Space 1889

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

cab
Storm Giant

Space 1889

Post by cab » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:05 am

Just got a copy.

And it is every bit as good as I remember it being.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Space 1889

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Great!

I love the setting, but I'm not 100% happy with the system. Its been ages since I actually played it though.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Havard wrote:I love the setting, but I'm not 100% happy with the system. Its been ages since I actually played it though.
If you like the Space 1889 setting, but not the system, you should look out for the forthcoming Crystal Spheres RPG from Battlefield Press.

That is taking influences from Spelljammer and Dragonstar, as well as Space 1889. I'm not sure what the final feel is going to be like, but if you are a Space 1889 fan, you could perhaps play Space 1889 converted to the Crystal Sphere game.

(Battlefield Press also has a licence for a Traveller offshoot, so that stuff might be compatible to some degree. We actually have a Crystal Spheres Q&A thread at The Piazza, so you might want to surf over there and ask some Space 1889-related questions.)

EDIT: Looks like Crystal Spheres might be OSRIC. So it might function as an OSRIC conversion of Space 1889.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Crystal Spheres looks interesting, but not exactly Space 1889. Also, OSRIC is not something I am too interested in, even though I have been buying alot of AD&D 1E/2E material lately.

I did hear something about a planned Savage Worlds supplement for Space1889 which is something I would probably buy though. Anyone know more about this?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:56 am

Havard wrote:Crystal Spheres looks interesting, but not exactly Space 1889. Also, OSRIC is not something I am too interested in, even though I have been buying alot of AD&D 1E/2E material lately.
You could try using Dragonstar rules (if you like 3e).
Havard wrote:I did hear something about a planned Savage Worlds supplement for Space1889 which is something I would probably buy though. Anyone know more about this?
Never heard of that before, but Google has a hit for Pinnacle's Weird Website that is about Savage Space 1889.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:17 pm

I've wanted to learn more about Space 1889 for some time - the echoes of Jules Verne and E.R. Burroughs really appealed. Would this not have been the first Steampunk genre RPG?

At a local gaming con a few years back, I played a tabletop game reminiscent of Space 1889. It was a pitched battle on Mars: The Germans and Italians were allied against the British and Martians. I recall the Germans had two-man bicycle-mounted machine guns, a few zeppelins, and elite Prussian flying riflemen (wearing special backpacks with propellers).
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:25 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:I've wanted to learn more about Space 1889 for some time - the echoes of Jules Verne and E.R. Burroughs really appealed. Would this not have been the first Steampunk genre RPG?
I'm not sure if it is the first, but it is pretty old school.
Seer of Yhog wrote:At a local gaming con a few years back, I played a tabletop game reminiscent of Space 1889. It was a pitched battle on Mars: The Germans and Italians were allied against the British and Martians. I recall the Germans had two-man bicycle-mounted machine guns, a few zeppelins, and elite Prussian flying riflemen (wearing special backpacks with propellers).
Nice. Did they have miniatures for the flying riflemen?

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:Nice. Did they have miniatures for the flying riflemen?
Yes they did - they had minis for everything. Someone took photos too. They might be online somewhere - if so, I'll see if I can track them down, as I think the minis were custom-made.

My Blog is here!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Nice. Did they have miniatures for the flying riflemen?
Yes they did - they had minis for everything. Someone took photos too. They might be online somewhere - if so, I'll see if I can track them down, as I think the minis were custom-made.
Great. Space 1889 is not my preferred era, but I love to see miniatures. They really "sell" the concept of settings to me.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Sat May 21, 2011 1:10 am

Thread necro here. I registered for a place at the next installment of the G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. game I mentioned above at my local con. The GM took a few years off and is bringing back the minis. I'll take along a camera tomorrow and snap some pics for you guys.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 21, 2011 10:11 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:Thread necro here. I registered for a place at the next installment of the G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. game I mentioned above at my local con. The GM took a few years off and is bringing back the minis. I'll take along a camera tomorrow and snap some pics for you guys.
I'd love to see that Geoff :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Sun May 22, 2011 2:59 am

I took tons of pics - the session was a lot of fun! Our side technically "lost", but by the end of the 4-hour game we had more units on the field, and if we'd had another hour or so we probably could have turned it around. Hopefully the GM will run another installment next year!

My Blog is here!

HobbitFan
Gnoll

Post by HobbitFan » Sun May 22, 2011 6:29 am

the Savage Worlds version is out. I flipped through it at the local gaming store and it looks pretty good.
I think the full title is Space 1889: Red Sands

edit: looks like it came out November 2010.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 23, 2011 11:55 am

This thread is about Space 1889. I'm putting in a "report post" to get it shunted over to another forum.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:20 pm

I just added a link to this thread from my list of Savage Worlds settings.

Am I correct that Space 1889 is currently supported both for Savage Worlds and for the original (6-sided dice based) system? Which version do you guys prefer to run a Space 1889 campaign with?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yojimbo
Orc

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:45 am

Havard wrote:I just added a link to this thread from my list of Savage Worlds settings.

Am I correct that Space 1889 is currently supported both for Savage Worlds and for the original (6-sided dice based) system? Which version do you guys prefer to run a Space 1889 campaign with?

-Havard
The only currently supported versions are the Ubiquity system version from Clockwork Publishing/Modiphius and the Savage Worlds version. There are a number of supplements which will be produced as stretch goals from the Ubiquity English version Kickstarter campaign. Ubiquity is the system that powers the pulp game Hollow Earth Expeditions.

The Savage Worlds version was a one-off book by Pinnacle but there will be Savage Worlds versions of adventures that are produced for the Kickstarter stretch goals.

While the original GDW version is still in print via Heliograph Inc's POD reprints, Heliograph haven't produced anything new for years. The Complete Canal Priests of Mars was the last thing they released (2009).

The Savage Worlds version is good. However, it's really just a plotted campaign (Red Sands) than a full setting book. Therefore, I would recommend the Ubiquity version. It's a much better system than the original.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”