[TSR Alternity] Rules: What do you dislike/like?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[TSR Alternity] Rules: What do you dislike/like?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Considering re-buying the core books of the system. I'm curious as to what others like and/or dislike about the rules system.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [TSR Alternity] Rules: What do you dislike/like?

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:49 pm

I never played Alternity but some people have said they do not like the «roll under» mechanic for success. I personally find it interesting. Cthuluh works the same way and its a classic and well loved RPG. Its probably due to the fact that a lot of buyers of Alternity were D&D (TSR) customers and used to roll over.
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 am

Low-level characters are far too incompetent, both in the breadth of their skills and the depth of their specializations. They don't represent the intended fiction well at all.

I also don't like the jump between d12 and d20, which doesn't make any sense to me at all, and then adding addtional d20 penalty dice... just huge, completely incongruous cliffs in the difficulty curve.
Viktyr C Gehrig

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:07 am

I love the system, almost as much as I love the settings, but it needs serious house-ruling.

Also... non-intellectual skills are too dependent on the Intelligence stat.
Viktyr C Gehrig

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:26 am

Skill costs -- by the book -- are ridiculously expensive.

Fortunately, for this, and most of the other gripes, there are the A-team's official optional rules.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:49 am

I liked the based concept of the dice chain, where you would add or subtract various dice types depending upon the various modifiers that seem to fit the situation.

Also, for those who don't like a "roll low" game it's easy to flip the whole thing over.
FaerieGodfather wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 am
I also don't like the jump between d12 and d20, which doesn't make any sense to me at all, and then adding addtional d20 penalty dice... just huge, completely incongruous cliffs in the difficulty curve.
Remember that when Alternity was created, there was no DCC RPG and so many of the dice created for that system could be used in a revised dice chain. (E.g. between the d12 and d20 we now also have d14's and d16's, which didn't exist back in the day.)
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:26 am

Fortunately, for this, and most of the other gripes, there are the A-team's official optional rules.
Very interesting document. Saved on my computer. It good to see when a community can produce a document that makes the game better. Finarvyn has a point, Dungeon Crawl Classics dice could be used. Has anyone worked on that for Alternity?
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm
RobJN wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:26 am

Very interesting document. Saved on my computer. It good to see when a community can produce a document that makes the game better. Finarvyn has a point, Dungeon Crawl Classics dice could be used. Has anyone worked on that for Alternity?
Those optional rules are from the developers themselves. I'm not sure if they were a result of feedback from players after the release, or from the designers' own findings from in-house playtesting. Rich or Bill may have talked about it in their Alternity Game Day chats from back in the day....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm
Finarvyn has a point, Dungeon Crawl Classics dice could be used. Has anyone worked on that for Alternity?
I'm not sure there would be much to "work on" for this. I haven't played Alternity in years, but my memory is simply that there is this dice chain and you brainstorm the number of factors working for or factors working against an action taking place, then you move that number of dice on the chain to determine what die adjusts the d20 roll.

So, dice mechanic is: d20 +/- adjustment die.

If the jump from d12 to d20 is too large, simply add dice in the chain and use them.

Standard polyhedral dice chain = d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 (maybe with a d3 in there?)
Dice chain with Goodman dice = d3, d4, d5, d7, d8, d10, d12, d14, d16, d20

And if that's too many, you wouldn't have to use all of the Goodman dice options. I think that's all you need. No real work involved, unless there is something important that I've forgotten about Alternity. :|
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”