articles (each article opens in a separate browser page) :
https://philgamer.wordpress.com/2018/01 ... roduction/

zontoxira
Planewalker

Re: [2d20] Infinity RPG by Modiphius & Corvus Belli

Post by zontoxira » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:57 pm

My buddy brought 2d20 Conan a few weeks ago, and I'm eagerly waiting to try it. From what I've read so far, the system looks neat. I know nothing about Infinity, though.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:03 am

zontoxira wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:57 pm
My buddy brought 2d20 Conan a few weeks ago, and I'm eagerly waiting to try it. From what I've read so far, the system looks neat. I know nothing about Infinity, though.
Very cool. I'm jealous. Give us your impressions after the game !

I know that 2d20 System was modified for INFINITY. Which IMHO is a very good idea and shows that they didn't just slap Infinity on the cover. I'm no longer a fan of generic systems but this is the right approach. It piqued my interest enough to want to buy it.

Articles #2 and #6 of the above post will give you a good overview of the Infinity Setting. A short read actually if you can spend the time.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 pm

I bought the soft cover Infinity Player's Guide today at the local store. It contains everything a gm and players need to try the game. At $15US if I don't like the system I won't mind the expense.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 pm

COMBAT DICE (dice you roll for damage) :
So instead of using gimmick dice this system uses the d6 in a fun way. The Combat Dice results are : 1 or 2 equivalent damage, 3-5 is a blank, 6 triggers a special effect of the weapon. You roll more or less dice depending on the strength of the weapon.

Ex: a weapon with 4+4d6 will deal a base of 4 damage + damage you roll on 4 Combat Dice + Special Effects of the weapon if you roll 6s. The dice you roll the more chance you have of getting special effects.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Character Creation uses a Life Path of 9 steps that starts at birth. All stats begin at 7 and you get bonuses as the Life of the character is defined by the steps. You can randomly roll using tables or select one choice for each step. If you choose random generation you have 5 Life Points to change the outcome of rolls. Its good thing because there is character Death and a few unsavory Events a player might not be comfortable with.

STEPS :
• Birth Host
• Faction and Heritage
• Homeworld / Homeland
• Status
• Youth Event
• Education
• Adolscencent Event
• Careers
• Final Customization
Last edited by shesheyan on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:23 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:56 pm
I found this review - full review in the link below
I've met Megan in real-life. (We have been to other planets together.) I believe she has an account on The Piazza too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Ressource Management:
I know some people don't like ressource management in rpg. I don't see that as a crutch telling me how to GM as some have mentioned before. I like them if its done well. For example in Coriolis each time players use a Prayer token to re-roll it becomes a Dark token for the GM to use later against the group. Its called risk management and is better than flat action points because there is reciprocity on both sides of the screen. Infinity proposes three ressources :

Infinity Points (2 to 4 per session) : Are the basic daily action points for re-rolls, bonus action, story declaration, etc

Heat & Momentum (reciprocity) :
Heat: For the GM. Are generated by player botched rolls, when characters attempt reactions, when player uses momentum.

Momentum: When a player roll generates more than the number of successes required for the action the excess generates one point of Momentum that is accumulated and can be used later. Momentum can also be stored in a group pool. At the end of each scene the Momentum pool diminishes automatically by -1. Players can also pay Heat to the GM instead of the cost in Momentum points for special actions.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:42 pm

I've taken a break from reading this book. I feel there is a good game somewhere in there but the way the Player's Manuel is written its very obtuse with very few exemples. Maybe you get more info the Corebook I don't know. Usually I can flip through rpg books and tell the system does this and that rather quickly. With this game I will have to sit down and actually create a character to have a clearer picture...

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”