Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Kythkyn » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:12 pm

talsine wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am
Evening all
Howdy!
...but i still have a lot of love for the settings and talking about the mechanics of the older versions (5E is just not my cup of tea). Outside of that, i love Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Battletech, pretty much everything old FASA released, along with a lot of more modern games like PbtA, Chronicles of Darkness, WOIN, the list goes on.
You're in good company. Many folks around here enjoy talking about older editions as well! And other games!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 pm

RobJN wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:15 am
Another gamer who actually knows what WOIN is is always welcome, in my book :lol:
I honestly only discovered WOIN through the judge Dredd KS, but i really like it so far. I'm reading the Fantasy book right now so i can see if I want to steal the magic rules for something else.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 am

talsine wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 pm
RobJN wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:15 am
Another gamer who actually knows what WOIN is is always welcome, in my book :lol:
I honestly only discovered WOIN through the judge Dredd KS, but i really like it so far. I'm reading the Fantasy book right now so i can see if I want to steal the magic rules for something else.
Brace yourself. Morrus is streamlining the magic system for O.L.D. v 1.2; you can run magic as-is from the Elements of Magic chapter, but there will also be a simpler-but-still-super-versatile, MAG-based system in place. Basically, anything you could do with another skill, you can attempt to do WITH MAGIC. You can see an implementation in W2: Dark Decade's "sorcery."

Drop by the WOIN primer topic to talk shop. We've also got a Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000AD thread up, or start one of your own with a [WOIN] tag :D The more people talking about the system the sooner we can get a bespoke forum for it
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:14 am

SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 am
Greetings!

Long time lurker, both here and on the old WotC forums, when those still existed. I work on silly fan projects when I'm bored. I don't know if anyone remembered Tesar - it was from an old WotC thread called "How to fit every major Dungeons and Dragons Setting onto one Earth sized planet" - but I fiddled with that a bit for fun. Looked at some of his maps I had saved recently, and found that Kara-Tur wasn't on there. I was mostly interested in fleshing how campaign settings interact within that framework. For example, if you do the math on the Council of Wyrms calendar, you'd find that the current year is 72,000 ((whatever the era abbreviation was)). That coincides well with the timeline in the original Eberron book, which if I recall correctly puts the dragon-demon war at 80,000 years. I could see someone in the present day rounding 72,000 up to 80, so its pretty easy to link the founding of the Council to the Dragon war. Stuff like that. Also looked at redoing the map, with an eye for freeing up more ocean space and sticking some missing settings in. Ripping out the homebrew settings, replacing Argonessen with the Io's Blood Isles, moving Returned Aebir to Io's Blood and Ansalon. Would need to see if the Kara-Tur box set provided a smaller scale than the trail map though - otherwise Kara-Tur flat out does not fit, especially if you want to preserve the eastern supercontinent the map originally had.
If you even have a passing interest in Council of Wryms there is pretty much the only forum for the setting right here. My 5e conversion and review gets into the weeds a fair bit. Did you know a council of Wryms year is longer than most D&D world years? A year on this calendar is 405 days, a month 45 days and a week 15 days.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

SinLeqiUnninni
Goblin

Post by SinLeqiUnninni » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 am

Coronoides wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:14 am
Did you know a council of Wryms year is longer than most D&D world years? A year on this calendar is 405 days, a month 45 days and a week 15 days.
When I was doing those Tesar files I mostly ignored the differences in year lengths between settings. For CoW I tried to sort of support ignoring it with "Dragons are arrogant, if anyone is going to base their timekeeping off of something other than the movement of celestial bodies it would be them" and say the CoW calendar in some way derived from Draconic biological cycles or circadian rhythms or whatever. I gave up on doing even that when looking at Kryn, since there year is just different enough that it couldn't be the plausible result of a less accurate calendar. Year differences are just not worth explaining if you're sticking a bunch of the settings on one planet.

Starglim
Goblin

Post by Starglim » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Hello all. Some might recognise the name from WotC or Paizo forums. Alternity is my immediate interest but I see a lot here for classic D&D, Traveller, Call of Cthulhu and other interests. I'll take some time to have a look around.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 pm

Starglim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 pm
Hello all.
Howdy! Welcome to the board
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 pm

Starglim wrote:
Hello all. Some might recognise the name from WotC or Paizo forums. Alternity is my immediate interest but I see a lot here for classic D&D, Traveller, Call of Cthulhu and other interests. I'll take some time to have a look around.
Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:17 am

Welcome Starglim!
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 am

Starglim wrote:
Woo hoo! Another Alternity fan :D
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

torkill13
Orc

Post by torkill13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Hey all! New here, but long time D&D fanatic. RobJN's new PbP game drew me here, and I have spent some time looking around. There is a lot of great people and materials here and I am very happy our paths have crossed.

I was originally drawn in by the amazing artwork of D&D. Then in '83 I received 2 copies of Mentzer's Basic Set for Christmas, and my inner nerd was completely hooked. I didn't have many people to play with as a young kid, so I'd force my siblings to play. If I couldn't find anyone else to play with, I would spend hours creating characters, drawing maps, or reading adventure modules.

After high school, my life choices left little time for TTRPG, but I kept my fantasy fix satisfied via books and video games. Then a few years ago, I found out that I could play D&D online via virtual tabletops as well as Play-By-Post games. Now I find myself spending as much time playing D&D as I can on top of a busy work and family life.

Over the years, I pretty much stayed with BECMI, B/X, and AD&D 1e. I was not a big fan of anything 3.5 or newer, and was skeptical when 5e was released. I am happy to say that my skepticism was unfounded. I really enjoy what 5e brings to the table. It is great to see D&D and role playing no longer carry the stigma that it was given when I was a child. Mystara was my first true love and continues to be my favorite world. However, a large part of of my enjoyment is learning about all the different worlds and their histories. So, from Greyhawk to FR and to many DM created worlds, I get immersed in whatever campaign I happen to be a part of.

So there you have the extended cut edition of my D&D life. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Glad you chose to join in the fun here, torkill :D

There's ten-plus years of content to dig through, including the ongoing tale of a certain itinerant druid we all know and love....
Rob

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:33 am

Welcome to The Piazza, RobJN! :P
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:38 am

Welcome to the forums, torkill13!

Social Media

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am

torkill13 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm
Hey all! New here, but long time D&D fanatic. RobJN's new PbP game drew me here, and I have spent some time looking around. There is a lot of great people and materials here and I am very happy our paths have crossed.
Ahoy Torkill13!

Now that you are caught in RobJN's web, I don't see your chances of escape being too great :twisted:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

torkill13
Orc

Post by torkill13 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:54 am

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am
Now that you are caught in RobJN's web, I don't see your chances of escape being too great :twisted:
There are worse places to be trapped.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 am

torkill13 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:54 am
Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am
There are worse places to be trapped.
True :D

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Quillaby
Kobold

Post by Quillaby » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Greetings, fellow gamer people. I'm Quillaby, aka QuillabyJD.

I’ve been a fan of roleplaying games since 1983 when I picked up the Red Box Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set. Over the years I also dabbled in a lot of other rpgs, including Star Frontiers, Marvel Super Heroes, Middle-Earth Role Playing, Ghostbusters, Car Wars, Shadowrun, Mutants and Masterminds, and GURPS Traveller. But the game I’ve played most consistently is Dungeons and Dragons. I played BECMI, 1e, 2e, 3e, and 4e Dungeons & Dragons.

When support for 4e fizzled out, I switched over to 13th Age RPG and have never looked back. For me, 13th Age scratches the gaming itch the way regular Dungeons & Dragons never quite could. Currently I’m running a long term one-on-one game for my brother-in-law. We’ve been playing since December 21, 2012. We mostly pay via email, but also get together for face-to-face sessions once or twice per year. The pace of our campaign can be glacial, but right now that’s the pace that this particular grognard can maintain.

Most recently, I’ve been experimenting with trying to cobble together a GUMSHOE based ruleset for running investigation adventures in 13th Age.

I blog about my campaign on WordPress at https://quillabyjd.wordpress.com

I’m on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/QuillabyJD

I’m on Obsidian Portal at: https://korreld.obsidianportal.com/

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Welcome, Quillaby!

Social Media

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 pm

Quillaby wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Most recently, I’ve been experimenting with trying to cobble together a GUMSHOE based ruleset for running investigation adventures in 13th Age.
Oh man, i love the ideas and concepts in GUMSHOE but the mechanics just don't work for me. Glad to see someone else trying to figure out a way to steal some of it for use in another system.

anyway, Welcome, everyone here is really friendly, hope you enjoy your time here

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”