Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 am

jimflory wrote:Hello all! My name is Jim Flory (Hiiiiii Jiiiiim!). I've been playing D&D, in one form or another, for 37 years now. I still haven't won. ;)

Welcome, Jim! I've been gaming for 26 years now myself. It's brought me a lot of joy. I'm quite proud of myself for being a gamer, because it has taught me a lot about the world I live in.

jimflory wrote:Primarily, in whatever groups I've played with, I end up being the DM. I enjoy it. My Players (usually) enjoy it. So, it works out.
I've done a bit of time on the Player side as well, and I do enjoy the break and change in perspective.

I haven't played in a face-to-face game in 10 years. I've played in play-by-post games...there's a huge level of disconnect there for me, which gives me a lot of difficulty enjoying the experience.

Mostly, I get a lot of joy out of creating for the wealth of rpg projects at my fingertips.

jimflory wrote:I've spent some very long phases being into other games such as Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, the old World of Darkness games. I even ran Vampire LARPs as my primary job for a few years.
These days, I balance grown-up life *shudder* with my D&D fixes by running a weekly game.
Currently, we're playing a campaign set in Eberron.
I've never LARPed myself, always wanted to try it though...maybe someday.

I'd love to hear about Eberron campaign!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby brassdragon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:02 am

Hello, everyone!

I found my way to the Piazza as part of a reawakening interest in D&D in general, and Mystara in particular.

I got started in the hobby by talking my dad into buying me the Red Box Basic Set and running some one-on-one games for me. Since then, I've drifted in and out of the hobby a couple of times and cycled through playing, DMing, and just collecting. Currently, I'm drifting back in, collecting PDFs of the D&D stuff I wanted but never owned when I was younger, and having vague thoughts about getting a new gaming group together.
brassdragon
Goblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 am

Welcome, brassdragon! Good to have you here!

brassdragon wrote:I got started in the hobby by talking my dad into buying me the Red Box Basic Set and running some one-on-one games for me. Since then, I've drifted in and out of the hobby a couple of times and cycled through playing, DMing, and just collecting.
I know those phases too well myself. Right now I am more in creative mode as well as collecting. I get more joy out of creation than playing/dming.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Welcome Brassdragon! See you in the Mystara forum :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby brassdragon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:I know those phases too well myself. Right now I am more in creative mode as well as collecting. I get more joy out of creation than playing/dming.

One of the things I love about RPG's is that there are so many different ways to enjoy and be inspired by them. And worldbuilding is one of my favorites.

My creative projects do have a habit of never getting out of the research phase -- there's always more real-world history and mythology to take inspiration from, and more published gaming work to see what others have done with ideas I want to play with, and... :D

Havard wrote:Welcome Brassdragon! See you in the Mystara forum :)

Thank you!

I hope my choosing a non-Mystaran dragon variety as my handle doesn't cause any problems there. ;)
(It struck me as a good choice for a gaming forum in general...)
brassdragon
Goblin

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:21 am

brassdragon wrote:

Thank you!

I hope my choosing a non-Mystaran dragon variety as my handle doesn't cause any problems there. ;)

Haha, yes I was wondering about that ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Distorted Humor » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:34 am

Hi all,

Same DH as in quite a few D&D forums.

Waves.

Mostly play B/X BECMI, OD&D (and variations of OD&D), 1st and 2nd. Picking up 5th edition over time.
Distorted Humor
Goblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:25 am

Welcome, Distorted Humor!

If you are playing and/or DMing 5E I'd love to read your comments on it as well as session recaps.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:17 am

Welcome to The Piazza Distorted Humor! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Distorted Humor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Welcome, Distorted Humor!

If you are playing and/or DMing 5E I'd love to read your comments on it as well as session recaps.

Right now I am just reading the rule books. Do hope to start a game at some point, or play.

And waves at Harvard.
Distorted Humor
Goblin

Postby Coronoides » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:17 am

Welcome Brassdragon!
With a name like that you might find stuff of interest in the Council of Wryms sub-forum.

brassdragon wrote:Hello, everyone!

I found my way to the Piazza as part of a reawakening interest in D&D in general, and Mystara in particular.

I got started in the hobby by talking my dad into buying me the Red Box Basic Set and running some one-on-one games for me. Since then, I've drifted in and out of the hobby a couple of times and cycled through playing, DMing, and just collecting. Currently, I'm drifting back in, collecting PDFs of the D&D stuff I wanted but never owned when I was younger, and having vague thoughts about getting a new gaming group together.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Bugbear

Postby Jürgen Hubert » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:35 am

Hello, everyone!

A few people might know me from RPGNet and other forums. I've been playing (A)D&D on and off since the early nineties (and I am currently preparing for a 5e campaign), and I enjoy reading about the assorted D&D worlds, as well as doing some serious worldbuilding of my own.

Which ties in with my current project: I want to explore what Maztica, the "Mesoamerican" region of the Forgotten Realms, might be like in the current, 5e era after the upheavals of the Spellplague and the Sundering, after Maztica vanished into the world of Abeir and finally returned to Toril. I am aware that there are similar projects - most especially Seethyr's awesome work on the subject - but I am going for a somewhat different approach. While the 5e era is seen frequently seen as sort of "reboot" for the Forgotten Realms - a return to its roots while keeping the timeline intact - I am going to embrace the changes the timeline has wrought on Maztica and use them as an opportunity to turn it into more fantastic setting with more opportunities for adventures while still being recognizable as a Mesoamerican-inspired region.

I've started a discussion thread for this topic, which you can find here. I hope I will see some of you around!
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!
Jürgen Hubert
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:22 pm

brassdragon wrote:Hello, everyone!

Hi Brassdragon! Welcome to The Piazza.

I spent some time trying to reverse-engineer the forum ranks at The Piazza. There are actually some dragons as forum ranks, although I didn't uncover an actual Brass Dragon rank. Maybe - if you stick around - you might discover/unlock a Brass Dragon rank one day. :)

brassdragon wrote:I found my way to the Piazza as part of a reawakening interest in D&D in general, and Mystara in particular.

Well you have come to the right place, if you like Mystara. The world's largest Mystara community is here and you will find subforums for several Mystara subsettings and projects over in the Mystara forum.

brassdragon wrote:I got started in the hobby by talking my dad into buying me the Red Box Basic Set and running some one-on-one games for me. Since then, I've drifted in and out of the hobby a couple of times and cycled through playing, DMing, and just collecting. Currently, I'm drifting back in, collecting PDFs of the D&D stuff I wanted but never owned when I was younger, and having vague thoughts about getting a new gaming group together.

I am still hunting down some old D&D products myself. Although in my case, it is stuff with some sort of tangential connection to Spelljammer.

You might find The Book-House on The Piazza helpful. It's still being built, so there are some gaps, but you will find links to pages with details on various D&D products, reviews and even some "Fan Enhancements" that add value to products.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:20 pm

brassdragon wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:I know those phases too well myself. Right now I am more in creative mode as well as collecting. I get more joy out of creation than playing/dming.

One of the things I love about RPG's is that there are so many different ways to enjoy and be inspired by them. And worldbuilding is one of my favorites.

If you like building your own worlds, you might like the Homebrew Worlds forum. There are a few people there building their own worlds. People usually use a tag, with the name of their world in their topic titles (like this "[Mycoolworld] Flying elephant riding skills").

You might also like The Squishy Bits forum, where general roleplaying design (not related to campaign settings or rules for specific editions of D&D) is held. There might be discussions about things like, how to design your own continental plates, there.

brassdragon wrote:My creative projects do have a habit of never getting out of the research phase -- there's always more real-world history and mythology to take inspiration from, and more published gaming work to see what others have done with ideas I want to play with, and... :D

I've had a bit of that too. :(

I would suggest trying to build some sort of notes system for your older (stalled) projects, so that you can try to restart some of your older projects, if and when you get some inspiration. Maybe discussing some of your older concepts could inspire you (or inspire one of the rest of us :) ).

brassdragon wrote:

Thank you!

Brassdragon is a great name, but I'm sure that the names of some of the Mystaran dragons (and I don't know them, as my Mystara-fu is weak) would be great too.

There is actually a thing that happens every year on the anniversary of the day when The Piazza was founded, when custom user titles are given away. So maybe you might be able to grab the name of your favourite Mystaran dragon as a custom forum rank. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:06 am

Distorted Humor wrote:Hi all,

Same DH as in quite a few D&D forums.

Waves.

Hi Distorted Humor. Welcome to The Piazza!

Distorted Humor wrote:Mostly play B/X BECMI, OD&D (and variations of OD&D), 1st and 2nd. Picking up 5th edition over time.

That's a big range. I've gone from 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition...and recently went back to 2nd Edition (because I got offered a slot in AuldDragon's Spelljammer show on Twitch TV).

I do find it interesting to see that 5th Edition appeals more to some old school fans than 4th and 3rd Edition. And it's interesting to see people who are experts in multiple systems, as they can help lots of people, if they recall those systems.

I'm more into campaign settings than rules, these days, but each D&D system supported a number of different settings. So when people have played more editions of D&D than me, that often means that they have had access to more D&D worlds than me. I'll be interested to know if the different rules you have played have attracted you to different campaign settings.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:30 am

Jürgen Hubert wrote:Hello, everyone!

A few people might know me from RPGNet and other forums. I've been playing (A)D&D on and off since the early nineties (and I am currently preparing for a 5e campaign), and I enjoy reading about the assorted D&D worlds, as well as doing some serious worldbuilding of my own.

That's an impressive post count you have over on RPGNet. :shock:

I love learning about D&D worlds too. I don't know enough about all of them. There are a few obscure campaign settings that I had not heard about, before joining The Piazza. (And there are still a few worlds that seem to have a fanbase so small that they have not broken out of the Other Worlds forum and "won" their own bespoke Piazza forum...yet. I'm still hoping to meet some fans who can teach me more about those.)

Jürgen Hubert wrote:Which ties in with my current project: I want to explore what Maztica, the "Mesoamerican" region of the Forgotten Realms, might be like in the current, 5e era after the upheavals of the Spellplague and the Sundering, after Maztica vanished into the world of Abeir and finally returned to Toril. I am aware that there are similar projects - most especially Seethyr's awesome work on the subject - but I am going for a somewhat different approach. While the 5e era is seen frequently seen as sort of "reboot" for the Forgotten Realms - a return to its roots while keeping the timeline intact - I am going to embrace the changes the timeline has wrought on Maztica and use them as an opportunity to turn it into more fantastic setting with more opportunities for adventures while still being recognizable as a Mesoamerican-inspired region.

It's fun to see how different people can have slightly different ideas about the same thing. I'm going to enjoy seeing Seethyr's thoughts on how your stuff can work.

(I'm probably more likely to be trying to work out how to fit elements of Maztica into Realmspace, but I always like to see someone putting a plan into action. It's fun.)

Jürgen Hubert wrote:I've started a discussion thread for this topic, which you can find here. I hope I will see some of you around!

That's a great topic. (It won a slot on the Piazza's social media syndication machine, in case you didn't notice.) I also like your other topic about how magic works on Abeir. I've met more than one person who would like to have seen an Abeir sourcebook/netbook.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby scottdprt » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:18 pm

A much delayer introduction

Hail and well met to everyone,

I am Scott Davenport living in Northeast Pennsylvania and have been playing/DMing Dungeons & Dragons since 1979. My major contributions to the community has been DMing/writing for Living Greyhawk and I am an active DM/writer for Greyhawk Reborn. Greyhawk Reborn continues the legacy of Living Greyhawk presenting an organized play experience equal to LG. Other than that, I am on staff for Mepacon, a twice a year gaming convention with over 30 conventions under our belt and still surviving and growing.

http://www.mepacon.com/
http://greyhawkreborn.net/
Scott Davenport
Greyhawk Reborn Writer/DM
Mepacon Convention Staff
scottdprt
Goblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Greetings Scott! Very cool that you are working on Greyhawk, it is one of the settings I do have something of a fond affinity for; believe it or not Greyhawk is the second setting I was exposed to with the Realms being the first. I haven't checked out Greyhawk Reborn though, is the project generic enough to be used with Pathfinder? Or is it D&D 5E exclusive?

Never heard of Mepacon, will check out your link later.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby DarthManu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi guys, I was told to introduce myself here hehe

My name is Emanuel, I'm from Brazil and I found this forum when I was searching an adaptation of WoW to D&D5, and now I'm about to DM my first campaign. Nick name is Darth Manu because my friends call me Manu and I'm a member of The Jedi Council here in Brazil. Glad to meet you all.
DarthManu
Kobold

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Welcome to the Piazza Darth Manu! :)

I know a few Brazillian D&D fans. They are very cool people.

Do you play the Star Wars RPG then? We have a forum for that here :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 pm

Pleased to meet you, Manu! Do you or have you played the Star Wars RPGs? If you have, which incarnations of it do you like the best? If you've played the Fantasy Flight Games version, what are your thoughts on it?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ROTHGAR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey Guys. Rothgar (aka Ian) here. I'm a avid Tabletop RPG'er who also likes video games, cartoons, anime, swimming, reading, and damsels in distress (mmm...April O'Neil...^_~). I'm currently dating the love of my life and we live together in between Binghamton and Ithaca NY in a refurbished farm home (fortunately not near any farms anymore) while plugging away at our jobs. My favorite tabletop PC is Rothgar, a Barbarian/Fighter who comically announces his name and a whole list of his mighty deeds whenever someone asks who he is (to the point where my GF and friends have done everything they possibly can to keep me from speaking whenever we reach a settlement). My best friend's character (a dwarf fighter/cleric) has often refered to Rothgar as "an nigh indestructable idiot capable of beheading a dragon and giving angels headaches". ;)
ROTHGAR
Goblin

Postby RobJN » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:23 pm

ROTHGAR wrote:My favorite tabletop PC is Rothgar, a Barbarian/Fighter who comically announces his name and a whole list of his mighty deeds whenever someone asks who he is (to the point where my GF and friends have done everything they possibly can to keep me from speaking whenever we reach a settlement). My best friend's character (a dwarf fighter/cleric) has often refered to Rothgar as "an nigh indestructable idiot capable of beheading a dragon and giving angels headaches". ;)

Town troublemaker, at the door to the Inn: "Hey, ROTHGAR*, what did you do in the dungeon today?"

(Note that the inn's patrons can't beat a hasty retreat, as ROTHGAR blocks the door with his mighty thews)

* he seems the type that his name should be spelled as it is spoken: IN ALL CAPS.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby ROTHGAR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 pm

RobJN wrote:
ROTHGAR wrote:My favorite tabletop PC is Rothgar, a Barbarian/Fighter who comically announces his name and a whole list of his mighty deeds whenever someone asks who he is (to the point where my GF and friends have done everything they possibly can to keep me from speaking whenever we reach a settlement). My best friend's character (a dwarf fighter/cleric) has often refered to Rothgar as "an nigh indestructable idiot capable of beheading a dragon and giving angels headaches". ;)

Town troublemaker, at the door to the Inn: "Hey, ROTHGAR*, what did you do in the dungeon today?"

(Note that the inn's patrons can't beat a hasty retreat, as ROTHGAR blocks the door with his mighty thews)

* he seems the type that his name should be spelled as it is spoken: IN ALL CAPS.

Rothgar the Mighty: "ROTHGAR SHALL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ANNOYING TINY MAN! ROTHGAR SMOTE THE KING OF BONES WITH HIS MIGHTY GREAT AXE AND NOW WISHES TO CELEBRATE HIS MANY VICTORIES WITH HIS FRIENDS, ALE, AND WENCHES!"

Thorik the Dwarf: Sigh...why do you always have yell all the time you muscle bound idiot. You've been doing it all day and by Moradin's beard it's giving me such a headache!

Rothgar the Mighty: SILLY FRIEND THORIK! ROTHGAR THINKS YOU NEED MUCH ALE TO CURE YOUR HIDEOUS HEADACHE.

Thorik the Dwarf:...what I need is to somehow find an enemy that can put you out of my misery.

;) :D
ROTHGAR
Goblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 pm

ROTHGAR wrote:Hey Guys. Rothgar (aka Ian) here. I'm a avid Tabletop RPG'er who also likes video games, cartoons, anime, swimming, reading, and damsels in distress (mmm...April O'Neil...^_~). I'm currently dating the love of my life and we live together in between Binghamton and Ithaca NY in a refurbished farm home (fortunately not near any farms anymore) while plugging away at our jobs. My favorite tabletop PC is Rothgar, a Barbarian/Fighter who comically announces his name and a whole list of his mighty deeds whenever someone asks who he is (to the point where my GF and friends have done everything they possibly can to keep me from speaking whenever we reach a settlement). My best friend's character (a dwarf fighter/cleric) has often refered to Rothgar as "an nigh indestructable idiot capable of beheading a dragon and giving angels headaches". ;)
Hahahah! That is great! Serious ROLE playing. :lol:

Welcome!!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to The Philosopher's Stone