[Star Frontiers] Change of Permissions from WotC

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Star Frontiers] Change of Permissions from WotC

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 am

For years now StarFrontiersman have made available Star Frontiers remastered rulebooks, SF modules and the fanzine StarFrontiersman - all that with the permission of WOTC. This changed in February 2018 :

Quote : Change of Permissions from WotC
Posted on Feburary 26th 2018 by Tom Stephens

I was contacted last week by WotC to let me know that they were revoking my permissions to post materials related to the Star Frontiers game and the original Dragon magazine articles. Based on the wording of the information I received, that definitely means that all the remastered rules and modules need to come down.

It also means that any magazine issues that contain Dragon articles will need to be removed as well. What is unclear (and I'm waiting to hear back from them) is if any of the other, fan created material has to come down as well. As WotC owns the copyright on Star Frontiers, this is completely within their rights to request.

We always knew it would eventually happen if they ever started publishing/selling material related to Star Frontiers again which they have with the recent release of PDF and print-on-demand versions of the original material on DriveThruRPG (and related sites). In order to comply with the request, I'll be removing the remastered rules, modules, and affected magazine issues later this week after the first of the month. If they allow the magazine issues to stay up, I'll repost the removed issues with the Dragon magazine articles redacted.

During my conversation with WotC, they said that even though things had to come down now, there may be a chance that everything could be reposted in the future. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll keep everyone informed as I learn more. "

Source : http://starfrontiersman.com

I guess this is also a move to protect their intellectual property and not loose the IP like they did with the «Alternity» name which Sasquatch appropriated through disuse. Games Workshop had similar problems a few years ago. They lost court case about property names that were too generic (space marines). They have been renaming everything since then and republishing old properties like Necromunda.

On the other hand I'm thinking (and secretly hoping) the Mearls team is working on a 5E Star Frontiers version... but I'm well aware this wishful thinking.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Star Frontiers] Change of Permissions from WotC

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 am

Official fan content policy since November 15, 2017 :
https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 am

This move seems to originate from a bid by Evil Hat to licence the Star Frontiers name :
Source : http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... -Frontiers

Quote : Evil Hat, of course, is the publisher of the popular ENnie-winning Fate line of RPGs, which is a flexible system designed to accommodate a vast array of settings. Whether they plan to make a Fate version of Star Frontiers is far, far too early to start speculating on. I guess we may find out more next year, if the trademark application is approved.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:08 am

Interesting. I've kinda not been much online lately, so this tidbit slipped past me this year.
Thanks for posting this.

Alpha Dawn & Knight Hawks rule! ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”