Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Havard »

matakishi wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm
Introduction time.
Welcome to The Piazza Matakishi! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

FASA_Andrew
Goblin

Post by FASA_Andrew »

I'm Andrew Ragland, line developer of 1879 at FASA Games Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of FASA Inc. (yes, that FASA, no, we didn't go out of business, like the Eagles we just took a long hiatus...) I'm here because Havard started talking about my product line and my ears were burning :). I've been gaming for forty years, give or take, from AD&D 2E (the boxed set with the low impact dice) through a raft of systems. I've been writing for FASA for about twenty years, and part of the company proper for about five. You can find me on the RPG Talk and FASA Official Discord servers, on FB, G+, and at FASA's own phpbb web forum.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn »

FASA_Andrew wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 pm
(yes, that FASA, no, we didn't go out of business, like the Eagles we just took a long hiatus...)
Cool! We've recently been playing FASA's Shadowrun 2e and it's a lot of fun
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

FASA_Andrew wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 pm
I'm Andrew Ragland, line developer of 1879 at FASA Games Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of FASA Inc. (yes, that FASA, no, we didn't go out of business, like the Eagles we just took a long hiatus...) I'm here because Havard started talking about my product line and my ears were burning :). I've been gaming for forty years, give or take, from AD&D 2E (the boxed set with the low impact dice) through a raft of systems. I've been writing for FASA for about twenty years, and part of the company proper for about five. You can find me on the RPG Talk and FASA Official Discord servers, on FB, G+, and at FASA's own phpbb web forum.
Welcome Andrew. 1879 sounds really interesting. I've booked marked it for future reference.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

matakishi wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm
Introduction time.
I started playing Holmes D&D in 1981. My roleplaying tended towards the crunchy for a few years, FGU's Aftermath was my go to system (along with its off-shoots Daredevils, Bushido) and MERP replaced AD&D for fantasy stuff.
Nowadays I prefer rules-light and the Black Hack is my fantasy system of choice with its off-shoots providing the rules for other genres. Currently, my own High Seas Hack is powering my Pirates campaign and the Cthulhu Hack (with some Cthulhu Dark) is going to underlie my Cthulhu games both finally dislodging CoC which I've been playing since 1st edition.
My Black Hack campaign is detailed here:
https://www.matakishi.net/frpg-adventures.html
And the nascent Pirates game is here:
https://www.matakishi.net/pirate-rpg-hub.html
Most of my gaming time is spent wargaming (although I'm in an RPG phase at the moment) with a healthy dose of board gaming too.
Welcome. There are Call of Cthulhu, Middle Earth, and Freeport forums here for you to steal ideas... err get inspiration from. My own introduction to RPG was via Holmes but his other book The imaginatively titled “Fantasy Role Playing Games”. His “The Reader Takes a Role” chapter and my own hacks was all we had that first year back in 1983.
THere are a lot of people who write stuff here and you can get some feedback on ideas.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

johnsonny
Orc

Post by johnsonny »

Hello all, @Tim Baker invited me to join the forums here, so shout out to him for being a great community member! :D

I've played a lot of different systems in the 7 years or so since I was introduced to RPGs, and my favorite by far is 13th Age. If one were to look at the GNS theory, I'd lean heavily toward the Narrative, which is why I think 13th Age hits such a strong chord with me. This is a good thing as I'm also one of the hosts of the Iconic Podcast (about all things 13th Age). :)
Listen and subscribe to the Iconic Podcast, which is about all things 13th Age.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Hello Johnsonny! Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

johnsonny wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:35 pm
If one were to look at the GNS theory
Can someone point me to an explanation of this?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

willpell wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:11 pm
johnsonny wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNS_theory

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

Havard wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm
willpell wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:11 pm
johnsonny wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNS_theory

-Havard
Okay, well I guess I don't agree with that analysis, but thanks for pointing it out.

johnsonny
Orc

Post by johnsonny »

willpell wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 pm
Okay, well I guess I don't agree with that analysis, but thanks for pointing it out.
It's certainly not an end-all-be-all, but I think it's a handy tool when talking to people about the types of games they like to play. :)
Listen and subscribe to the Iconic Podcast, which is about all things 13th Age.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

johnsonny wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:24 pm
willpell wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 pm
It's certainly not an end-all-be-all, but I think it's a handy tool when talking to people about the types of games they like to play. :)
It's vaguely similar to the "Timmy-Johnny-Spike" market research analysis used by the makers of Magic the Gathering - Gamist is Spike and Narrative is something like both Timmy and Johnny, while Simulationist is kind of like a different kind of Johnny who most Timmies would have trouble getting along with. However an obvious exclusion from the GNS division is the "casual gamer" who just wants "fun" (either enjoying the game itself on a non-serious level, or mostly just enjoying the fact that he's having fun with his friends), which is most of the definition of Timmy.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

johnsonny wrote:
Hello all, @Tim Baker invited me to join the forums here, so shout out to him for being a great community member! :D

I've played a lot of different systems in the 7 years or so since I was introduced to RPGs, and my favorite by far is 13th Age. If one were to look at the GNS theory, I'd lean heavily toward the Narrative, which is why I think 13th Age hits such a strong chord with me. This is a good thing as I'm also one of the hosts of the Iconic Podcast (about all things 13th Age). :)
Welcome! I'm glad you could join us. Feel free to check out previous 13th Age threads and add comments if you'd like to join in any of the discussions.

kinokopress
Goblin

Post by kinokopress »

Hi!
I’m Martin K, lately mostly known in the 13th Age community as a creator of 3rd party content. I self-published one expansion book, Dark Pacts and Ancient Secrets, with a bunch of new classes. I’m currently working on the next book, which will be a splatbook with expansion material for the existing core classes.
Author of Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets (new 13th Age classes)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

kinokopress wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:28 am
I’m Martin K, lately mostly known in the 13th Age community as a creator of 3rd party content. I self-published one expansion book, Dark Pacts and Ancient Secrets, with a bunch of new classes. I’m currently working on the next book, which will be a splatbook with expansion material for the existing core classes.
Welcome, Martin! I can verify that Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets is a great addition to 13th Age. I've purchased three copies and gave two to friends. I don't do that with just any product.

kinokopress
Goblin

Post by kinokopress »

In unrelated news, the book sold a total of 4 copies. (Thanks grandma!)
Author of Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets (new 13th Age classes)

minstrel
Kobold

Post by minstrel »

Hi! I'm Donald (Don works too), a (mostly fantasy) gamer from back in the funny period in the 80's when 1e AD&D was turning into 2e and the products were a bit of a mish-mash. Lately I've gotten more of an appreciation for classic D&D through the OSR community, and am helping run a small, but hopefully growing local BFRPG game.

I'm also interested in amateur astronomy and hobby programming, and I like finding opportunities to cross either over with gaming interests.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

minstrel wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm
Hi! I'm Donald (Don works too), a (mostly fantasy) gamer from back in the funny period in the 80's when 1e AD&D was turning into 2e and the products were a bit of a mish-mash. Lately I've gotten more of an appreciation for classic D&D through the OSR community, and am helping run a small, but hopefully growing local BFRPG game.

I'm also interested in amateur astronomy and hobby programming, and I like finding opportunities to cross either over with gaming interests.
Welcome to The Piazza, Donald! Are there any campaign settings that you particularly enjoy?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

minstrel wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm

You will find most of the traffic here discusses campaign settings from the AD&D 1e to 2e era. Including Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk but also my much neglected favourite Council of Wryms and other ‘boutique’ worlds.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

karinu
Kobold

Post by karinu »

I go by a number of different names but Karinu is probably the most common. I started roleplaying free-form on Internet Relay Chat back in the mid-90s, typically JRPG-inspired stuff (Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu, etc.). I mostly avoided systems-based games in my early days, but later on started to pick up some White Wolf stuff, and eventually D&D 3.5. Most of my D&D RP has involved the Eberron Campaign Setting.

These days I haven't had a lot of opportunities for RP, between work and not having good contacts for finding a group. I tend to favor story-heavy, high-concept campaigns, which seem particularly hard to come by and to maintain. I have been writing a story set in Eberron in my spare time, however, which takes place in the city of Korranberg and follows some of the supporting cast of an earlier half-campaign/half-cowritten-story. I have written the first chapter already and will probably post a link to it on the Eberron board later.

I'm also a software developer, and occasionally I'll write software related to RP in some way. I've created an IRC bot that logs RP and produces HTML documents, including support for color; some perl scripts for creating XHTML character sheets; and a JavaScript app for calculating HP from a formula (part of the house rules of a DM I work with).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Hi karinu, and welcome to The Piazza! Have you had a chance to check out the new D&D 5e support for Eberron?

If you ever find that you're passionate about 13th Age (a "love letter to D&D" designed by the lead designers of 3rd and 4th Edition D&D), I'd love to work with a volunteer on an idea I had for an online 13A character sheet. :)

Again, welcome!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Hello Kerinu!

Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

karinu
Kobold

Post by karinu »

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 am
Hi karinu, and welcome to The Piazza! Have you had a chance to check out the new D&D 5e support for Eberron?

If you ever find that you're passionate about 13th Age (a "love letter to D&D" designed by the lead designers of 3rd and 4th Edition D&D), I'd love to work with a volunteer on an idea I had for an online 13A character sheet. :)

Again, welcome!
I have not, though the DM I usually discuss Eberron with has. I'm planning to pick up 5e for an introductory campaign soon, but at the moment I've mostly just heard commentary on it by said DM. Most of my focus recently has been on writing Choices and Debts, the story I mentioned before which is set in a mostly 3.5-based Eberron (elements of 4e and PF that make sense pulled in when appropriate).

I haven't looked into 13th Age. The character sheet generation I mentioned is designed for 3.x/PF but might not be too difficult to adapt. It's not really an "online sheet" app, though; it's more of a compiler that takes a formatted text file and turns it into a static web page. One of the goals was to have a starting point that could go into a source control system like git and produce good, concise diffs, hence the compilation approach. It still needs some polish, so I may go back to it after I've read up on 5e. If anyone is curious, here is an example of a character sheet used with this compiler/renderer:

http://www.arinoru.net/~karinu/tikra.txt (Source text)
http://www.arinoru.net/~karinu/tikra.xml (Intermediate form)
http://www.arinoru.net/~karinu/tikra.xhtml (Rendered sheet)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

karinu wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:40 am
http://www.arinoru.net/~karinu/tikra.txt (Source text)
http://www.arinoru.net/~karinu/tikra.xml (Intermediate form)
http://www.arinoru.net/~karinu/tikra.xhtml (Rendered sheet)
That's very cool. It's similar in concept to what I'd be interested in building for 13th Age, except that I'd like to dynamically create "power cards" (to borrow a term from 4e D&D), mimicking character sheets such as this one:

If you'd like to discuss further, please create a new thread in the 13th Age sub-form, as it's more detail than would be appropriate in the Introduce Yourself thread. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I'm on catch-up again! (Pesky real-life stuff. ;) )
Dalillama wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:40 am
Hi, all. New to the board, found it when I was looking for Spelljammer stuff. I have a fondness for a lot of the over the top 80s RPG settings you just don't see as much these days: Spelljammer, Rifts, After the Bomb, Castle Falkenstein, that sort. I generally prefer GURPS as a system, and will port near anything to it.
Welcome to The Piazza Dalilama. I love the name. I was speculating on if you were going to put up a llama as your forum avatar. :)

It's always great to have another Spelljammer fan onboard. I've not ever played Rifts, After the Bomb or Castle Falkenstein. I'm not even sure if we have "starter topics"* for them yet. Are you doing a GURPS conversion of Spelljammer?

* = The first topic for something is generally some sort of "Does anyone play this?"/"What is this?"/"Where can I find more information?" topic. I call them "starter topics" as they are generally a lot more newbie friendly. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”