[AGE System] Modern AGE

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[AGE System] Modern AGE

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:13 am

I keep looking for a light rules set* to replace D20 Modern. Our recent discussions on genre brought up some possible candidates. I've tried Savage World, BRP doesn't interest me, Cypher System outside Numenera doesn't gel with me, GURPS is not light...etc

So I'm looking at Modern AGE, the contemporary version of Fantasy Age (the rpg formerly know as Dragon Age). Have any of you played with the quick start rules? How does the game flow?

(*note that I don't consider 5E a light ruleset but its definitely lighter then 3.5)
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [AGE System] Modern AGE

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:31 pm

I've read the quick starter rules. I'm getting a Barbarians of Lemuria kind of vibe in terms of ease of use and streamlined mechanics. A bit more complex but not too much more. I'm sure I could do a nine session (4-hours) mini-campaign out of this system.

Includes five pre-gen characters. One of them is an Expert (profession) with Digital Arcana Talent (hacker) and Fire Arcana Talent (wizard) for those who want some fantasy in their modern campaign. The others are medic, brawler, negociator, investigator.
Last edited by shesheyan on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:09 pm

I have the core book in PDF already (waiting for them to ship the physical copy). So, I have not played with the quickstart rules because I have the full set.

I like the flow a lot. The different levels of play (Gritty, Pulp, Cinematic) make it feel like entirely different games. I am currently running a gritty cop drama style realistic game (no magic, all modern, guns kill), and a cinematic game inspired by 90s cartoons (Gargoyles etc.), and the two feel like different games because the focus is on different things.

What I also like is the different stunts for different things, and the expanded types of stunts. There are also special stunts for different modes of play (Gritty etc), which serve to kind of change the flow and feel.

Also, it's classless!

Overall, it's a really enjoyable modern era game system

(If you haven't noticed by now, I am pretty much all in on AGE)
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 pm

It looks like there is a campaign setting coming out for this, called The World of Lazarus: A Modern AGE Campaign Setting:
Amazon wrote:The World of Lazarus: A Modern AGE Campaign Setting
Hardcover – 8 Jan 2019
by Neal Bailey (Author), Crystal Fraiser (Author), Robert MacKenzie (Author), & 2 more

The World of Lazarus is the first campaign setting for Green Ronin's new Modern AGE RPG. Based on the critically acclaimed Lazarus series by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark and presented by Image Comics, the book brings this noir dystopia to tabletop roleplaying games. In the near future, time has rendered death obsolete, and life infinitely cheap. In the wake of governments' failure and global upheaval, the Families stepped in and divvied up the world. Now peace and order reign in a world of technological marvels and neo-feudalism. The Families quietly war with one another, wagering the lives of loyal Serfs while they relax in lives of indulgence, all while the Waste-those left behind by this new order-struggle daily for base survival. Play members of a Family in the highest of high-stakes game, Serfs fighting for their Family's interests to maintain order and safety, or disaffected Waste fighting for a better life in the burned ruins of the old world. The World of Lazarus requires the Modern AGE Basic Rulebook for use.
I don't know this comic series, so I'm not sure what sort of themes it's world has, but I'm guessing that there are probably Modern AGE rules to support the World of Lazarus. I don't know what sort of d20 Modern settings you liked, but if any of them were similar to World of Lazarus, you might want to check this out.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:09 pm
I have the core book in PDF already (waiting for them to ship the physical copy). So, I have not played with the quickstart rules because I have the full set.

I like the flow a lot. The different levels of play (Gritty, Pulp, Cinematic) make it feel like entirely different games. I am currently running a gritty cop drama style realistic game (no magic, all modern, guns kill), and a cinematic game inspired by 90s cartoons (Gargoyles etc.), and the two feel like different games because the focus is on different things.

What I also like is the different stunts for different things, and the expanded types of stunts. There are also special stunts for different modes of play (Gritty etc), which serve to kind of change the flow and feel.

Also, it's classless!

Overall, it's a really enjoyable modern era game system

(If you haven't noticed by now, I am pretty much all in on AGE)
LOL! I figured as much!

I love it when a game offers 3 levels of play (Gritty, Pulp, Cinematic). This just sold me to Modern AGE. Should set up a one-shot with the quick start rules and pre-gen soonish. ;)

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:18 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 pm
This just sold me to Modern AGE
:D :D :D

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:18 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 pm
This just sold me to Modern AGE
:D :D :D
Thanks for the input. Bought the Modern pdf earlier. Very clean design. Illustrations are very good to excellent... back to reading the rules. ;)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:02 pm

READING MODERN AGE
Content moved to a new thread : viewtopic.php?f=86&t=20166

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:16 pm

MY BOOK CAME YESTERDAY!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 am

Cool!
I'm waiting on the result of our one-shot with the quick start rule mission before I buy the physical book.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:30 am

My Modern AGE setting stuff will be here

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Playing my first game of Modern AGE tomorrow. My character, Spook77, is an infiltrator (athlete), Outsider (motorbike gang). His (npc) girlfriend, Switch44, is a hacker (technician), middle class (fled her home). The GM didn't tell us anything about the adventure (of 3-4 sessions) except that we are part of a criminal organization and things will go sideways... sounds like fun.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Sounds fun. Good luck when things go sideways!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:25 am

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm
Sounds fun. Good luck when things go sideways!
Really liked the AGE system. The game was a great success. We started out as a small time criminal outfit operating at the back of a tattoo shop. The story took place today in 2018 in our home town during the election campaign for the new provincial prime minister. We were hired to find dirt on one of the politicians trying become Prime Minister of the province of Quebec. After some digging by our hacker we discovered that his right hand man was a cocaine user... we black mailed him and he told us the candidate disappeared once a week for a few hours. No one knew were he was. We followed the politician, at night, to a park near the Saint Lawrence river were he undressed, transformed into a frog-like mythos creature and entered to water. We were completely freaked out and not sure what to do. We are no heroes. We decided two days later to organized a hit on the politician and killed him with a sniper rifle as he came out of his Montreal hotel. His second hand man took over the party the next day. We suspect he might also be a mythos cultist (and possibly a creature) but we have no proof. The game ended there. It was one of the best one-shot games I participated in.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”