[AGE System] Bestiary

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[AGE System] Bestiary

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Monsters! Monsters! Monsters! The Fantasy AGE Bestiary gives Game Masters a plethora of new foes to challenge their players, from classics like the basilisk and minotaur to new monsters like the eldritch crown and shard lord. Each creature is fully detailed, with background information, adventure hooks, game stats, and variants.

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:58 am
Overall I think it's a really solid book!
Thanks for taking the time write about the book. Are there steampunk-clockwork foes in the Bestiary?

Admin edit: Split from this thread at the request of the thread starter.

-Dragon Turtle
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Re: [AGE System ] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:36 pm
Kythkyn wrote:
Thanks for taking the time write about the book. Are there steampunk-clockwork foes in the Bestiary?
Yes! There are quite a few foes, and above and beyond that, there are lay-overs and a template that are specifically steam- and mechanical related!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [AGE System ] Fantasy AGE Companion

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:36 pm
Kythkyn wrote:
Yes! There are quite a few foes, and above and beyond that, there are lay-overs and a template that are specifically steam- and mechanical related!
Sweet! lay-overs and templates are very useful in my book. Its fun to scramble player expectations by changing the routine. All of a sudden what looks like a know foe is different. Brings back the sense of mystery and challenge.

Are the foes in the Bestiary compatible with Modern AGE? Could be useful if someone wants to make an Urban Arcana/Buffy style campaign.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Re: [AGE System] Bestiary

Post by Kythkyn » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:21 pm

There has been some discussion on the GR message board, but from what I have played with them, they're pretty much completely compatible. Because the monsters aren't made to be balanced 100% against player characters so much as they are balanced against themselves. So it's not like 3e D&D, where there are essentially "monster levels" that are going to dictate things like hit dice and so on. It's more "this is what's needed to make this kind of challenge", so the monsters are compatible. And there are plenty of cryptids anyway, so those all fit modern as well as fantasy

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:10 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:21 pm
There has been some discussion on the GR message board, but from what I have played with them, they're pretty much completely compatible. Because the monsters aren't made to be balanced 100% against player characters so much as they are balanced against themselves. So it's not like 3e D&D, where there are essentially "monster levels" that are going to dictate things like hit dice and so on. It's more "this is what's needed to make this kind of challenge", so the monsters are compatible. And there are plenty of cryptids anyway, so those all fit modern as well as fantasy
Excellent news!
This will allow me to reuse my old D20 Modern campaign with my new group. ;)

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:04 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:10 pm
Excellent news!
There aren't too many templates, but they explain how to make them. Which is super valuable, I think.

Also, I have been considering how to redo a modern campaign I'd worked on years ago (Anno Arcani) with M-AGE. I should probably share notes as I go ^_^

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:04 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:10 pm
Excellent news!
There aren't too many templates, but they explain how to make them. Which is super valuable, I think.

Also, I have been considering how to redo a modern campaign I'd worked on years ago (Anno Arcani) with M-AGE. I should probably share notes as I go ^_^
I'll be looking forward to your notes. Always fun to read what other GMs do in the modern era. There are so many possibilities. ;)

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”