Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by T'masD'Mazz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks; well, it is born as a Dragonmarked character for an Eberron campaign (Half-elf, wizard,) but you can us it in the way you see mor fit.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm

T'masD'Mazz wrote:Hello to everybody, I'm T'masD'mazz, Alias Tommaso Mazzoni, I'm Italian, and I'm a big fan of D&D, and fantasy in general.
Welcome to The Piazza!

And welcome to everyone else I have missed! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

baticeer
Kobold

Post by baticeer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Ellie, aka baticeer, I found my way here because I was googling information about the Nentir Vale setting and found the amazing reference resources on the Nentir Vale section. About me, in real life, I'm a college student, been playing D&D for a couple of years but I've always loved fiction and worldbuilding so I'm very attracted to the worlds & lore side of D&D. Like I said, I'm kind of on a 4e/Nerath/Nentir Vale world kick right now (trying to set up a 5e campaign set in that world at the moment) but I also like the Forgotten Realms, especially the novels.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Welcome to the Piazza, Ellie!

We have some real hard core Nentir Vale fans here and that is really a growing community. The Forgotten Realms forum could always use more people as well! :)

Hope you like it here :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 am

baticeer wrote:Hi everyone, I'm Ellie, aka baticeer, I found my way here because I was googling information about the Nentir Vale setting and found the amazing reference resources on the Nentir Vale section. About me, in real life, I'm a college student, been playing D&D for a couple of years but I've always loved fiction and worldbuilding so I'm very attracted to the worlds & lore side of D&D. Like I said, I'm kind of on a 4e/Nerath/Nentir Vale world kick right now (trying to set up a 5e campaign set in that world at the moment) but I also like the Forgotten Realms, especially the novels.
Welcome to The Piazza, Ellie. The Tribality site did a series on how to run Nentir Vale games using 5e rules. You may want to check those out, as they may have done some of the work for you. I ran a Nentir Vale campaign using 13th Age (which was co-designed by the lead designer of 4e), and it was awesome, too. If you're looking for input, feel free to start a new thread. We're a friendly and helpful group.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:32 am

T'masD'Mazz wrote:Hello to everybody, I'm T'masD'mazz, Alias Tommaso Mazzoni, I'm Italian, and I'm a big fan of D&D, and fantasy in general.
Bon journo!
6 months of Italian in school and that’s about all I got and I can’t even spell it! Seriously,though welcome.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

baticeer
Kobold

Post by baticeer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 am

Tim Baker wrote:Welcome to The Piazza, Ellie. The Tribality site did a series on how to run Nentir Vale games using 5e rules. You may want to check those out, as they may have done some of the work for you. I ran a Nentir Vale campaign using 13th Age (which was co-designed by the lead designer of 4e), and it was awesome, too. If you're looking for input, feel free to start a new thread. We're a friendly and helpful group.
Thanks! I hadn't seen those articles, but they are useful, particularly the advice on which 4e adventures are in what locations. I wish I had seen their 5e deity chart for the Dawn War pantheon earlier, that was actually the first thing I made and it's interesting to see what domains they picked and such :lol: I am hoping to run it as a sandbox / West Marches style thing, so most of what I've been doing is based on the "Threats to the Nentir Vale" book, conversions of the more unique monsters from that to 5e and also making random encounter tables for different parts of the Vale... I'll almost certainly post it all here when/if I finish! That book is great, its like a mini campaign setting and a monster manual all in one.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:28 am

baticeer wrote:I am hoping to run it as a sandbox / West Marches style thing, so most of what I've been doing is based on the "Threats to the Nentir Vale" book, conversions of the more unique monsters from that to 5e and also making random encounter tables for different parts of the Vale... I'll almost certainly post it all here when/if I finish! That book is great, its like a mini campaign setting and a monster manual all in one.
Agreed. It's quite possibly my single favorite book for Nentir Vale details. Sounds like a fun campaign idea. Let us know how it goes.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm

baticeer wrote:Hi everyone, I'm Ellie, aka baticeer, I found my way here because I was googling information about the Nentir Vale setting and found the amazing reference resources on the Nentir Vale section. About me, in real life, I'm a college student, been playing D&D for a couple of years but I've always loved fiction and worldbuilding so I'm very attracted to the worlds & lore side of D&D. Like I said, I'm kind of on a 4e/Nerath/Nentir Vale world kick right now (trying to set up a 5e campaign set in that world at the moment) but I also like the Forgotten Realms, especially the novels.
Welcome to The Piazza !
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : D&D5E Home-brewing a mini setting
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 am

Welcome, Ellie. :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

antesse
Kobold

Post by antesse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 am

Hello, I'm Antesse. I've been playing RPGs for as long as I can remember and have played pretty much every version of Dungeons and Dragons at one time or another and in many of the settings. I also play a lot of other RPGs. My current RPG passion is a game called Fate Core but I'm working with it in a mode that feels a lot like the spirit of old D&D.

The D&D setting I use most often is the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting and I have run several campaigns and many one shots using the setting. I'm not opposed to other settings but I am slowly building up a collection of books of setting books and campaign continuity. Might as well keep going.

I am also trying to figure out how to use the planes of Magic The Gathering (especially Zendikar) as a setting for games and thankfully WotC has published some documents online on how to play 5E D&D on various planes so that's a start.

Anyway, hello to everyone. Glad to be here. Time to get comfy.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 am

Hello Antesse!

Welcome to The Piazza!

Kingdoms of Kalamar is a great setting. I see that you have already discovered the Kalamar forum here at The Piazza. I remember getting several of the Kalamar books in the early 3E era just because they were some of the best setting books available at the time.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chris107
Orc

Post by Chris107 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello chaps, Chris Here. Chris107 on this and other forums.
Played D&D and 1st Edition AD&D with the same group since 1976. We switched to 5e last year.
I play in and run a few online games over at Dragonsfoot including my new Wilderlands, World Emperor game which I’m quite excited about.
Other games that I play or am interested in include Legends of the Old West, Dragon Rampant, Bolt Action, Runequest 2nd Edition, Call of Cthulhu and tabletop Wargames mainly in the ancient period.
I now live full time in Yorkshire (a small village called Haworth).

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Welcome Antesse! :)

Hello Chris. :cool: I recognize you from DF. :mrgreen:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Chris107 wrote:Hello chaps, Chris Here. Chris107 on this and other forums.
Played D&D and 1st Edition AD&D with the same group since 1976. We switched to 5e last year.
I play in and run a few online games over at Dragonsfoot including my new Wilderlands, World Emperor game which I’m quite excited about.
Other games that I play or am interested in include Legends of the Old West, Dragon Rampant, Bolt Action, Runequest 2nd Edition, Call of Cthulhu and tabletop Wargames mainly in the ancient period.
I now live full time in Yorkshire (a small village called Haworth).
Hiya Chris :) Good to see you here! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi T'mas D'Mazz! Welcome to The Piazza.

I like the way that you have turned Tommaso into T'mas and Mazzoni into D'Mazz. That's pretty clever. There are a few other forum members who have made forum names out of distorted versions of their real names.

I've already spoken to you in one of your Eberron topics, but I didn't notice you were new at the time. :oops:

Most of the Italian D&D fans I bump into are Mystara fans. It's nice to meet a fan of something else (for a change). Are there a lot of Eberron fans over in Italy? I'm not sure how many of the Eberron books Twenty Five Edition translated into Italian. Did they do all of the RPG books? Are there Italian versions of all the novels? Were the 4e Eberron products translated too?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 pm

baticeer wrote:Hi everyone, I'm Ellie, aka baticeer, I found my way here because I was googling information about the Nentir Vale setting and found the amazing reference resources on the Nentir Vale section.
Hi Ellie/Baticeer. Welcome to The Piazza.

You are the second person I've spoken too without realising they were new and saying "hi". (I bumped into you in your Kenku topic in the Nentir Vale forum.) I must be slipping. :oops:

I've been posting about Nentir Vale since before The Piazza had a forum. I'm so glad one got set up. :)

I was very sad when Gazetteer: The Nentir Vale and the other Nerath gazetteers got cancelled. Just as 4th Edition was getting around to fleshing out the setting they pulled the rug from underneath it and started up the Edition Treadmill.

If you ever get the time to check the older Nentir Vale topics, you will see that we had a great leap forward when Zeromaru X arrived. He has an amazing amount of knowledge on Nentir Vale and 4th Edition products. Some of his topics include so much information about bits of Nentir Vale that I literally can not think of anything to say in reply. :)
baticeer wrote:About me, in real life, I'm a college student, been playing D&D for a couple of years but I've always loved fiction and worldbuilding so I'm very attracted to the worlds & lore side of D&D. Like I said, I'm kind of on a 4e/Nerath/Nentir Vale world kick right now (trying to set up a 5e campaign set in that world at the moment) but I also like the Forgotten Realms, especially the novels.
I'm a fan of the worlds of D&D (more than the rules). My preferred ruleset is 3rd Edition, but I don't have any special attachment to it. (And I'm currently playing in a live-streamed 2nd Edition game run by another member of The Piazza.) Are there any other D&D worlds you like? Are there any non D&D worlds you like?

Good luck getting a 5th Edition Nentir Vale game going. Hopefully you can find some other people doing the same thing. Don't forget that, if you are just asking for advice on rules (and not the Nentir Vale setting) you might get some help from non-Nentir Vale fans in the D&D 5th Edition forum. From what I hear some of the 4e stuff has migrated to 5e, so hopefully it won't be too hard.

I want to go the other way from you (using Nentir Vale with 3rd Edition) so we might not meet too much in conversion topics (as my 5e fu is weak) but I'm sure we will meet in non-rules specific Nentir Vale topics from time to time.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 pm

baticeer wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:Welcome to The Piazza, Ellie. The Tribality site did a series on how to run Nentir Vale games using 5e rules. You may want to check those out, as they may have done some of the work for you. I ran a Nentir Vale campaign using 13th Age (which was co-designed by the lead designer of 4e), and it was awesome, too. If you're looking for input, feel free to start a new thread. We're a friendly and helpful group.
Thanks! I hadn't seen those articles, but they are useful, particularly the advice on which 4e adventures are in what locations. I wish I had seen their 5e deity chart for the Dawn War pantheon earlier, that was actually the first thing I made and it's interesting to see what domains they picked and such :lol: I am hoping to run it as a sandbox / West Marches style thing, so most of what I've been doing is based on the "Threats to the Nentir Vale" book, conversions of the more unique monsters from that to 5e and also making random encounter tables for different parts of the Vale... I'll almost certainly post it all here when/if I finish! That book is great, its like a mini campaign setting and a monster manual all in one.
Oh. I forgot before.

Did you realise that Mike Mearls was running a Nentir Vale game (using 5th Edition rules)?

He dropped some information on Twitter about Moon Hills Exploration and Witchlight Fens Exploration and later gave people a look at a couple of Nentir Vale monsters.

I doubt that Nentir Vale is going to be one of the products that comes out in 2018, but I'm hoping I can spot Mike Mearls dropping other Nentir Vale information.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 am

antesse wrote:Hello, I'm Antesse. I've been playing RPGs for as long as I can remember and have played pretty much every version of Dungeons and Dragons at one time or another and in many of the settings. I also play a lot of other RPGs. My current RPG passion is a game called Fate Core but I'm working with it in a mode that feels a lot like the spirit of old D&D.
Hello again Antese. Thanks for popping over to this topic.

We don't have a bespoke Fate Core forum at The Piazza (not yet anyway) but if you ever want to talk about it, you can start topics in The Crunchy Bits forum. (Just add a "[Fate Core]" tag to the start of the names of any topics you start, so other fans can find the topics later.)
antesse wrote:The D&D setting I use most often is the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting and I have run several campaigns and many one shots using the setting. I'm not opposed to other settings but I am slowly building up a collection of books of setting books and campaign continuity. Might as well keep going.
I know how you feel. Spelljammer is the campaign setting I like most. But I have been trying to learn about Kingdoms of Kalamar. Maybe I can learn a few things from you.
antesse wrote:I am also trying to figure out how to use the planes of Magic The Gathering (especially Zendikar) as a setting for games and thankfully WotC has published some documents online on how to play 5E D&D on various planes so that's a start.
Magic: the Gathering is another thing there isn't a bespoke forum for yet. We have a few topics about official and unofficial Magic: the Gathering products in the Other Worlds forum. There was a time when Kingdoms of Kalmar didn't have a bespoke forum. Maybe the new Plane Shift products will help M:tG win one at some point. (If you do start any topics, please add a "[MtG]" tag. And if you are writing about Zendikar or another plane, you can also add the name of that plane as a tag.)

I've not played Magic for years, so I'm out of touch with the current card lines. I might read some of the MtG novels at some point, especially ones about Skyship Weatherlight.

I know that the planes in MtG work differently to the ones in D&D, but I'm not too clued up on them myself. I've hunted down some of the online documents, but I've still got a ton of stuff to figure out.

Have you already done some research on this stuff?
antesse wrote:Anyway, hello to everyone. Glad to be here. Time to get comfy.
I hope you can meet some people here who help you with your projects and maybe make some friends too. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 am

Chris107 wrote:Hello chaps, Chris Here. Chris107 on this and other forums.
Hi Chris. Thanks for surfing over to say "hi".

Does the "107" mean anything?
Chris107 wrote:Played D&D and 1st Edition AD&D with the same group since 1976. We switched to 5e last year.
Looks like you started before I did. I've seen quite a few 1e players taking up 5e (when they haven't taken up other editions of D&D). It does seem to be a lot more popular with old school players than anything else WotC have put out. I started with 2nd Edition and move to 3rd Edition (which isn't really much of a move :P ).

Did you switch from 1e to 5e during a change in campaign, or did you convert 1e PCs over to 5e?
Chris107 wrote:I play in and run a few online games over at Dragonsfoot including my new Wilderlands, World Emperor game which I’m quite excited about.
I saw your Blatant plug for my CSOTWE online game topic. It does sound like you are having fun. :)

I didn't realise you had other games over at Dragonsfoot. I don't get over there as much as I used to. How many games are you in (at the same time)?
Chris107 wrote:Other games that I play or am interested in include Legends of the Old West, Dragon Rampant, Bolt Action, Runequest 2nd Edition, Call of Cthulhu and tabletop Wargames mainly in the ancient period.
I don't know most of those. I've seen a few people mention Runequest here and there is a bespoke Call of Cthulhu forum here (now).

I doubt I'll ever play in any of those systems, but I'd like to see more people talking about them here (in The Crunchy Bits).

As for historical stuff, Havard has made multiple "[Href]" topics on Other Worlds. I would bet he would love to know what you have picked up about ancient periods. :cool:

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello, I'm S'mon. The man, the legend. Loved and hated in equal part (online - offline it's more vague affection/mild animosity) :lol:
I think I'm very slightly bipolar, and currently on the upside, which is handy as it means I just established a massive multi-table multi-GM open world Wilderlands campaign both offline (3 tables at a pub in London this Sunday) and online - several different PC groups, not even counting Chris107's related new CSWE campaign I'm playing in tomorrow. :cool:

My dark secret (for a Brit) is that I'm actually half working class, and Celt at that, but my mother always tried to be more 'U' than the Queen, so growing up I was forbidden all supposedly lower class entertainments such as tabloid newspapers and rock/pop music. This has given me an enduring love for Bruce Springsteen, '80s pop, Dungeons & Dragons, Power Metal - all '80s-style Metal really - and Page 3 girls...

...My long-suffering online player Chris107 is very stoic. :lol: :lol:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Greetings S'mon! What took you so long? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 am

S'mon wrote:Hello, I'm S'mon. The man, the legend. Loved and hated in equal part (online - offline it's more vague affection/mild animosity) :lol:
I think I'm very slightly bipolar, and currently on the upside, which is handy as it means I just established a massive multi-table multi-GM open world Wilderlands campaign both offline (3 tables at a pub in London this Sunday) and online - several different PC groups, not even counting Chris107's related new CSWE campaign I'm playing in tomorrow. :cool:
Hmm. Did you just compare yourself to Marmite? :lol:

Thanks for popping over. Welcome to The Piazza (again).

So how do you do 3 tables of Wilderlands games...at the same time? That sounds like hard work to me. :o

Is your massive multi-table multi-GM game like a mini version of the RPGA?

I heard that Dave Arneson had different groups of gamers competing against each other. And I've heard the legendary "Head of Vecna" multi-group Greyhawk story. Do you do things like that, that merge plotlines together?
S'mon wrote:My dark secret (for a Brit) is that I'm actually half working class, and Celt at that, but my mother always tried to be more 'U' than the Queen, so growing up I was forbidden all supposedly lower class entertainments such as tabloid newspapers and rock/pop music. This has given me an enduring love for Bruce Springsteen, '80s pop, Dungeons & Dragons, Power Metal - all '80s-style Metal really - and Page 3 girls...
My main use for tabloid newspapers, as a child, was to roll them up, pretend they were lightsabers and to chase flies around the house attempting to bash them. Sadly, I never won any XP, the day I bounced a fly off of two walls in the bathroom and knocked it down the toilet.

I am more into Billy Joel than Bruce Springsteen, but I mostly think of Billy Joel busking at this London Underground station. :P
S'mon wrote:...My long-suffering online player Chris107 is very stoic. :lol: :lol:
LOL! I'm guessing there is a story there. :lol:

Oh, do you like any campaign settings other than WIlderlands?

And do you like more than one of the Wilderlands variants?

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:12 am

Big Mac wrote: So how do you do 3 tables of Wilderlands games...at the same time? That sounds like hard work to me. :o
I have two vassal GMs... I mean co-GMs... running adventures taking place at the same time, in world and IRL. So each game table represents an area of the campaign map: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_zdfAcMibV0/ ... BHills.jpg

My core area is around Selatine village, but I'm currently running a side quest at the Stone Tooth near Highhaven, the amazon fortress. The other GMs are running material around the villages of Bratanis and (just starting) Kalmisj.
Is your massive multi-table multi-GM game like a mini version of the RPGA?
I think they run the same adventure at different tables? So no, definitely not like that. As David's group kills named NPCs in the Sunless Citadel near Bratanis, I cross off those NPCs in my copy of Sunless Citadel.
I heard that Dave Arneson had different groups of gamers competing against each other. And I've heard the legendary "Head of Vecna" multi-group Greyhawk story. Do you do things like that, that merge plotlines together?
We do some crossover elements, eg the hobgoblins Chris107's online PC Mordred battled in Stonehell Dungeon near Selatine are the same hobgoblin faction the PCs in David's game have been fighting against near Bratanis. We discuss plot elements. Tom's Kalmisj came will likely involve Black Sun cultists, a faction IMC the older online PCs like Chris107's Hakeem Godslayer have battled for years. On Sunday Tom and me discussed the Black Sun & Neo-Nerathi, their ethos etc.

Competing against each other - only when my son Bill (10) is playing, he's a one man faction! :lol: He certainly keeps life interesting for the other PCs, online & offline. Normally the PC groups are adventurer groups more or less good guys, and a major conceit is that PCs should be able to move from group to group.
Oh, do you like any campaign settings other than WIlderlands?

And do you like more than one of the Wilderlands variants?
I recently ran a Karameikos/Mystara campaign for two years or so 2015-2017 http://smonskarameikos.blogspot.co.uk/, I ran two Golarion campaigns 2014-2017 http://smonscurseofthecrimsonthrone.blogspot.co.uk/and a major 5.5 year Forgotten Realms campaign 2011-2016 - http://frloudwater.blogspot.co.uk/
I've also enjoyed running Gygax's Yggsburgh and expanding that world, along with Rob Conley's Points of Light. I'm currently running a fortnightly side campaign in the 4e Nentir Vale setting. And a solo Council of Wyrms game with Bill - he sure loves being a red dragon. :lol: And I had a homebrew setting I ran 1986 to around 2006. I've run some Greyhawk, but it's never been a big thing for me.

Wilderlands is my big thing since 2006, though it took several years to learn how to run it right. The current campaign really started I'd say with 10 sessions of 1e AD&D in 2013, but only really with the 5e reboot in Jan 2015 did it take off.

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 am

Wilderlands variants - not really, I like Bob Bledsaw's stuff and some of the 3e WoHF best. I tend to play up the sci-fi/sword & planet stuff a bit, Flash Gordon's Mongo especially is an influence, whereas Conley & Mishler seem to have more historical and traditional high-fantasy takes on the setting. Conley's mythic-Russian "Wild North" in Fight On! #3 was about the opposite of how I'd have done the area beyond Valon. If anything I get more influence from Golarion, which is more of a pulp-influenced setting (no transgender dwarf shaman PCs IMC yet, though).

For me the core of the setting is 1970s sword & sorcery pulp literature, which edges into early '80s films - as well as the 1981 Flash Gordon and (obviously) Conan the Barbarian, all the cheesy post-Conan stuff like Beastmaster, Deathstalker, The Warrior & the Sorceress et al. I love worldbuilding off that stuff! :lol:

I guess by now my Wilderlands is its own thing, "S'mon's Wilderlands" I call it on the Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1736925893237128/ - you can join if you'd like to see how the multi-GM, multi-party, multi-platform (pub table & computer) :) thing works in practice.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”