[FFG] Legend of the Five Rings RPG (5e)

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[FFG] Legend of the Five Rings RPG (5e)

Post by shesheyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Saw the Beginner Game box (39.95$US) tonight at the local store. I missed the announcements for this game. There is also a core book and setting book and a gamester screen available. The production value seems excellent. A friend of mine bought the box on the spot. Hope to try it soonish.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/l ... nner-game/
Last edited by shesheyan on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [FFG] Legend of the Five Rings RPG

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:22 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Saw the Beginner Game box (39.95$US) tonight at the local store. I missed the announcements for this game. There is also a core book and setting book and a gamester screen available. The production value seems excellent. A friend of mine bought the box on the spot. Hope to try it soonish.

I have some books for various editions of this game. I never had chance to play, but the system looks interesting and the setting looks like alot of fun.

One thing I know about this game is that it is very deadly. That might not be everyone's cup of tea. At the very least I think it might be a good idea to prepare the players for what they are getting into. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:22 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm

I have some books for various editions of this game. I never had chance to play, but the system looks interesting and the setting looks like alot of fun.

One thing I know about this game is that it is very deadly. That might not be everyone's cup of tea. At the very least I think it might be a good idea to prepare the players for what they are getting into. :)

-Havard
Well if you enter a game were there are samurais and don't expect lethality, you haven't been watching tv shows and movies for the last 40 years! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously I can't find reviews for this edition (5e) on the internet. So I have no idea about lethality.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:43 pm

Wow! When did Fantasy Flight Games take over Rokugan from Alderac Entertainment Group?

Have AEG been taken over by FFG or have they done another deal like the one they did when they gave Wizards of the Coast the rights to their campaign setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 pm

I'll be honest, the special dice are getting tired and making me actively avoid FFG. I mean, gimmicky dice is one thing, but then having yet another gimmicky dice set seems... IDK... off putting?
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:17 am

Kythkyn wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 pm
I'll be honest, the special dice are getting tired and making me actively avoid FFG. I mean, gimmicky dice is one thing, but then having yet another gimmicky dice set seems... IDK... off putting?
Well you know polyhedral dice are gimmicky too. Entire role-playing games are built around d6s and work perfectly fine. They are in the starter box, just like D&D does. I have no problem with that. ;)
Last edited by shesheyan on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:43 pm
Wow! When did Fantasy Flight Games take over Rokugan from Alderac Entertainment Group?

Have AEG been taken over by FFG or have they done another deal like the one they did when they gave Wizards of the Coast the rights to their campaign setting?
They sold the rights of the L5R IP to FFG in 2015 :

«In September 2015, AEG and Fantasy Flight Games jointly announced that the intellectual property had been sold to FFG.[3] A fifth edition of the role-playing game is currently in open beta testing.[4]»

FFG came out with a new L5R card game last winter. Its an LCG which is much better than CCG but I don't play card games any way so that doesn't change anything for me.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:06 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:17 am
Kythkyn wrote:
Well you know polyhedral dice are gimmicky too. Entire role-playing games are built around d6s and work perfectly fine. They are in the starter box, just like D&D does. I have no problem with that. ;)
It's not just that. And it may have changed, but last I checked this is another set of special dice needed for their game, when they even already have the Star Wars / Genesys dice. That's kind of what I mean by gimmicky. Like, they already have two versions of special RPG dice, and now more. Plus, they're expensive, and we found with the starter sets for Star Wars that there weren't even enough dice included without having to be like "I had a triangle thingy and uh... what's that explosion looking one mean?" so we could roll those few dice that went over.

And like, yeah, polyhedral dice were gimmicky at one time, but now there are like a thirty companies that all make them, and several hundred games that use some variation thereof. So I think that's why I don't consider traditional polyhedrals as gimmicky?
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:06 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:17 am
Kythkyn wrote:
It's not just that. And it may have changed, but last I checked this is another set of special dice needed for their game, when they even already have the Star Wars / Genesys dice. That's kind of what I mean by gimmicky. Like, they already have two versions of special RPG dice, and now more. Plus, they're expensive, and we found with the starter sets for Star Wars that there weren't even enough dice included without having to be like "I had a triangle thingy and uh... what's that explosion looking one mean?" so we could roll those few dice that went over.

And like, yeah, polyhedral dice were gimmicky at one time, but now there are like a thirty companies that all make them, and several hundred games that use some variation thereof. So I think that's why I don't consider traditional polyhedrals as gimmicky?
Your comment reminded me of what a friend said in 1981 when he saw polyhedral dice. My threshold is very low for these kinds of things. I play lots of boardgames and wargames that work with special dice. The L5R rpg is not based on Genesys. The dice are probably tailored for the setting. But I agree the FFG dice are expensive. Someone should do cheaper dice that mimic FFGs randomness but with different icons.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
You know, I guess I didn't read the thread title too closely at first. I didnt realize this thread was about a new edition released by FFG with their house system.

I rather liked the original L5R system.

I have tried getting into the FFG house system with the wonky dice in the past, but so far that has been an obstacle for me as well. A friend of mine recently told me there are some cool benefit to the way the system uses those dice though so it might not be so bad.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am
Big Mac wrote:

«In September 2015, AEG and Fantasy Flight Games jointly announced that the intellectual property had been sold to FFG.[3] A fifth edition of the role-playing game is currently in open beta testing.[4]»

FFG came out with a new L5R card game last winter. Its an LCG which is much better than CCG but I don't play card games any way so that doesn't change anything for me.
So they are making RPG rules that are in no way compatible with the previous Lot5R rules and cards that are also in no way compatible with the previous Lot5R cards.

Is there much of an old school/new school divide over this? (I know that the d20 System version of Rokugan is less popular than the Lot5R version.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am
Big Mac wrote:

So they are making RPG rules that are in no way compatible with the previous Lot5R rules and cards that are also in no way compatible with the previous Lot5R cards.

Is there much of an old school/new school divide over this? (I know that the d20 System version of Rokugan is less popular than the Lot5R version.)
No idea. A friend of mine bought the new L5R LCG and the RPG by FFG but I haven't heard from him yet. He used to play the old games.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: [FFG] Legend of the Five Rings RPG (5e)

Post by timemrick » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 pm

I've only played a few sessions of the original L5R RPG, and recall liking the odd dice mechanics fine, but those rules still just used regular d10s. (IIRC, the dice mechanics were almost identical to 7th Sea's "roll X dice, keep Y dice" mechanic.) I haven't played the d20 version, but I own and have read most of the 3E Oriental Adventures book (which had a lot of Rokugan elements, even before the full setting sourcebook was done).

I've tried reading one of the core rulebooks for FFG's current Star Wars RPGs, and found the need for special dice very off-putting. Sequentially numbered polyhedral dice are pretty basic RPG technology, and are easy to use with many different game systems. But requiring dice with custom symbols makes those dice more expensive AND limits their utility for any other game. If the new L5R requires any special dice of that sort, that's going to very quickly cross it off the list of games I have any interest in trying out.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:59 pm

timemrick wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 pm
...If the new L5R requires any special dice of that sort, that's going to very quickly cross it off the list of games I have any interest in trying out.
All FFG boardgames and rpgs have unique dice sets. L5R rpg special dice are different from the Star Wars rpg special dice...

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:59 pm
timemrick wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 pm
...If the new L5R requires any special dice of that sort, that's going to very quickly cross it off the list of games I have any interest in trying out.
All FFG boardgames and rpgs have unique dice sets. L5R rpg special dice are different from the Star Wars rpg special dice...
Are they just visually different though? With the Star Wars symbols replaced with L5R symbols? If so, you could easily use dice from one set with another game.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:38 am

Havard wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 pm
Are they just visually different though? With the Star Wars symbols replaced with L5R symbols? If so, you could easily use dice from one set with another game.

-Havard
I quick visual scan of the L5R d12 shows its different from the d12 for SW. There are two blank sides on the L5R while there is only one. The d6 for L5R has one blank side while the SW one has two blanks sides. There are no d8 in L5R.

The narrative system of the L5R rpg is different from SW/Genesys. Its based on the elements so not surprising the dice are different.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 am

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:38 am
I quick visual scan of the L5R d12 shows its different from the d12 for SW. There are two blank sides on the L5R while there is only one. The d6 for L5R has one blank side while the SW one has two blanks sides. There are no d8 in L5R.

The narrative system of the L5R rpg is different from SW/Genesys. Its based on the elements so not surprising the dice are different.
Ah, yes that would make sense then. Thanks Shesheyan :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”