Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Big Mac » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:18 am

Chord wrote:Growing up my teen years I really only played BECMI/Cyclopedia and with a little D6 Star Wars on the side I've mostly been a DM and someday hope to be a player for once :D

Welcome to The Piazza Chord.

If you like the BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia campaign setting, you may want to head over to the Mystara forum, where there are a lot of fans that can help you.

We do not have a forum for the Star Wars campaign setting yet, but you can use the forum's search system to find threads about Star Wars:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/search.php?keywords=Star%20Wars&sf=titleonly

There are threads about d20 Star Wars (and non RPG threads about Star Wars) in there, but some of them might be helpful. I don't play Star Wars RPGs myself, but I'm hoping that, at some point, we will build up enough of a fanbase here to support a request for a bespoke forum.

Laokong wrote:Since I've been lurking in and out of this place for so long and since I'm planning to be more involved, I believe a bit of introduction is overdue.

My name is Christian, handle is Laokong (related to the Chinese name I was given as a student of Mandarin, long story).

Welcome to The Piazza, Laokong! Thanks for de-lurking.

I love your avatar. I used to watch Monkey on TV, when I was young. My next-door neibour used to swing a broom in his back garden and pretend he was King Monkey. :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Laokong » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:01 am

Big Mac wrote:Welcome to The Piazza, Laokong! Thanks for de-lurking.

I love your avatar. I used to watch Monkey on TV, when I was young. My next-door neibour used to swing a broom in his back garden and pretend he was King Monkey. :lol:

Thank you! Yes indeed it is Sun Wukong, hero of the "Journey to the West" and ubiquitous cultural icon in modern China. I've seen quite a few cartoons/tv plays based on the Journey while in China, but never had the opportunity to watch "Monkey," the years fit my own childhood though, so it probably has never been translated and broadcast in Quebec.. :(
Last edited by Laokong on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laokong
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:26 am

Laokong wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Welcome to The Piazza, Laokong! Thanks for de-lurking.

Thank you! Yes indeed it is Sun Wukong, hero of the "Journey to the West" and ubiquitous cultural icon in modern China. I've seen quite a few cartoons/tv plays based on the Journey while in Chia, but never had the opportunity to watch "Monkey," the years fit my own childhood though, so it probably has never been translated and broadcast in Quebec.. :(

The original Japanese version was called Saiyūki. The British people that dubbed it for the BBC, never finished dubbing all the episodes. The BBC left out many of the episodes of the second series and I don't think that Saiyūki had a third series.

Monkey probably has a different feel to Saiyūki, as the voice over artists that did the dubbing were all British people putting on slightly-cheesy Chinese accents. It is a fairly comical version of "Journey to the West". In some ways it reminds me of the old Batman TV show, as the fight sequences are hammed up.

Here is the title sequence.
Here is Monkey calling his magic cloud (that is before he has the special headband).
Here is Monkey with Buddha.
Here is Gadhara (the end theme). From what I can tell, the musicians sung the opening and ending music in English, instead of Japanese. Godiego are still singing the music decades later.

I can't find Monkey pulling out his hair to create warriors for a big fight. That is usually fun.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby brooksb6 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:26 am

Hello, I'm Brooks. Just stumbled across this site a few days ago and haven't stopped lurking.

I'm a huge fan of Northern Crown and Serenity (Cortex). Always been interested in checking out the Dark Sun and Spelljammer settings. This seems like a good place to learn more.
brooksb6
Goblin

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Hey Brooks!
Welcome to The Piazza.

Good to see more fans of Northern Crown here. :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby zherog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 am

*waves*

Howdy.
John Ling
Lead Pathfinder Developer, Frog God Games

Note: The opinions and ideas in this post are mine and not those of FGG unless stated otherwise.
zherog
Kobold

Postby Havard » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 am

zherog wrote:*waves*

Howdy.

Hi John! Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:30 am

Howdy.

Welcome, welcome. Good to see a representative of Frog God Games here.

Moderator of the Eberron & Sarûnia forums, my voice is colour #00BF00.
Social Me(dia)
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 am

brooksb6 wrote:Hello, I'm Brooks. Just stumbled across this site a few days ago and haven't stopped lurking.

Looks like you stopped lurking now! ;)

Welcome to The Piazza, Brooks. Thanks for de-lurking.

brooksb6 wrote:I'm a huge fan of Northern Crown and Serenity (Cortex). Always been interested in checking out the Dark Sun and Spelljammer settings. This seems like a good place to learn more.

The Piazza has added quite a lot of forums for different campaign settings but Northern Crown and Firefly/Serenity don't have bespoke forums (not yet anyway).

In case you have not noticed, we have a special "any other campaign setting" forum called Other Worlds. There is a tagging system, where you add the name of the setting [inside square brackets], to the start of the name for a new thread. So just add "[Northern Crown]" or "[Firefly]" at the start of any threads you start.

Thread tags also work with the forum's search system. So long as you are logged in, you can use the following special links* to search for existing Northern Crown or Firefly threads:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/search.php?keywords=Northern%20Crown&sf=titleonly
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/search.php?keywords=Firefly&sf=titleonly

* = The same trick works for any other campaign setting we do not have a forum for. Just edit the URL at the top of the browser and put in the name of the setting you want to search for.

Anyhoo, you may know about the Dark Sun and the Spelljammer forums here, but if you use those two things, you can kind of have the same ability to discuss Northern Crown and Firefly/Serenity (or anything else). And, if you are a huge enough fan and get enough people talking about a setting, you might even be able to help build up enough of a community that you help launch a new bespoke forum. :)

Howdy.

Hi John! Welcome to The Piazza!

Maybe Havard can add you to his list of Celebrities on The Piazza, if you let him know what stuff you have worked on. :)

Are you aware that we have an "industry news" forum, called The Wishing Well, where you can drop threads to announce things like product launches from your company (without it being considered spam)?

BTW: You might want to edit your forum signature and change the text "Frog God Games" into a link to your company. That way, if anyone is interested in things you might be talking about here, they can follow the link from any of your posts. :idea:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Black Dragon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 am

Hi I'm Ade "The Black Dragon" Provis. I started playing in 1984 with the D&D basic red box.
After a while away from the table I'm back introducing my son to that same system and we're having a blast as he learn and I re-learn. It's surprising how much of the DM procedures I remember, this probably says something about how much I used to play before life got in the way. Good to be back to share our adventures :)
The Black Dragon
Kobold

Postby rredmond » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Welcome back to the game TBD!
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the others!
--Ron--
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Filling in the Gaps for Old School Gamers
rredmond
Gnoll

Postby froglegg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 pm

I followed Havard over here from Dragonsfoot back in Aug 09 so he's to blame. :P

Even after becoming a member I still just lurked around but after 4 years of being a member but lurker it's time to change that.

This is my tale:

It was 1979 and some friends of mine wanted me to try this game that they were playing called Dungeons & Dragons.
The next thing I know I have my first PC a thief, and then my first game and it was a blast!
I had no real clue as to what was going on but I was hooked and hooked bad, I can still remember the cups with the little peaces of paper and the paper had numbers on them because at that time we did not have the funny looking dice.
Not bad for 6th graders if I do say so myself.

Getting my first boxed set and using that white crayon to fill in the numbers and just looking and reading X1 over and over again. :cool:

Then came the hard backs= AD&D! And they were a must to me and friends alike.
Hours and hours of playing (Sun up to sun down and then some.)
We had the wrong mind set then in that D&D was for little babies and AD&D was for us grown folk. (We were soooo wrong but you could not tell us different back then.)

Then I found the Greyhawk Boxed set and A1 C2 and on and on and loved them all but it was kind of strange for me because as much as I tried and tried I just could not get into Greyhawk, loved T1 and yet I did not care for the world where T1 took place.

While this is going on I have to give props to my mom.
She believed it was the devils game and that it was evil because of what she read and had seen on TV.
After we talked about it she never once tried to stop me from playing or going to the gaming shop/comic shop.
LOVE AND MISS YOU MOM!!!

Then one day it happened :o I entered a hobby shop and I find this strange Grey Box.
What is this Forgotten Realms?
Taking it home I start to read and it clicked where Greyhawk didn't the Realms did.
When I want to get in deep, I go Realms.

Later on there came the 2nd Edition and I was like what is this HERESY AGAINST THE CHURCH OF GYGAX!
Burn the witches!
But soon I learned that they had done some good things and I found room in my heart for both of them.

Then came 3.0 followed by 3.5 D&D.
And again "Ok boys get your torches and pitchforks!"
And yet again I saw some good things in 3.5 so more room was found.

And thanks to Dragonsfoot I learned what I should have known all along, that B/X and BECM is not D&D for babies but lovely games unto themselves.

Then came 4th Edition D&D and I looked at it and looked at it some more but to me I found it soulless (**NOT AN ATTACK ON YOU IF YOU LOVE 4TH!**) This was how it seemed to me.

So this is where I am standing as of now, I will just stick with my B/X with the B/X Companion by Blackrazor and the Companion Expansion by barrataria.
BECM passing on the (I) part.
1st Edition AD&D and 2nd Edition AD&D.
3.5 D&D

As I said in my opening statement "It's all Havard's fault for me coming here. :P

John
These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed words unwritten-and set them down ere they fade...Learn then, well the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they will lead you to the greatest art of all: Understanding." -Alaundo of Candlekeep.
froglegg
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:20 pm

froglegg wrote:As I said in my opening statement "It's all Havard's fault for me coming here. :P

Definitely not the worst thing I've been blamed for John! Great introduction! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby zherog » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:

Howdy.

Hi John! Welcome to The Piazza!

Maybe Havard can add you to his list of Celebrities on The Piazza, if you let him know what stuff you have worked on. :)

Are you aware that we have an "industry news" forum, called The Wishing Well, where you can drop threads to announce things like product launches from your company (without it being considered spam)?

BTW: You might want to edit your forum signature and change the text "Frog God Games" into a link to your company. That way, if anyone is interested in things you might be talking about here, they can follow the link from any of your posts. :idea:

Wow. Thanks, life, for keeping me so busy I can't come back after introducing myself...

Thanks for the tips about being allowed to post links in Industry News and having a link to FGG in my sig. Great to know !

As for what I've done.. Here's some highlights, I guess: 13 articles in Dragon magazine, 7 in Kobold Quarterly, 13 "Monday Monsters" on the Kobold Quarterly blog (including launching the series with Nain Rouge and following that up with 11 over "modern myths"). I've worked on the Great City Campaign Setting from 0one games, including as a co-author on the Gold ENnie winning Player's guide, the Urban Creatures and Lairs book, and a few of the adventures. For Frog God, I've worked on Tome of Horrors Complete, Rappan Athuk, Unusual Suspects, Dead Man's Chest, and Razor Coast (and all it's satellite books). That's a summary, at least.

Looking forward to poking around, and participating.
John Ling
Lead Pathfinder Developer, Frog God Games

Note: The opinions and ideas in this post are mine and not those of FGG unless stated otherwise.
zherog
Kobold

Postby froglegg » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Havard wrote:
froglegg wrote:As I said in my opening statement "It's all Havard's fault for me coming here. :P

Definitely not the worst thing I've been blamed for John! Great introduction! :)

-Havard

Thank you sir.

John
These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed words unwritten-and set them down ere they fade...Learn then, well the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they will lead you to the greatest art of all: Understanding." -Alaundo of Candlekeep.
froglegg
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 pm

The Black Dragon wrote:Hi I'm Ade "The Black Dragon" Provis. I started playing in 1984 with the D&D basic red box.
After a while away from the table I'm back introducing my son to that same system and we're having a blast as he learn and I re-learn. It's surprising how much of the DM procedures I remember, this probably says something about how much I used to play before life got in the way. Good to be back to share our adventures :)

Welcome to The Piazza, The Black Dragon.

If you want to put a black dragon as your forum avatar, you can go to: User Control Panel > Profile > Edit avatar.

Black Dragon is one of the forum ranks at The Piazza, so if you stick around and talk to others about your favourite D&D (and non-D&D) stuff, maybe it will not be too long before we can celebrate the day that The Black Dragon becomes a Black Dragon. :)

froglegg wrote:I followed Havard over here from Dragonsfoot back in Aug 09 so he's to blame. :P

Havard is to blame for a lot of the people who came here. :lol:

froglegg wrote:Even after becoming a member I still just lurked around but after 4 years of being a member but lurker it's time to change that.

Wow! That is a big delurk! 5 posts before 2014 and 85 posts in 2014! You already made it onto the 6th page of the "leaderboard"! :shock:

froglegg wrote:This is my tale:

Nice tale. I've learned a great deal about the versions of D&D that I do not personally play in recent times. I've also learned a great deal about various campaign settings. I'm never going to have the time to play each and every combination, but I'm guessing that some cool ideas can be raided from everything, so it is great to be able to talk to fans of different games.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dalor Darden » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:57 am

Hello all! I'm Anthony Conrad Edwards from Olympia Washington U.S.A.

Joined the Piazza because I found so many amazing things here!

Hope to talk more with you all soon!

OH! Shameless plug:

My personal Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/anthony.edwards.5243

I'm moving toward publication of the World of Ark (https://www.facebook.com/DalorDarden)

If you don't care for the Facebook Demons, you can follow along at https://twitter.com/DalorDarden also!

I'll be posting some things here on the Piazza too obviously ;)
Dalor Darden
Goblin

Postby Havard » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi there Anthony!

Welcome to The Piazza!

I like the maps for your setting. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby froglegg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks Big Mac.

Hail and well met Dalor Darden.

John
froglegg
Bugbear

Postby Scott Anderson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 am

My goodness, I'm late. I've been here for a month.

I live in Massachusetts, USA. I have a gamer wife and two preteen gamer kids.

We have always played 3.5 together. But upon hearing of the 40th anniversary recently, I looked around and found that the D&D of my youth has returned in many forms; and really never left.

Thank goodness! It's like old times again.
Scott Anderson
Orc

Postby Havard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Welcome to The Piazza Scott! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby rredmond » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Welcome to all the new comers, though I recognize some names! ;)
--Ron--
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Filling in the Gaps for Old School Gamers
rredmond
Gnoll

Postby Hugin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Welcome to The Piazza, folks! I hope you enjoy it here.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Scott Anderson » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:09 pm

My interest is fairly narrow with respect to the wide variety of topics discussed. Even so , there is a lot to see and I'm glad to be here.
Scott Anderson
Orc

Postby Troy Taylor » Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Hello. My name is Troy. I learned about The Piazza from a FB post by Wolfgang Baur.

Big fan of the Known World, a great place for adventuring with the Basic-Expert rules, which is my favorite rules set. These days I'm mostly immersed in Wolfgang's Midgard, though I've run batches of adventures in Greyhawk and my homebrew Steffenhold.

I am one of the gnomes over at Gnome Stew.com and have contributed to two of Engine Publishing's books, Eureka and Masks. Back in the 3E era, I was a regular contributor to Dragon magazine's Class Acts department.
Troy Taylor
Goblin

PreviousNext

Return to The Philosopher's Stone