Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Jasper wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:12 am
Hi,
My name is Jasper. Been a lurker for a bit. As for gaming, I've been playing D&D since 1981 or so. Back then I had the Red Basic book and Blue Expert book and would get really confused when I tried to run a module like Sinister Secrets of Saltmarch which referred to things like Illusionists and Color Spray as I didn't understand there were two concurrent D&D systems lol.
Hi Jasper. Four years is a pretty good lurk. Thanks for delurking. Welcome to The Piazza.

That "Basic"/"Advanced" split confused me too. I am a Spelljammer fan and was actually considering getting Hollow World to help me with hollow Spelljammer worlds, but the hype surrounding AD&D being "advanced" made me think that I wouldn't be able to use any of the Classic D&D stuff without a ton of work learning the other system. I can see why Wizards of the Coast decided to drop down to having one branch of D&D.
Jasper wrote:
My favourite D&D system by far is BECMI. Played a ton of 1rst Edition, some 2nd, a bit of 3rd, a fair bit of Pathfinder and no 4th or 5th though I hear 5th is good.
I've heard good things about 5th Edition. It's not for me, but I think it's been quite good at bringing together some of the good ideas of older versions of D&D. (It's a shame they don't have more support for different settings though.)
Jasper wrote:
Played a ton of other RPGs - back in the day it was The Fantasy Trip (my first RPG actually), Car Wars, Twilight 2000, a ton of Rolemaster, various Palladium stuff, later on Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Fading Suns, Legends of the Five Rings, 7th Sea, Exalted, Scion. Sampled a lot of other games as well for briefer periods. I usually DM rather than play. Probably forgotten about others.
My favourite D&D setting is by far Mystara. Was upset when they switched it over to 2nd edition, much preferring BECMI. My favourite D&D Mystara module is X2: Castle Amber and my favourite setting is GAZ3 The Principalities of Glantri though most of my adventures were set in Karameikos simply for convenience (Karameikos allows Cleric, Halflings and Dwarves), besides that Karameikos is also a great setting.
You sure have done a lot of stuff. I've got a couple of Legend of the Five Rings books, but only because they are part of the 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures line. I'm not sure I'd play the Lot5R system, as I prefer D&D.

I've always looked at conversions (official or fan ones) as a way to bring fans of other rules systems to a campaign setting, but it does look like there have been some poor marketing issues around edition changes. I've heard other Mystara fans express dislike about the 2nd Edition products. And I recently heard that Jeff Grubb was so disappointed about executive meddling during the 2nd Edition Mystara production process that he decided to leave TSR. ;(

Luckily we don't have to worry about any of the old politics of edition changes here and folks can take the best ideas from the 2e Mystara stuff and retro-convert it to BECMI if that works better for them. :)
Jasper wrote:
I am currently on a Mystara/BECMI tear, inspired by Mr. Welch's recent YouTube postings reviewing old books. Been pouring over articles on the Vaults of Pandius and various other blogs and sites and yoinking various things in case I even run something there again.
So that's it for now. I've been compiling a few questions which I'll end up posting on the Mystara board at some point.Jasper
I've not heard of those videos Mr Welch has been making. Do you have links?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Jasper
Goblin

Post by Jasper » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 pm

I link to Mr. Welch's Mystara product reviews was asked for. Here is a link to his YouTube video page. Mostly he does Mystara stuff but he switches it up now and then. https://www.youtube.com/user/thehgw/videos

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:46 pm
I've not heard of those videos Mr Welch has been making. Do you have links?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3NteH ... aLXjMMHRkA

GP

Dalillama
Gnoll

Post by Dalillama » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:20 am
I'm on catch-up again! (Pesky real-life stuff. ;) )
Dalillama wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:40 am
Hi, all. New to the board, found it when I was looking for Spelljammer stuff. I have a fondness for a lot of the over the top 80s RPG settings you just don't see as much these days: Spelljammer, Rifts, After the Bomb, Castle Falkenstein, that sort. I generally prefer GURPS as a system, and will port near anything to it.
Welcome to The Piazza Dalilama. I love the name. I was speculating on if you were going to put up a llama as your forum avatar. :)

It's always great to have another Spelljammer fan onboard. I've not ever played Rifts, After the Bomb or Castle Falkenstein. I'm not even sure if we have "starter topics"* for them yet. Are you doing a GURPS conversion of Spelljammer?

* = The first topic for something is generally some sort of "Does anyone play this?"/"What is this?"/"Where can I find more information?" topic. I call them "starter topics" as they are generally a lot more newbie friendly. :)

Yeah, my current Spelljammer game is ported to GURPS 4e. Rifts is a fun kitchen sink setting marred by using thr Palladium system, which is a clunky piece of garbage. They finally licensed it to Savage Worlds last year, a system which I personally hate but is better than Palladium. After the Bomb is another Palladium setting; they had the TMNT license and made a post apocalypse setting where almost everyone was an anthropomorphic mutant animal. It became increasingly kitchen sink as new supplements came out, adding mahic and aliens and all kindsa stuff. Castle Falkenstein is Napoleonic era Europe with magic and faeries and an inland sea IIRC.

TwoFistedJustice
Goblin

Post by TwoFistedJustice » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm

My name is GarTanh, Destroyer of Argath, Protector of Falgon, Plunderer of.... err, sorry, getting a little ahead of myself here.

My name is Russ. I play Ad&D first and second edition.

I live in San Francisco. I build software. Sorry for reinforcing that stereotype.

Anyway, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I built an app to help speed up character generation for AD&D first and second edition. It's a bit wonky, but it does spit out the right numbers.

I will post a link elsewhere, in it's own thread. The app is free.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:51 am

TwoFistedJustice wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm
My name is GarTanh, Destroyer of Argath, Protector of Falgon, Plunderer of.... err, sorry, getting a little ahead of myself here.

I live in San Francisco. I build software. Sorry for reinforcing that stereotype.

Anyway, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I built an app to help speed up character generation for AD&D first and second edition. It's a bit wonky, but it does spit out the right numbers.

I will post a link elsewhere, in it's own thread. The app is free.
Hi Russ,
I’m sure your app will be useful to many people here. Many of the worlds discussed here date to the AD&D era and therefore many people here are playing those editions.
Does your app support any campaign setting specific races and classes such as Planescape tieflings or Dark Sun Defilers?
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:01 am

TwoFistedJustice wrote:
I build software. Sorry for reinforcing that stereotype.
Welcome, Russ! Not to worry: several of us reinforce that stereotype. ;)

TwoFistedJustice
Goblin

Post by TwoFistedJustice » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:51 am
Hi Russ,
I’m sure your app will be useful to many people here. Many of the worlds discussed here date to the AD&D era and therefore many people here are playing those editions.
Does your app support any campaign setting specific races and classes such as Planescape tieflings or Dark Sun Defilers?
No. But it could probably be made to support them by changing the data in the lookup tables. I posted the source code for the app over in Crunchy bits. The code has a bit of the old red sauce, so it may require updating the tables in multiple locations per race.

Yohann
Goblin

Post by Yohann » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi, I'm Yohann, a French 13th Age GM among many other tabletop RPGs (Pelgrane Press ones mostly at the moment).

I heard about this forum via a 13th Age thread in another very famous tabletop RPG forum, and what I've seen from it so far has made me feel like registering.

So... Well... Hi everyone!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 am

TwoFistedJustice wrote:

Hi Russ! Welcome to The Piazza! :)

I had so much fun with AD&D back in the days.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 am

Yohann wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:30 pm
Hi, I'm Yohann, a French 13th Age GM among many other tabletop RPGs (Pelgrane Press ones mostly at the moment).

I heard about this forum via a 13th Age thread in another very famous tabletop RPG forum, and what I've seen from it so far has made me feel like registering.

Hello Yohann! Welcome To The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:08 am

Welcome to The Piazza, folks!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:08 am

Yohann wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Welcome to the Piazza! It's great to have another 13th Age fan join us!

Yohann
Goblin

Post by Yohann » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks Havad, Hugin and Tim
Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:08 am
Welcome to the Piazza! It's great to have another 13th Age fan join us!
Well, I used to log in to the Pelgrane Press forum from time to time, and often have a look at the 13th Age facebook group, but nothing beats a good old forum to keep discussion threads away from social media randomness.

in any case, I'm glad to be here, as a lurker first, and perhaps one day, who knows, as a contributor.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:38 am

Yohann wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 am
I'm glad to be here, as a lurker first, and perhaps one day, who knows, as a contributor.
We're a friendly bunch. Please do ask questions or suggest topics in the 13th Age sub-forum. I'm trying to grow that community, and every post helps. :D

Yohann
Goblin

Post by Yohann » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am

Well, I've just posted something to share my experience on one of the subjects being discussed there. So here goes the lurking mode...

CandiceE
Kobold

Post by CandiceE » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:01 am

Did I never introduce myself?
Hello everyone! What have you got in your pockets? (Now I’m imagining Riddles in the Dark with Tasselhoff and Bilbo...)

I will be popping in from time to time to report on the progress of Krynnsub. Krynnsub is an online translation and subtitling group that is adapting the lyrics of the Russian DragonLance Fan Musical (AKA “The Last Trial” AKA «Последнее Испытание») so that it can be sung in English! I’ve been leading the project for 4 years now and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

My favorite character in DragonLance is innocent heroic Tas and my favorite series is the War of the Souls trilogy. The best part of DragonLance in my opinion is the blurring of good and evil.

See you around!

-Candice

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 am

CandiceE wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:01 am
Did I never introduce myself?
Hello everyone! What have you got in your pockets? (Now I’m imagining Riddles in the Dark with Tasselhoff and Bilbo...)

I will be popping in from time to time to report on the progress of Krynnsub. Krynnsub is an online translation and subtitling group that is adapting the lyrics of the Russian DragonLance Fan Musical (AKA “The Last Trial” AKA «Последнее Испытание») so that it can be sung in English! I’ve been leading the project for 4 years now and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

My favorite character in DragonLance is innocent heroic Tas and my favorite series is the War of the Souls trilogy. The best part of DragonLance in my opinion is the blurring of good and evil.

See you around!

-Candice
Hi Candice,

There is a lot of folks interested in Dragon Lance here who I bet would love to see the lyrics when they are ready.
Welcome.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Good to have you here Candice! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Welcome to The Piazza, Candice!

topramesk
Kobold

Post by topramesk » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi, I'm Max!
I saw the open invitation on G+ and, I thought: "why not?", and here I am!
I play a bit of everything, but more often than not is either d&d or some iteration of rolemaster.

See you!
I've been living on the edge so long / where the winds of Limbo roar.

Against the Darkmaster: the classic RPG of High Fantasy Adventure

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Welcome aboard, Max! Surely, there is something here you can latch on to and discuss. :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

RegularZac
Kobold

Post by RegularZac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi everyone. I'm Zac and I wrote, produced, and designed Chronica: Age of Exploration. When I'm not writing games, I'm breaking them. I like PF, 5e ,10 candles, and anything else that encourages open role play.
I wrote a book and it's pretty neat. You should look at it and drink plenty of water.

Chronica: Age of Exploration

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:22 am

topramesk wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm
Hi, I'm Max!
I saw the open invitation on G+ and, I thought: "why not?", and here I am! I play a bit of everything, but more often than not is either d&d or some iteration of rolemaster.
Hi, Max. It's great to have you join us. I encourage you to pop into a sub-forum or two that strikes your interest and start a new thread!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:24 am

RegularZac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 pm
Hi everyone. I'm Zac and I wrote, produced, and designed Chronica: Age of Exploration. When I'm not writing games, I'm breaking them. I like PF, 5e ,10 candles, and anything else that encourages open role play.
Welcome, Zac. My favorite game system is 13th Age, which melds some of the d20-based action of 5e or PF with more indie-inspired mechanics that encourage player agency. If you've ever given any thought to who (or what factions) would serve as icons in a 13th Age game, please head over to the 13th Age sub-forum and start a thread.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”