Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Robin
Storm Giant

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:29 am

lookatroopa wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 pm
Heya!

Name's Belial Lyka, and I've sporadically scoured through some of the subforums here for a few years now. ........Since people seem to be bringing locations up, I'm a resident of Groningen, the Netherlands.
Hey welcome
I'm from Groningen too ;P
"Uut Grunn'n" (translation for the other readers from the Groninger Language--NOT dialect= "From Groningen")
"Nait Souzen, moar Deurbroezen"(translation for the other readers from the Groninger Language--NOT dialect= "Don't worry, just go on")
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

sycarion
Goblin

Self-Introduction

Post by sycarion » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Hello everyone,

With the demise of G+ I decided to stop lurking and join. I enjoy the discussions about campaign worlds, particularly ones that look at the history of D&D. DragonDex is my friend, but I've bookmarked several posts here.

I started playing D&D with the Red Box in 1983. Being in the middle of nowhere, getting other materials was difficult. The Sears catalog only had the box sets and the local game store was hit or miss with what they kept in stock. Somehow, though, I ended up with the 1981 Basic Set, the 1981 Expert Set, the Green Box Companion rules, a 1eDMG, a 1e Oriental Adventures, a Greyhawk Box, and the Spelljammer box. With this eclectic mix (and doses of Top Secret, BattleTech, and Centurion Legion), my high school group rotated DMs to come up with our own adventures and worlds.

In college, I found FASERIP, Ars Magica, Champions, and a host of other games, but took a break after my sophomore year from gaming. In 2001, though, I found d20 and made my way back into gaming. Currently, I enjoy Swords & Wizardry and The Black Hack. I am a player (for a change) in a 5e group. I have been working on and refereeing a couple of homebrew worlds for about 12 years now. One of them is inspired by my children's love of dolphins.

I look forward to meeting everyone, especially on the Spelljammer forum. I'm not an expert, but I have every article I could find about alternate spheres (like a sphere based on Space:1899). I also look forward to learning more about Talislanta and other folks' homebrew worlds.

Answers to questions you didn't ask:
  • Sycarion is a word I invented. It is based on the god of the Northwest Wind, Skeiron. That's why my website has the game-icons.net compass pointing to the northwest.
  • I have a tiny publishing credit for my work at NevermetPress. The second project had more of my work, but it was never completed.
  • I have never played 4e.
  • I would love to play FASERIP again, but with no canon characters.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 am

Greets to all the newbs since page 47! It seems that its been that long since I last perused the Intro Yourself Here thread, so its about time I said hello! :mrgreen:

And I guess many of you aren't newbs anymore and I shouldn't call you that. :oops:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

sycarion
Goblin

Post by sycarion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Well, I am technically a newb, so there's one of us. :)

Dakan Mar looks interesting. I haven't caught up yet, but I like the New World feeling of it. It makes me think of the "off the boat" experience of Tékumel in the way that players need to get acclimated to the world.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:33 am

sycarion wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm
Well, I am technically a newb, so there's one of us. :)

Dakan Mar looks interesting. I haven't caught up yet, but I like the New World feeling of it. It makes me think of the "off the boat" experience of Tékumel in the way that players need to get acclimated to the world.
Thanks! :mrgreen:

That's the vibe I was aiming for, with new players. Once players get to know the world around them, their new characters can be 'native' if they wish, or native-born Old Worlders. My players are having a blast in the campaign, and its not too different from a regular setting so far, considering that I'm currently running "Into the Borderlands" with lots of hooks into other versions of the Keep on the Borderlands from other editions as neighboring keeps along the frontier.

The downside is, I don't think a single one of my players have actually read the Player's Guide to Dakan Mar. LOL.

Omaha? I'm in North Platte! :D
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Artikid
Orc

Post by Artikid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi there, old time gamer and new guy for the piazza, you may have seen me around other forums (mostly focusing on OSR gaming).
I occasionally do art for DIY and professional publishers.
Illustrator for hire, my Patreon campaign: https://www.patreon.com/artikid
My online gallery https://artikid.deviantart.com

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 am

You are Most Welcome here, Artikid! Your artwork is FANTASTIC! :cool:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am

Artikid wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 pm
Hi there, old time gamer and new guy for the piazza, you may have seen me around other forums (mostly focusing on OSR gaming).
Welcome to The Piazza Artikid!

If you want to, you could add a link to your art in your signature file. I have seen some of your work at RPG.net and I have to agree with Dread Delgath. Great work! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Artikid
Orc

Post by Artikid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks for the warm welcome!

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Artikid wrote:
Your awesome avatar is your work?

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:08 pm

willpell wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:45 pm
Artikid wrote:
Your awesome avatar is your work?
Looks like it is from I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Artikid
Orc

Post by Artikid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:12 pm

No Willpell, I wish it was! Actually it's Erol Otus' work. It graced the cover of AD&D module "Dwellers of the forbidden city"

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Artikid wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:12 pm
No Willpell, I wish it was! Actually it's Erol Otus' work. It graced the cover of AD&D module "Dwellers of the forbidden city"
Well now I managed to spot the link to your art gallery and take a look, and it is comparable in quality for the smaller number of steps that are done. I love the Gug.

Artikid
Orc

Post by Artikid » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:42 pm

willpell wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:49 pm
Well now I managed to spot the link to your art gallery and take a look, and it is comparable in quality for the smaller number of steps that are done. I love the Gug.
Thanks!

sycarion
Goblin

Post by sycarion » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:33 am

That's the vibe I was aiming for, with new players. Once players get to know the world around them, their new characters can be 'native' if they wish, or native-born Old Worlders. My players are having a blast in the campaign, and it's not too different from a regular setting so far, considering that I'm currently running "Into the Borderlands" with lots of hooks into other versions of the Keep on the Borderlands from other editions as neighboring keeps along the frontier.

The downside is, I don't think a single one of my players has actually read the Player's Guide to Dakan Mar. LOL.

Omaha? I'm in North Platte! :D
The campaign I'm working on for later this year has a similar feel. The setting has no elves, dwarves, halflings, or elementals. Players can use bog-standard characters and start on an island full of refugees magically transported to the other side of the planet, or they can start as native in a large city.

Keep on the Borderlands idea is awesome. My D&D growing up was a mix of Moldvay, the C in BECMI, 1e, Spelljammer, Top Secret, and BattleTech.
I like using other versions as neighboring keeps.

North Platte, eh? If you're ever in town, look me up. I'm off I-680.

Ashelar
Kobold

Post by Ashelar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:26 am

Hi everyone :)

My name is Johnny, i love fantasy and read alot of fantasy novels and books when i was a kid, i read/played many Fighting fantasy and similar books, went on to read many D&D novels, and i had heard about D&D but never had the chance to play it until i meet now a friend that introduced me to AD&D 2nd and showed me the light :D that was in 2001, and ever since i bin hooked on roleplaying game.

I also like scifi, comic's and i love anime and watch alot of anime and just adore kawaii anime chars hehe.
I play my fare share of games (I have played alot of NWN 1-2 multiplayer mostly 1, and still play em once in a while) I play some shooter games but tend to play MMORPG, and the last 2 years thats mainly bin Black Desert Online.

Since i got hooked on roleplaying game i mostly played and Dm D&D 3.5, but have played AD&D 2nd, 3.0 and tried vampire and a few others, and made my own world.
Read many source books and materials and alot of novels mostly to Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and the planes, but i know some about Greyhawk and other setting i read about to, and i am in generel open for most type of games, as i find most things interesting, my biggest flaw if i coud i woud have 30 diffrent hobbies hehe

I run a campaign on roll20 thats bin going on for a little over a year, its set in the Forgotten Realms, with base in Vaasa in the year 1379 currently.

I discovered The Piazza a few day's ago and the reason i came here and on the forum was because of a post Havard had made, then discovered all the forums treads and thought woud be nice to be here and talk and look around, but also since i want to try talk to Havard about and idear i have to try make a Elfquest setting/supplement for 3.5 and 5e.

i think that was the basic hehe, im trying to keep it short as i tend to write a novel, if anyone got a quest feel free to ask away :)

With greetings Johnny

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Ashelar wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:26 am
Howdy! Welcome to the board
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Ashelar wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:26 am

... the reason i came here and on the forum was because of a post Havard had made...
Yeah, I blame a lot of stuff on Havard, as well. ;)

Welcome aboard, Johnny!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Ashelar
Kobold

Post by Ashelar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:22 am

thank you :)

sounds like i need to be carefull hehe ;)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Ashelar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:22 am
thank you :)

sounds like i need to be carefull hehe ;)
Good to see you here Ashelar! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashelar
Kobold

Post by Ashelar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 pm

Thank you :) do you use the discord server Havard?

SosTheRope
Kobold

Post by SosTheRope » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi all, I came here on the recommendation of #rpglifeuk on twitter, I'm a UK bloke finally discovering the wonderful UK RPG scene only after having moved to Germany (d'oh). Due to massive time committments, I'm seeking a very relaxed Skype D&D game with potential to develop.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm

SosTheRope wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:11 pm
Hi all, I came here on the recommendation of #rpglifeuk on twitter, I'm a UK bloke finally discovering the wonderful UK RPG scene only after having moved to Germany (d'oh). Due to massive time committments, I'm seeking a very relaxed Skype D&D game with potential to develop.
Welcome to the board!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Ashelar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 pm
Thank you :) do you use the discord server Havard?
I do, but not regularly I'm afraid...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 pm

SosTheRope wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Welcome to the boards SosTheRope! :)

I see you have already found the Magic Mirror :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”