Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 am

Big Mac wrote:I am more into Billy Joel than Bruce Springsteen, but I mostly think of Billy Joel busking at this London Underground station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6T2B3Vhtzk

:P :mrgreen: :lol:
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:57 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I am more into Billy Joel than Bruce Springsteen, but I mostly think of Billy Joel busking at this London Underground station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6T2B3Vhtzk

:P :mrgreen: :lol:
That was terrible. I had to play some Sabaton to get the taste out. :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 am

S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:So how do you do 3 tables of Wilderlands games...at the same time? That sounds like hard work to me. :o
I have two vassal GMs... I mean co-GMs... running adventures taking place at the same time, in world and IRL. So each game table represents an area of the campaign map: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_zdfAcMibV0/ ... BHills.jpg

My core area is around Selatine village, but I'm currently running a side quest at the Stone Tooth near Highhaven, the amazon fortress. The other GMs are running material around the villages of Bratanis and (just starting) Kalmisj.
Ah. If they are playing in slightly different areas, I can see how it would be easier to avoid stepping on each other's toes.
S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is your massive multi-table multi-GM game like a mini version of the RPGA?
I think they run the same adventure at different tables? So no, definitely not like that. As David's group kills named NPCs in the Sunless Citadel near Bratanis, I cross off those NPCs in my copy of Sunless Citadel.
Gotcha. So you would then be running a slightly different adventure in the same area.

Do you also take account of other things (like a PC fighting an NPC, but not killing them)?
S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I heard that Dave Arneson had different groups of gamers competing against each other. And I've heard the legendary "Head of Vecna" multi-group Greyhawk story. Do you do things like that, that merge plotlines together?
We do some crossover elements, eg the hobgoblins Chris107's online PC Mordred battled in Stonehell Dungeon near Selatine are the same hobgoblin faction the PCs in David's game have been fighting against near Bratanis. We discuss plot elements. Tom's Kalmisj came will likely involve Black Sun cultists, a faction IMC the older online PCs like Chris107's Hakeem Godslayer have battled for years. On Sunday Tom and me discussed the Black Sun & Neo-Nerathi, their ethos etc.

Competing against each other - only when my son Bill (10) is playing, he's a one man faction! :lol: He certainly keeps life interesting for the other PCs, online & offline. Normally the PC groups are adventurer groups more or less good guys, and a major conceit is that PCs should be able to move from group to group.
That does sound well organised.

So how many times have players moved PCs from one group to another?

I think if I was in that situation, I would probably want to maintain the continuity of working with other PCs, and would be less inclined to move, unless other things in my life forced me to change to another gaming day.
S'mon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Oh, do you like any campaign settings other than WIlderlands?

And do you like more than one of the Wilderlands variants?
I recently ran a Karameikos/Mystara campaign for two years or so 2015-2017 http://smonskarameikos.blogspot.co.uk/, I ran two Golarion campaigns 2014-2017 http://smonscurseofthecrimsonthrone.blogspot.co.uk/and a major 5.5 year Forgotten Realms campaign 2011-2016 - http://frloudwater.blogspot.co.uk/
I've also enjoyed running Gygax's Yggsburgh and expanding that world, along with Rob Conley's Points of Light. I'm currently running a fortnightly side campaign in the 4e Nentir Vale setting. And a solo Council of Wyrms game with Bill - he sure loves being a red dragon. :lol: And I had a homebrew setting I ran 1986 to around 2006. I've run some Greyhawk, but it's never been a big thing for me.

Wilderlands is my big thing since 2006, though it took several years to learn how to run it right. The current campaign really started I'd say with 10 sessions of 1e AD&D in 2013, but only really with the 5e reboot in Jan 2015 did it take off.
I can't get that third blog to work (the frloudwater one). :?

You might want to think about adding links to your blogs to your Piazza signature. That way, anyone who likes what you are talking about, can check out your games.

There is a Nentir Vale forum at The Piazza. Zeromaru X is the biggest Nentir Vale expert I know. I'd love to see you taking about your Nentir Vale games with him. He is a real walking encyclopedia! :)

The same goes for Council of Wyrms where Coronoides is dropping a lot of topics about the setting.

I've seen Yggsburgh mentioned and I know that Rob Conley's Points of Light has at least a couple of topics, but unlike Mystara, Forgotten Realms and Pathfinder Campaign Setting, they don't have bespoke forums at The Piazza (yet). (Maybe, if you like those settings, you could drop one or two topics in Other Worlds and increase the chances those settings will win their own forums. :D )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:21 am

S'mon wrote:Wilderlands variants - not really, I like Bob Bledsaw's stuff and some of the 3e WoHF best. I tend to play up the sci-fi/sword & planet stuff a bit, Flash Gordon's Mongo especially is an influence, whereas Conley & Mishler seem to have more historical and traditional high-fantasy takes on the setting. Conley's mythic-Russian "Wild North" in Fight On! #3 was about the opposite of how I'd have done the area beyond Valon. If anything I get more influence from Golarion, which is more of a pulp-influenced setting (no transgender dwarf shaman PCs IMC yet, though).

For me the core of the setting is 1970s sword & sorcery pulp literature, which edges into early '80s films - as well as the 1981 Flash Gordon and (obviously) Conan the Barbarian, all the cheesy post-Conan stuff like Beastmaster, Deathstalker, The Warrior & the Sorceress et al. I love worldbuilding off that stuff! :lol:
I've kind of gone the other way, as I like Spelljammer and like to play down the science fiction stuff for that setting, but I am a science fiction fan too an like to watch things like Flash Gordon and Conan the Barbarian.

There do seem to be some RPG settings that are a lot better at combining fantasy and science fiction elements.
S'mon wrote:I guess by now my Wilderlands is its own thing, "S'mon's Wilderlands" I call it on the Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1736925893237128/ - you can join if you'd like to see how the multi-GM, multi-party, multi-platform (pub table & computer) :) thing works in practice.
Thanks for the offer. :)

Did you know that you can claim bespoke URLs for Facebook groups? (Here is the one that The Piazza got: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thepiazza/.) It is a bit easier to use those URLs in links than the long numbered URLs that Facebook gives you by default.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Welcome, S'Mon! :mrgreen:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:52 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome, S'Mon! :mrgreen:
Thanks! :cool:

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:56 am

Big Mac wrote: Do you also take account of other things (like a PC fighting an NPC, but not killing them)?

So how many times have players moved PCs from one group to another?
I'm not sure why PCs fighting but no t killing an NPC would matter to different PCs?

I can only recall for sure 1 PC, a Warlock, moved from my group to David's when David started. Plus the GMs can use their PCs (when they played with me) as NPC backup for the PCs in their group, David did that.

As you said, players normally prefer to stick with one GM & group if possible.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 am

S'mon wrote:3 tables at a pub in London this Sunday
I'm struggling to get 3 players at the same table :lol: :lol: Good on you mate!
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 am

zontoxira wrote:
S'mon wrote:3 tables at a pub in London this Sunday
I'm struggling to get 3 players at the same table :lol: :lol: Good on you mate!
Currently have 22 RSVP'd for this Sunday, all playing or GMing in my Wilderlands campaign. :cool: I decided to put an RSVP cap at 24 which would be a theoretical 7 players each for the 3 GMs, if everyone shows up. :o

Dalillama
Gnoll

Post by Dalillama » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:40 am

Hi, all. New to the board, found it when I was looking for Spelljammer stuff. I have a fondness for a lot of the over the top 80s RPG settings you just don't see as much these days: Spelljammer, Rifts, After the Bomb, Castle Falkenstein, that sort. I generally prefer GURPS as a system, and will port near anything to it.

rredmond
Gnoll

Post by rredmond » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Welcome Dalillama!
Good stuff here. I'm sure you enjoy!
Be well,
--Ron--
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Filling in the Gaps for Old School Gamers

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:59 am

Welcome GURPS is my go-to for hard SF.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 am

Also welcome S'mon. I'm currently working on a 5e conversion of Council of Wryms and that generates a lot of material useful for the setting in any D&D edition. Both links in my signature feature rules for dragon PCs in 5e each with a slightly different 'take' but neither has reds :( .
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Jasper
Goblin

Post by Jasper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:12 am

Hi,
My name is Jasper. Been a lurker for a bit. As for gaming, I've been playing D&D since 1981 or so. Back then I had the Red Basic book and Blue Expert book and would get really confused when I tried to run a module like Sinister Secrets of Saltmarch which referred to things like Illusionists and Color Spray as I didn't understand there were two concurrent D&D systems lol.
My favourite D&D system by far is BECMI. Played a ton of 1rst Edition, some 2nd, a bit of 3rd, a fair bit of Pathfinder and no 4th or 5th though I hear 5th is good.
Played a ton of other RPGs - back in the day it was The Fantasy Trip (my first RPG actually), Car Wars, Twilight 2000, a ton of Rolemaster, various Palladium stuff, later on Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Fading Suns, Legends of the Five Rings, 7th Sea, Exalted, Scion. Sampled a lot of other games as well for briefer periods. I usually DM rather than play. Probably forgotten about others.
My favourite D&D setting is by far Mystara. Was upset when they switched it over to 2nd edition, much preferring BECMI. My favourite D&D Mystara module is X2: Castle Amber and my favourite setting is GAZ3 The Principalities of Glantri though most of my adventures were set in Karameikos simply for convenience (Karameikos allows Cleric, Halflings and Dwarves), besides that Karameikos is also a great setting.
I am currently on a Mystara/BECMI tear, inspired by Mr. Welch's recent YouTube postings reviewing old books. Been pouring over articles on the Vaults of Pandius and various other blogs and sites and yoinking various things in case I even run something there again.
So that's it for now. I've been compiling a few questions which I'll end up posting on the Mystara board at some point.
Jasper

WhenBlackRosesBloom
Kobold

Post by WhenBlackRosesBloom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 am

Greetings and well met.

My name is Dimitri, I'm 38 and I currently live in the UK (soon to move to Edinburgh). I've been a role player for most of my life, since 1990 if memory serves, and I still play ad&d 2nd edition.

I love the Ravenloft setting, and close behind Forgotten Realms follows. I am currently running a campaign that is going on for almost 10 years, three different parties, 2 different countries, and these days it runs on roll20 (as most of us are scattered throughout the UK). It is a heavily modified Grand Conjunction campaign and we are on Feast of Goblyns (about in the middle).

I always loved settings that are dark, dank and horrible, like Call of Cthulhu, Little Fears, Vampire: The Dark Ages, Ars Magica and the likes. I like-nay-I love to incorporate and cross over stuff in my campaigns, having played in Planescape a long time ago as a player, and me and my party were switching worlds between our adventures.

I started collecting a lot of stuff when I moved in the UK from Greece, but nowdays I end up using them instead of just having them there, accumulating dust on a bookshelf.

I found The Piazza from Dragonsfoot, and I am quite happy to see other people being interested in the old d&d/ad&d as I am.

So, happy to be here, hope to seeing you often. :)
"A crucifix? Oy vey, have you got the wrong vampire!"

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:53 am

Welcome Jasper and WBRB !

What is Grand Conjonction ?
Currently playing : (player in) Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:52 pm

Jasper wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:12 am
Hi,
My name is Jasper. Been a lurker for a bit. As for gaming, I've been playing D&D since 1981 or so. Back then I had the Red Basic book and Blue Expert book and would get really confused when I tried to run a module like Sinister Secrets of Saltmarch which referred to things like Illusionists and Color Spray as I didn't understand there were two concurrent D&D systems lol.
My favourite D&D system by far is BECMI. Played a ton of 1rst Edition, some 2nd, a bit of 3rd, a fair bit of Pathfinder and no 4th or 5th though I hear 5th is good.
Played a ton of other RPGs - back in the day it was The Fantasy Trip (my first RPG actually), Car Wars, Twilight 2000, a ton of Rolemaster, various Palladium stuff, later on Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Fading Suns, Legends of the Five Rings, 7th Sea, Exalted, Scion. Sampled a lot of other games as well for briefer periods. I usually DM rather than play. Probably forgotten about others.
My favourite D&D setting is by far Mystara. Was upset when they switched it over to 2nd edition, much preferring BECMI. My favourite D&D Mystara module is X2: Castle Amber and my favourite setting is GAZ3 The Principalities of Glantri though most of my adventures were set in Karameikos simply for convenience (Karameikos allows Cleric, Halflings and Dwarves), besides that Karameikos is also a great setting.
I am currently on a Mystara/BECMI tear, inspired by Mr. Welch's recent YouTube postings reviewing old books. Been pouring over articles on the Vaults of Pandius and various other blogs and sites and yoinking various things in case I even run something there again.
So that's it for now. I've been compiling a few questions which I'll end up posting on the Mystara board at some point.
Jasper
Hello Jasper! Great seeing a fellow Mystara fan here! I like many of the other games you mention as well. Would be great seeing discussions of RoleMaster, Fading Suns, L5R, 7th Sea, Exalted etc here too. We should have one or two threads about The Fantasy Trip here somewhere.

See you on the Mystara boards and elsewhere! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 pm

WhenBlackRosesBloom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 am
Greetings and well met.

My name is Dimitri, I'm 38 and I currently live in the UK (soon to move to Edinburgh). I've been a role player for most of my life, since 1990 if memory serves, and I still play ad&d 2nd edition.
Welcome to The Piazza Dimitri! :)

I recall playing in Feast of Goblyns at one point myself. Don't worry I won't spoil anything! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Welcome to all the newcomers! :D
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

WhenBlackRosesBloom
Kobold

Post by WhenBlackRosesBloom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Thank you all!

Havard wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 pm
WhenBlackRosesBloom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 am
Greetings and well met.

Welcome to The Piazza Dimitri! :)

I recall playing in Feast of Goblyns at one point myself. Don't worry I won't spoil anything! :)

-Havard
It is quite nice as a scenario, albeit a little dated (to be completely honest). A few tweaks here and there though did it and it seems to be working fine. :)
"A crucifix? Oy vey, have you got the wrong vampire!"

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:47 pm

To any of the newcomers who would be interested in a play-by-post game, I'm attempting to get one together, using my slight modification of 3.5 rules and incorporating material from several obscure books, such as Ghostwalk, Drow of the Underdark, Magic of Incarnum, Heroes of Horror, and the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. Pm me if interested.

SteveMiller
Goblin

Post by SteveMiller » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Hello all...

I finally got around to setting up an account here. I am a one-time contributor to various TSR settings and rules-sets from 1994 - 2003 (roughly). I also popped up elsewhere.

I got my start playing RPGs with "Star Frontiers" and I never did play AD&D1 but instead stuck with D&D. These days, I regularly play using the D&D Rules Cyclopedia (DMing a campaign in my version of the Known World) and teh WEG D6 Star Wars rules. On the game design front, I mostly write bits and pieces for d20 Modern, a system I remain very fond of.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Welcome aboard, Steve!

And a hearty "Welcome aboard" to all the other new members who've joined us since the move to the new server :)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 am

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:53 am

https://www.goodreads.com/series/148213 ... ion-series
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:18 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 am
shesheyan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:53 am