[13th Age] Why is it called 13th Age?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[13th Age] Why is it called 13th Age?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Why is 13th Age called 13th Age?

Were there 12 other ages?

What happened during the previous ages? Has the world been destroyed 12 times or somesuch?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: [13th Age] Why is it called 13th Age?

Post by Sturm » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:45 pm

I was curious about this too and found that http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php ... k-of-ages/ which probably contains the answer.
It seem each DM is supposed to make up his own ages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Sturm wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:45 pm
I was curious about this too and found that http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php ... k-of-ages/ which probably contains the answer.
Nice.

I wonder if that is expanding on something already outlined in a core rulebook. :?
Sturm wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:45 pm
It seem each DM is supposed to make up his own ages.
13th Age does seem to be very much a DIY thing.

I wonder why they would call it 13th Age, if they didn't have at least some of those ages worked out. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

waderockett
Kobold

Post by waderockett » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:52 pm

In this interview http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... h-Age-quot prior to the game's release, co-designer Jonathan Tweet said:
Thirteen is a powerful, ominous number, but there’s more to it than that. In the 13th Age setting, civilization has gone through twelve distinct ages, each one different from the others. This idea plays into a core concept in 13th Age, which is customizability. During the twelve preceding ages, civilization has taken different shapes. In some ages, the dwarves and the elves get along. In others, they are mortal enemies. There is no one right way for the rulers and enemies of civilization to interact. Implicitly, then, the GM or the player is allowed to customize the setting. That’s the way things are “in this age,” different from the norm. No two 13th Age campaigns are the same, or even really can be.

Metaphorically, Rob and I hearken back to roleplaying in an earlier age. You might say we’re returning to the “pre-grid” age.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Indeed, it is intended that the setting is vague and offers a lot of space for customisation.
It's not necessarily my favourite approach, but it's a clearly defined one.
GP

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:15 am

It's hard to add to what Jonathan Tweet said on the topic. :)

Some of the adventures and supplements have mentioned past ages and former icons. They generally keep it vague, but there's definitely a sense that the Dragon Empire has a long history and that while some things have remained fairly consistent (there's been a Dragon Emperor), others have changed in the most recent age (the Priestess appeared).

I'm excited about the Book of Ages that Sturm pointed out. It sounds similar to the game Microscope, which make collaborative world-building a lot of fun (it turns it into a game, in fact).
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”