Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Lord_Verdant
Goblin

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Lord_Verdant » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 pm

Hello. My name is Thomas Forsyth. A little over 20 years ago, I posted on the AOL message board as MF1234, and a few of my contributions made it to the Vaults of Pandius.

I learned about D&D in 1988, and was quite the fan, though this was still during the age of panic, which is probably why 2nd edition changed certain infernal names. It was during HS that I learned more bout the Known World and got the D&D boxed set and the Rules Cyclopedia along with Gazeteers. When I was in the Army, I had disposable income and ebay, so I added to my collection and purchased .pdfs online, leading to a nice collection.

I tend to hew closely to established rules and outcomes, though I enjoy fanon products, and I like to take canon products from other worlds and try to fit them into Mystara, and I love the guidance provided in Vaults of Pandius. One of my favorite modules is Night's Dark Terror, and I try to think of good sequel hooks. I also have other ideas that I can't wait to introduce on this board.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:59 am

Lord_Verdant wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 pm
Hello. My name is Thomas Forsyth. A little over 20 years ago, I posted on the AOL message board as MF1234, and a few of my contributions made it to the Vaults of Pandius.

I learned about D&D in 1988, and was quite the fan, though this was still during the age of panic, which is probably why 2nd edition changed certain infernal names. It was during HS that I learned more bout the Known World and got the D&D boxed set and the Rules Cyclopedia along with Gazeteers. When I was in the Army, I had disposable income and ebay, so I added to my collection and purchased .pdfs online, leading to a nice collection.

I tend to hew closely to established rules and outcomes, though I enjoy fanon products, and I like to take canon products from other worlds and try to fit them into Mystara, and I love the guidance provided in Vaults of Pandius. One of my favorite modules is Night's Dark Terror, and I try to think of good sequel hooks. I also have other ideas that I can't wait to introduce on this board.
Glad to have you here, Lord_Verdant! Welcome aboard. I'm a big fan of crossing other worldly material into my version of Mystara (so much in the 3.5 world of Eberron fits so nicely!) I look forward to seeing how you've shoe-horned material in :lol:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 am

Hey Lord Verdant, you finally made it here! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 am

Q: What is best in life?

A: To ban spammers, see them driven off The Piazza and welcome the new members to the forum!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Binajane
Kobold

Post by Binajane » Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Hello all. My name is Binajane and the real life mom to Gravesguardian. I have him to blame for getting me into video games and at age 75, I am hooked on them hehe. I love Minsc and Boo from Baulder's Gate, I also play Final Fantasy, Neverwinter Nights, Ice Wind Dale, Runescape, Fiesta, Grand Fantasia.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon May 28, 2018 10:25 pm

Welcome. You’ll find all kinds of information on the worlds those games are set in here. Have you tried roleplaying without the computer? If not try to give it a go. With the right referee you’ll have a blast.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue May 29, 2018 1:22 am

Binajane wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm
Hello all. My name is Binajane and the real life mom to Gravesguardian. I have him to blame for getting me into video games and at age 75, I am hooked on them hehe. I love Minsc and Boo from Baulder's Gate, I also play Final Fantasy, Neverwinter Nights, Ice Wind Dale, Runescape, Fiesta, Grand Fantasia.
Welcome to the community! It's great to have you here. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 am

You're never too old to RPG (or Rock & Roll)!
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Thu May 31, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi all! My name is Miranda. Or Mira. Either's fine. I am a queer writer, gamer, cat mom and all around nerd. I have been running and playing in tabletop RPGs for about two decades, so that's cool. Recently I have been itching to get back into some of those old games I enjoyed as a kid, and so I dusted off my AD&D books and convinced my current group that "it'll be fun guys. Trust me!" I also happened upon some Red Steel boxed sets a few weeks ago, and I kind of knew that it was meant to be. Also, I've spent more on AD&D books in the past like two weeks than I have any D&D books in like five years, so I guess I got that going for me? Anyway, nice to meet everyone.
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:31 am

Welcome to the community, Mira. So will you begin running an adventure soon, or will someone else be the DM? Will the adventure be set in portion of the Mystara setting that's detailed in the Red Steel products?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 am

Kythkyn wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:52 pm
Hi all! My name is Miranda. Or Mira. Either's fine. I am a queer writer, gamer, cat mom and all around nerd. I have been running and playing in tabletop RPGs for about two decades, so that's cool. Recently I have been itching to get back into some of those old games I enjoyed as a kid, and so I dusted off my AD&D books and convinced my current group that "it'll be fun guys. Trust me!" I also happened upon some Red Steel boxed sets a few weeks ago, and I kind of knew that it was meant to be. Also, I've spent more on AD&D books in the past like two weeks than I have any D&D books in like five years, so I guess I got that going for me? Anyway, nice to meet everyone.
Welcome, Mira.

The 2e Red Steel stuff is a blast, and there was more released online when TSR was still in its digital infancy, an online-only addition to their self-contained/one-shot setting "Odyssey" line. You can find prettified PDFs of that material at the Vaults of Pandius.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 pm

RobJN wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 am
Welcome, Mira.

The 2e Red Steel stuff is a blast, and there was more released online when TSR was still in its digital infancy, an online-only addition to their self-contained/one-shot setting "Odyssey" line. You can find prettified PDFs of that material at the Vaults of Pandius.
Thanks! I have been plundering Pandius, but direct links are always helpful!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 am

Binajane wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm
Hello all. My name is Binajane and the real life mom to Gravesguardian.
Welcome to The Piazza Binajane! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 am

Kythkyn wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:52 pm
Hi all! My name is Miranda. Or Mira.
Welcome to The Piazza, Mira! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 am
Welcome to The Piazza, Mira! :)

-Havard
Takk Håvard!

JMichael
Kobold

Post by JMichael » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:26 am

Hello everyone my name is JMichael I found the vaults of pandius which led me to the piazza. I started playing D&D around 1998/1999, I learned from a friend and his parents. They taught all of my high school gaming companions actually. I started with a homebrew mix of AD&D 1st and 2nd edition. The first book I bought was the 2nd Ed. Players Handbook I also bought the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Game box set around this time too.
Growing up in a Bible Belt area my parents and some of my friends parents still had a touch of the “D&D is EVIL hysteria” that was popular in the 80’s lol and one day I realized I couldn’t find any of my D&D stuff. Well it was purged from my bookshelf along with a few other books that didn’t set in favor with my mother.
After a kind of short talk she was satisfied that I wasn’t a “devil worshipper” and spells were part of a game not the occult I was allowed to play again but the damage was done and my book and box set along with a few folders of Xeroxed reference material couldn’t be retrieved. So she took me to the comic shop and told me to find a replacement book and box set. I wasn’t really happy with the PHB I had so I looked for something a different. I found a book with what looked like a dragon chasing a guy on horse. I flipped through it, Character creation/ classes/ spells/ equipment…check. DM procedures/ Monsters/ Immortals/ Treasure…check. Character/ NPC/ Spell/ Adventure Sheets…check. Starting world…check.
The only box set that looked good to me was the Red Steel Savage Baronies box set so I got that to replace the one that was gone, I didn’t realize until much later it was set in Mystara…the same Mystara in the Rules Cyclopedia. Lol.
Well that’s how D&D started for me. I couldn’t count how many games I have ran using only the RC content. It fits my gaming style perfect and allows for just the right amount of tweaking.
Besides the RC I have PDF of the GAZ series and a few others. I just found out that DriveThruRPG has a RC hardcover print version I think im going to buy so I can retire my original one. I also noticed that the Northern Reaches (GAZ 7) has a softcover print version I was think about getting but I haven’t really checked any reviews. If anyone has bought the print version what did you think of it?
I haven’t played D&D in a few years but I recently found a few people that live close that play 3.5 and Pathfinder but they are willing to give BECMI a shot, so I dug out my box of D&D stuff and dusted off my dice.
Anyway, it’s great to see that Mystara is still going strong…it has a very dedicated fan base from what I can see. I look forward to posting more in the future and getting feedback from fellow BECMI DM’s and players.

Please forgive any and all spelling and grammar errors. lol
What about second breakfast?

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 am

JMichael wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:26 am
Hello everyone my name is JMichael I found the vaults of pandius which led me to the piazza.
Welcome! I am just starting a new AD&D game, and one of the sets we're using is the Savage Baronies (along with Red Steel!)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello JMichael! Great to have you here :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi all,
my name is Thomas and I came here rather unexpectedly when Cubicle 7's forums folded rather quickly and on short notice and I read a note there about this site here.
I've been into RPG's for more than 30 years now (beginning with original D&D like most here), but soon discovered Middle-earth as a game setting almost exactly 30 years ago (back then it was MERP). Despite gaming in many other worlds and with other systems, my primary world when I GM myself (or write stuff for) is Middle-earth. This led me also to not only game in Middle-earth, but eventually publish a free online fanzine for it. This started almost exactly 11 years ago and carries on the tradition of an older hardcopy fanzine from the 1990s. More about the magazine can be found in this thread on The Piazza and my signature below. Please feel free to ask me anything you'd like to know about this :)

Thus you can find me most likely in the Middle-earth sub-forum here.

See you all and have fun!

Best
Tolwen
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Welcome Tolwen. There is a fairly active Middle Earth forum here covering all the RPGs across the decades.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Keridwyn44
Kobold

Post by Keridwyn44 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello, all! My name is Laura, and I've been gaming for a long time. My brother brought D&D home to play from college in the late 70's, and I've played various versions off and on since. Currently, I'm Loremaster for an Adventures in Middle-earth game for my family, and considering starting a public game at a nearby game store.

After the Cubicle 7 forum shut down, I've been lurking here and on a few other sites. Thanks for having me!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Welcome aboard, Thomas and Laura! Hope you find some good discussion on the Middle Earth sub forum, and drop by some of the others just to "hang out."
Rob

maff
Goblin

Post by maff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello All, my friends call me math or maff; I started playing d&d maybe a year after the Oe arrived in the UK and have played off and on ever since; over the last few years mainly off tbh. I’m primarily a solo wargamer now so I’m looking to use a D&D sandbox world to fix my figures and factions in place. I dm’d Wilderlands of high fantasy in my teens and still have the original maps, that and CSIO are probably my default world. That said I’m curious about the Wild North (?) sandbox and the Points of Light stuff created by Rob Conley. Cheers!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 am

maff wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:46 pm
Hello All, my friends call me math or maff; I started playing d&d maybe a year after the Oe arrived in the UK and have played off and on ever since; over the last few years mainly off tbh. I’m primarily a solo wargamer now so I’m looking to use a D&D sandbox world to fix my figures and factions in place. I dm’d Wilderlands of high fantasy in my teens and still have the original maps, that and CSIO are probably my default world. That said I’m curious about the Wild North (?) sandbox and the Points of Light stuff created by Rob Conley. Cheers!

Hello Maff! Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

matakishi
Kobold

Post by matakishi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Introduction time.
I started playing Holmes D&D in 1981. My roleplaying tended towards the crunchy for a few years, FGU's Aftermath was my go to system (along with its off-shoots Daredevils, Bushido) and MERP replaced AD&D for fantasy stuff.
Nowadays I prefer rules-light and the Black Hack is my fantasy system of choice with its off-shoots providing the rules for other genres. Currently, my own High Seas Hack is powering my Pirates campaign and the Cthulhu Hack (with some Cthulhu Dark) is going to underlie my Cthulhu games both finally dislodging CoC which I've been playing since 1st edition.
My Black Hack campaign is detailed here:
https://www.matakishi.net/frpg-adventures.html
And the nascent Pirates game is here:
https://www.matakishi.net/pirate-rpg-hub.html
Most of my gaming time is spent wargaming (although I'm in an RPG phase at the moment) with a healthy dose of board gaming too.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”