O5R: A 5e OSR Hack

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

O5R: A 5e OSR Hack

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Ben Dutter and Jessica Dutter are working on a retroclone called O5R. Here is the blurb, from Ben's annoucement on Google+:
Ben Dutter on Google+ wrote:Updated link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_JBqH ... E1ED73DzH0

Hey everyone, new to the community but long-time fan. I've come back full circle in the last 20 years of gaming, and have been doing a lot of OSR-adjacent design work (doing a hack of Ben Milton's excellent Knave, I released Vagabonds of Dyfed recently, etc).

But, I still mostly play 5e due to the audience size.

So! I've gone to the trouble of creating my own version of "O5R" or OSR/5e hack hybrid. It's a mostly self-contained ruleset, assuming the reader knows common D&Disms. I've received a lot of great feedback, but haven't yet had a chance to play it all out with everything rules as currently written.

I'd love for you to check it out and let me know your thoughts (it's about 40 pages, but the font is big). Hopefully this isn't too much to ask / inappropriate (sorry in advance if so).

Some key features (highlights? elements?):

- Semi-compatible with 5e and B/X
- Four simplified races
- Four simplified classes (familiar, but with "archetypes" to branch)
- 5e-familiar action economy
- 5e-style proficiency bonus, advantage, and similar
- Simplified and flattened spell-list (closer to The Black Hack)
- Removal/compression of skills (now based on class archetypes)
- A build-your-own monster system
- Simple but meaningfully-differentiated equipment
- Brutal damage, injuries, and mishap rules
- Random encounters, travel turns, etc
- "Gear Uses" as a means to abstract consumable items
- Probably lots of other stuff I'm forgetting

Again, thank you so much for even reading this / checking out the doc. I hope to be a much more active participant in this community moving forward.
The game is subtitled "A 5e OSR Hack".

I'm more of a "no school" gamer myself, and I don't pay so much attention to the OSR or what's going on with 5e rules, so I'm not sure about the similarities and differences between B/X D&D and 5e D&D. I'd love to hear from some people who might be more likely to use this at their gaming table.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: O5R: A 5e OSR Hack

Post by shesheyan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:01 pm

« Class and Race
Humans have no class restrictions, and may belong to any class regardless of their ability scores. Elves, dwarves, and halflings can only be certain classes if ability requirements are met.
Elf: Zealot requires 13 WIS. Warrior requires 13 STR
Dwarf: Thief requires 13 DEX. Mage requires 13 INT
Halfling: Mage requires 13 INT. Warrior requires 13 STR »

This is all wrong. If you are going to do an OSR template for 5e an Elf should be a Magic-User/Fighter hybrid, a Dwarf a Fighter and an Halfling a Thief. That is the essence of the Original D&D, Holmes, B/X, BECMI editions.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 pm

The rules look pretty solid to me. I see more of the influence of The Black Hack, White Hack, Barbarians of Lemuria, Maze Rats, and Vagabonds of Dyfed than I do B/X. Then again, B/X is sort of the granddaddy of all OSR games, so maybe it's more like different generations, and less of the source DNA appears in a product generations removed from the original.

I agree that the race/class combination for demihumans is an unusual choice. I wouldn't mind, as it could speak to a different type of campaign setting than the "standard" fantasy settings, but it isn't a good fit for a game that claims to be semi-compatible with B/X. "OSR" has many different definitions, one of which is "DIY," and this appears to be the branch of the OSR the designer is going down. So I would choose to ignore the statement about B/X compatibility and take it as its own game with its own implied setting.

The decision to stop at 9th level is curious as well. It's neither the level cap for Expert D&D nor for several OSR(ish) games that cap at 10th level. Not a bad thing, but I wonder what drove that decision.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 pm
I agree that the race/class combination for demihumans is an unusual choice. I wouldn't mind, as it could speak to a different type of campaign setting than the "standard" fantasy settings, but it isn't a good fit for a game that claims to be semi-compatible with B/X. "OSR" has many different definitions, one of which is "DIY," and this appears to be the branch of the OSR the designer is going down. So I would choose to ignore the statement about B/X compatibility and take it as its own game with its own implied setting.
That is my conclusion also.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:37 am

This seems too 'off the beaten path' for me, but I already found a D&D 5th edition "Classic" edition that only has the core 4 races & classes only. Its pretty stellar, but I couldn't tell you where I found it, or who wrote it.

It could've been sent to me some time ago, for all I remember. The cover of it, however, was the classic picture from the AD&D DM screen of the warrior, woman, and trio of adventurers opening a chest full of treasure, all the while in the background a fantastic battle rages on, with a dragon laying waste to a castle.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:01 pm
« Class and Race
Humans have no class restrictions, and may belong to any class regardless of their ability scores. Elves, dwarves, and halflings can only be certain classes if ability requirements are met.

This is all wrong. If you are going to do an OSR template for 5e an Elf should be a Magic-User/Fighter hybrid, a Dwarf a Fighter and an Halfling a Thief. That is the essence of the Original D&D, Holmes, B/X, BECMI editions.
I reached out to the author to better understand the purpose of this design, and whether it could be tied into a setting that was "non-standard fantasy." He clarified that a race can select any class without penalty if it doesn't appear on the list. In other words, all of the iconic combinations that you noted can be selected regardless of ability score (except, perhaps fighter-wizard, without multiclassing). It's only the race-class oddities that require certain ability scores. I hope this helps.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:21 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm
I reached out to the author to better understand the purpose of this design, and whether it could be tied into a setting that was "non-standard fantasy." He clarified that a race can select any class without penalty if it doesn't appear on the list. In other words, all of the iconic combinations that you noted can be selected regardless of ability score (except, perhaps fighter-wizard, without multiclassing). It's only the race-class oddities that require certain ability scores. I hope this helps.
That certainly makes more sense.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:01 pm
« Class and Race

I see. I read his answers. It makes more sense but its not B/X (compatible). Race-as-class was fondamental to B/X. He is more in line with Holmes+AD&D1e in which races and classes were separate.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”