Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:54 am

Big Mac wrote:I am more into Billy Joel than Bruce Springsteen, but I mostly think of Billy Joel busking at this London Underground station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6T2B3Vhtzk

:P :mrgreen: :lol:
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby S'mon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:57 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I am more into Billy Joel than Bruce Springsteen, but I mostly think of Billy Joel busking at this London Underground station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6T2B3Vhtzk

:P :mrgreen: :lol:

That was terrible. I had to play some Sabaton to get the taste out. :lol:
S'mon
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:10 pm

S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:So how do you do 3 tables of Wilderlands games...at the same time? That sounds like hard work to me. :o

I have two vassal GMs... I mean co-GMs... running adventures taking place at the same time, in world and IRL. So each game table represents an area of the campaign map: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_zdfAcMibV0/Wap7C_D_U5I/AAAAAAAALPY/W_nxPwgs6xowjx_EmB_-s8VaoVkxrWZBQCLcBGAs/s1600/Ghinarian%252BHills.jpg

My core area is around Selatine village, but I'm currently running a side quest at the Stone Tooth near Highhaven, the amazon fortress. The other GMs are running material around the villages of Bratanis and (just starting) Kalmisj.

Ah. If they are playing in slightly different areas, I can see how it would be easier to avoid stepping on each other's toes.

S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is your massive multi-table multi-GM game like a mini version of the RPGA?

I think they run the same adventure at different tables? So no, definitely not like that. As David's group kills named NPCs in the Sunless Citadel near Bratanis, I cross off those NPCs in my copy of Sunless Citadel.

Gotcha. So you would then be running a slightly different adventure in the same area.

Do you also take account of other things (like a PC fighting an NPC, but not killing them)?

S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I heard that Dave Arneson had different groups of gamers competing against each other. And I've heard the legendary "Head of Vecna" multi-group Greyhawk story. Do you do things like that, that merge plotlines together?

We do some crossover elements, eg the hobgoblins Chris107's online PC Mordred battled in Stonehell Dungeon near Selatine are the same hobgoblin faction the PCs in David's game have been fighting against near Bratanis. We discuss plot elements. Tom's Kalmisj came will likely involve Black Sun cultists, a faction IMC the older online PCs like Chris107's Hakeem Godslayer have battled for years. On Sunday Tom and me discussed the Black Sun & Neo-Nerathi, their ethos etc.

Competing against each other - only when my son Bill (10) is playing, he's a one man faction! :lol: He certainly keeps life interesting for the other PCs, online & offline. Normally the PC groups are adventurer groups more or less good guys, and a major conceit is that PCs should be able to move from group to group.

That does sound well organised.

So how many times have players moved PCs from one group to another?

I think if I was in that situation, I would probably want to maintain the continuity of working with other PCs, and would be less inclined to move, unless other things in my life forced me to change to another gaming day.

S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Oh, do you like any campaign settings other than WIlderlands?

And do you like more than one of the Wilderlands variants?

I recently ran a Karameikos/Mystara campaign for two years or so 2015-2017 http://smonskarameikos.blogspot.co.uk/, I ran two Golarion campaigns 2014-2017 http://smonscurseofthecrimsonthrone.blogspot.co.uk/and a major 5.5 year Forgotten Realms campaign 2011-2016 - http://frloudwater.blogspot.co.uk/
I've also enjoyed running Gygax's Yggsburgh and expanding that world, along with Rob Conley's Points of Light. I'm currently running a fortnightly side campaign in the 4e Nentir Vale setting. And a solo Council of Wyrms game with Bill - he sure loves being a red dragon. :lol: And I had a homebrew setting I ran 1986 to around 2006. I've run some Greyhawk, but it's never been a big thing for me.

Wilderlands is my big thing since 2006, though it took several years to learn how to run it right. The current campaign really started I'd say with 10 sessions of 1e AD&D in 2013, but only really with the 5e reboot in Jan 2015 did it take off.

I can't get that third blog to work (the frloudwater one). :?

You might want to think about adding links to your blogs to your Piazza signature. That way, anyone who likes what you are talking about, can check out your games.

There is a Nentir Vale forum at The Piazza. Zeromaru X is the biggest Nentir Vale expert I know. I'd love to see you taking about your Nentir Vale games with him. He is a real walking encyclopedia! :)

The same goes for Council of Wyrms where Coronoides is dropping a lot of topics about the setting.

I've seen Yggsburgh mentioned and I know that Rob Conley's Points of Light has at least a couple of topics, but unlike Mystara, Forgotten Realms and Pathfinder Campaign Setting, they don't have bespoke forums at The Piazza (yet). (Maybe, if you like those settings, you could drop one or two topics in Other Worlds and increase the chances those settings will win their own forums. :D )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 pm

S'mon wrote:Wilderlands variants - not really, I like Bob Bledsaw's stuff and some of the 3e WoHF best. I tend to play up the sci-fi/sword & planet stuff a bit, Flash Gordon's Mongo especially is an influence, whereas Conley & Mishler seem to have more historical and traditional high-fantasy takes on the setting. Conley's mythic-Russian "Wild North" in Fight On! #3 was about the opposite of how I'd have done the area beyond Valon. If anything I get more influence from Golarion, which is more of a pulp-influenced setting (no transgender dwarf shaman PCs IMC yet, though).

For me the core of the setting is 1970s sword & sorcery pulp literature, which edges into early '80s films - as well as the 1981 Flash Gordon and (obviously) Conan the Barbarian, all the cheesy post-Conan stuff like Beastmaster, Deathstalker, The Warrior & the Sorceress et al. I love worldbuilding off that stuff! :lol:

I've kind of gone the other way, as I like Spelljammer and like to play down the science fiction stuff for that setting, but I am a science fiction fan too an like to watch things like Flash Gordon and Conan the Barbarian.

There do seem to be some RPG settings that are a lot better at combining fantasy and science fiction elements.

S'mon wrote:I guess by now my Wilderlands is its own thing, "S'mon's Wilderlands" I call it on the Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1736925893237128/ - you can join if you'd like to see how the multi-GM, multi-party, multi-platform (pub table & computer) :) thing works in practice.

Thanks for the offer. :)

Did you know that you can claim bespoke URLs for Facebook groups? (Here is the one that The Piazza got: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thepiazza/.) It is a bit easier to use those URLs in links than the long numbered URLs that Facebook gives you by default.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Welcome, S'Mon! :mrgreen:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby S'mon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:52 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome, S'Mon! :mrgreen:

Thanks! :cool:
S'mon
Orc

Postby S'mon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 am

Big Mac wrote:Do you also take account of other things (like a PC fighting an NPC, but not killing them)?

So how many times have players moved PCs from one group to another?

I'm not sure why PCs fighting but no t killing an NPC would matter to different PCs?

I can only recall for sure 1 PC, a Warlock, moved from my group to David's when David started. Plus the GMs can use their PCs (when they played with me) as NPC backup for the PCs in their group, David did that.

As you said, players normally prefer to stick with one GM & group if possible.
S'mon
Orc

Postby zontoxira » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm

S'mon wrote:3 tables at a pub in London this Sunday

I'm struggling to get 3 players at the same table :lol: :lol: Good on you mate!
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Previous

Return to The Philosopher's Stone