[AGE System] Fantasy AGE Companion (includes Steam Punk)

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

[AGE System] Fantasy AGE Companion (includes Steam Punk)

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:21 am

Companion expands to Fantasy AGE corebook. Much to my surprise I read this in the last paragraph of the description :

This book opens the way to new genres and campaign styles. Run a steampunk campaign with gunfighters and clockwork cars, or a battle of good versus evil featuring divine magic and Blooded characters, descended from dark and angelic beings. The choice is yours!

I wasn't expecting that. How much of the book is dedicated to steampunk tropes? As anyone bought the book. What did you think of it?
Last edited by shesheyan on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Kythkyn
Gnoll
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Gender: female
Location: Somewhere on the Savage Coast
Contact:

Re: [AGE System ] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:58 am

I got it immediately when it dropped, getting the PDF that night and the physical book soon after. We tore into it and started coming up with some ideas right away for how to use the stuff. Honestly, it's really worth it, especially if you're using the basic game. The arcana in the core book are expanded, adding four new spells each, and the new arcana each have eight spells. There are new specializations, including specializations that belong to multiple classes, and the new races are really cool. Honestly, they're really kind of normal fantasy trope races, but the stats and implementation none the less is neat.

As to the steampunk stuff, there is more info on black powder weapons, as well as stuff on vehicles (airships, trains etc.) The book doesn't have so much a steampunk chapter as it does a lot of information throughout that can easily be used to create a steampunk world. Like the core book, it doesn't go too heavily into gear though.

One of the things that I really like and want to use soon is the organization rules. Again, they're nothing so unique to the system, but they are tailored to it and pretty simple to use. Plus there are even organization stunts for when you roll during organization phases.

Overall I think it's a really solid book!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: [AGE System ] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Another question. How does advancement work? Its too briefly explained in the quick start rules.

User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am
Gender: male
Location: Emirate of Kobara
Contact:

Re: [AGE System ] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by timemrick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:19 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm
Another question. How does advancement work? Its too briefly explained in the quick start rules.
I don't have my book handy, but IIRC, when you reach a new level you gain:
  • More Health Points (1d6 + Con, or just Con at 11th level and up).
  • More Magic Points, if you're a mage (1d6 + Willpower, or just Willpower at 11th+).
  • One advancement to a single ability score. This usually means a +1, but higher scores require multiple advancements to improve. At even levels, you get an advancement to one of your class's 4 primary abilities; at odd levels, to one of your 5 secondary abilities.
  • One new ability focus. You alternate getting primary or secondary ability focuses the same way you do with ability advancements.
  • One (or rarely, two) new abilities determined by your class and level. This might be a new or improved talent (the most common), an arcane talent, an ability focus, a stunt bonus, or an improvement to a class feature (like the mage's arcane blast). At certain levels, you gain or improve a specialization that you qualify for, which mostly works like a talent.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: [AGE System ] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:39 pm

timemrick wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:19 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm
Another question. How does advancement work? Its too briefly explained in the quick start rules.
I don't have my book handy, but IIRC, when you reach a new level you gain:
  • More Health Points (1d6 + Con, or just Con at 11th level and up).
  • More Magic Points, if you're a mage (1d6 + Willpower, or just Willpower at 11th+).
  • One advancement to a single ability score. This usually means a +1, but higher scores require multiple advancements to improve. At even levels, you get an advancement to one of your class's 4 primary abilities; at odd levels, to one of your 5 secondary abilities.
  • One new ability focus. You alternate getting primary or secondary ability focuses the same way you do with ability advancements.
  • One (or rarely, two) new abilities determined by your class and level. This might be a new or improved talent (the most common), an arcane talent, an ability focus, a stunt bonus, or an improvement to a class feature (like the mage's arcane blast). At certain levels, you gain or improve a specialization that you qualify for, which mostly works like a talent.
Super cool! Advancement look pretty strait forward. I like the progression with odd and even levels. Nothing new but its a good idea to give player something new every level.

Have you played at higher levels (11+)? Is the system still manageable for players in game or is their too many focuses and talents per character? I'm guessing that improved talents and improved focus/stuns reduces the total number of stuff to manage as they replace a former talent/focus.

User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8488
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Contact:

Re: [AGE System] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:37 pm

How much of the book is fluff? I'm interested in getting it, but mostly to raid for other rule-sets.

User avatar
Tim Baker
Axe Beak
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:51 am
Gender: male
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: [AGE System] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:51 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:37 pm
How much of the book is fluff? I'm interested in getting it, but mostly to raid for other rule-sets.
The book is almost entirely crunch. Sometimes I get ideas for house rules by reading other rule sets, and the way the book presents lots of new options in digestible chunks makes it a good source of mechanical ideas. But it's not going to yield much in terms of new ideas for your campaign settings or character concepts.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.


User avatar
Dragon Turtle
Initiate
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:35 pm
Gender: male

Re: [AGE System] Fantasy AGE Companion (includes Steam Punk)

Post by Dragon Turtle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Discussion of AGE Bestiary split into a separate thread here.

-Dragon Turtle
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Kythkyn
Gnoll
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Gender: female
Location: Somewhere on the Savage Coast
Contact:

Re: [AGE System] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:51 am
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:37 pm
How much of the book is fluff? I'm interested in getting it, but mostly to raid for other rule-sets.
The book is almost entirely crunch. Sometimes I get ideas for house rules by reading other rule sets, and the way the book presents lots of new options in digestible chunks makes it a good source of mechanical ideas. But it's not going to yield much in terms of new ideas for your campaign settings or character concepts.
The core coupled with the companion gives a decent amount of modularity. Creating races (or even just like... templates) is super simple, even if it's not directly explained in the book. The closest to an implied setting is kind of what you'd expect from a fantasy RPG. Elves, dwarves. None of it is intrinsic to the other rules though. So there's no "Dwarven Defender" unless you make it.
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am
Gender: male
Location: Emirate of Kobara
Contact:

Re: [AGE System ] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by timemrick » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:47 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Have you played at higher levels (11+)? Is the system still manageable for players in game or is their too many focuses and talents per character? I'm guessing that improved talents and improved focus/stuns reduces the total number of stuff to manage as they replace a former talent/focus.
I've only run a couple of adventures with starting characters. I intend to do more with the system, but it has to compete with Pathfinder Society, trying to get my Pathfinder campaign restarted, and occasionally running D&D 5E for my kids.

As a thought exercise, my wife and I tried to rebuild an old character of hers (an epic-level rogue from 3E) in Fantasy AGE. Not everything could be converted, naturally, but I think we were able to capture the core of the character pretty well--with an order of magnitude less work than building a d20 character of the same level!
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Post Reply

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”