Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
blindluke
Goblin

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by blindluke »

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:06 pm
Welcome blindluke! C&C, DCC, LL & S&W are great when players can't get ahold of the originals!
In my book, they're great even if they have the originals. I'm not much of a sentimental person. I liked the writing and organization of Labyrinth Lord better than the B/X booklets, and even though the book was heavily used, I had no regrets giving it away when I received a brand new copy of the Old School Essentials book last year. It's all the same rules, but cleaner, better looking, with less worn pages. It's like buying a new lawnmower every ten years.

If you liked Star Frontiers, FrontierSpace is a love letter to the game. The rules are different, still percentile, but less fiddly, the square grid is replaced by hexes (and there's no board and chits in the book), but the feel is the same.

Thousand Suns has a similar story - it's Classic Traveller, with improved mechanical chassis. The 2d6 core has been replaced by a 2d12 system operating on the same basis, but with more granularity. The game has no setting, but an implied metasetting - a set of assumptions about the setting that it makes and that should be true. Of course, those requirements are satisfied by Traveller's Third Imperium, so you can use it as an engine to power Traveller campaigns. There are little bits about this one that I adore, like the book being full of classical quotes, from Asimov, Bester, Doc Smith. And the fact that Esperanto is the language of the empire.

That little OD&D Barsoom booklet is a thing of beauty. Same goes for Jason Vey's Age of Conan. The abstract nature of OD&D fits well with pulp sensibilities.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

blindluke wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:06 pm
Welcome blindluke! C&C, DCC, LL & S&W are great when players can't get ahold of the originals!
In my book, they're great even if they have the originals. I'm not much of a sentimental person. I liked the writing and organization of Labyrinth Lord better than the B/X booklets, and even though the book was heavily used, I had no regrets giving it away when I received a brand new copy of the Old School Essentials book last year. It's all the same rules, but cleaner, better looking, with less worn pages. It's like buying a new lawnmower every ten years.

If you liked Star Frontiers, FrontierSpace is a love letter to the game. The rules are different, still percentile, but less fiddly, the square grid is replaced by hexes (and there's no board and chits in the book), but the feel is the same.

Thousand Suns has a similar story - it's Classic Traveller, with improved mechanical chassis. The 2d6 core has been replaced by a 2d12 system operating on the same basis, but with more granularity. The game has no setting, but an implied metasetting - a set of assumptions about the setting that it makes and that should be true. Of course, those requirements are satisfied by Traveller's Third Imperium, so you can use it as an engine to power Traveller campaigns. There are little bits about this one that I adore, like the book being full of classical quotes, from Asimov, Bester, Doc Smith. And the fact that Esperanto is the language of the empire.

That little OD&D Barsoom booklet is a thing of beauty. Same goes for Jason Vey's Age of Conan. The abstract nature of OD&D fits well with pulp sensibilities.
Welcome!

I have to look at Thousands Suns now that you mentioned it.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Welcome to the Piazza, blindluke. I hope to interact more in the future. Perhaps I'll see some posts from you in the C&C forum.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Welcome to The Piazza, blindluke! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Welcome blindluke!

Teitan
Kobold

Post by Teitan »

Hey, just wanted to drop in a hello! I’m Jason and I’ve been playing D&D since 1988 and started with the LBB and a 1e PHB! Favorite edition was 3.0 with 5e tied. Wanted to hang out after occasionally lurking for a few years!

rredmond
Bugbear

Post by rredmond »

Welcome Jason! Hope you enjoy the place! :)
--Ron--

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

blindluke wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:23 pm
Hello.

I'm Luke.
Hi Luke
blindluke wrote:
Something more grounded and historical - I use Mythras, falling back to OpenQuest, depending on the players. Or the other way around - OQ, with bits of Mythras added as needed.
I love Mythras especially Mythic Britain but I worry that it's too crunchy for my current player and have not brought it to the table yet.
blindluke wrote:
Systems and settings I would love to use more? The One Ring, John Carter of Mars, Servants of Gaius. All of those require players invested in the setting, and I don't have enough of such players at my disposal. ...
The One Ring and John Carter are very high on my to do list too! I ran a session of the playlets version of John Carter and it was well reviewed http://gamesvsplay.com/john-carter-rpg- ... ay-review/
blindluke wrote:
Not many people want me to run stuff heavily grounded in literary sources. It's a shame, considering that's the thing I love the most.
I hear you, I'm the author of Gulliver's Trading Company that's been stuck in beta soooo long due to lack of play testers.

Anyway, if there is anything you want to talk about great. There is even and 'Other Worlds" sub-forum for worlds that haven't got their own.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

nikgervae
Hobgoblin

Hello from San Francisco

Post by nikgervae »

Hello! I'm Nik and I live in San Francisco. I generally prefer more story/character focused games, or those with lighter rules. I was in a D&D 4e campaign a few years back, though. These days I prefer Fate's freeform aspect creation, or PbtA's minimalist picks off a brief list or two. That said, Fading Suns is one of the settings I've most wanted to play in and I'm seriously tempted by its upcoming revival.

I just started with a regular Torg group. I couldn't resist; even though it's pretty crunchy, it's such a wonderful mishmash I had to give it a go. I'll probably be spending most of my time here on the Torg board. See you there.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Teitan wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:22 pm
Hey, just wanted to drop in a hello! I’m Jason and I’ve been playing D&D since 1988 and started with the LBB and a 1e PHB! Favorite edition was 3.0 with 5e tied. Wanted to hang out after occasionally lurking for a few years!
Hello Jason!

Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Hello from San Francisco

Post by Havard »

nikgervae wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 am
Hello! I'm Nik and I live in San Francisco. I generally prefer more story/character focused games, or those with lighter rules. I was in a D&D 4e campaign a few years back, though. These days I prefer Fate's freeform aspect creation, or PbtA's minimalist picks off a brief list or two. That said, Fading Suns is one of the settings I've most wanted to play in and I'm seriously tempted by its upcoming revival.

I just started with a regular Torg group. I couldn't resist; even though it's pretty crunchy, it's such a wonderful mishmash I had to give it a go. I'll probably be spending most of my time here on the Torg board. See you there.
Hello Nik! Welcome to The Piazza!

I am for the most part a D&D (Blackmoor and Mystara) fan, but I also like Fading Suns and TORG so I see we have this in common!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

nikgervae wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 am
Hello! I'm Nik and I live in San Francisco. I generally prefer more story/character focused games, or those with lighter rules. I was in a D&D 4e campaign a few years back, though. These days I prefer Fate's freeform aspect creation, ...
G’day Nik.
If you can find one check out Legends of Anglere my favourite iteration of FATE. Diaspora (FATE for hard sf is also good)
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

nikgervae
Hobgoblin

Post by nikgervae »

Coronoides wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am
G’day Nik.
If you can find one check out Legends of Anglere my favourite iteration of FATE. Diaspora (FATE for hard sf is also good)
I bought Diaspora when it came out. I haven't seen any groups doing it around here, but in this world of VTT, around here is now a lot bigger!

Legends of Anglere appears to be very much out of print. Even the publisher isn't offering it, in any format.

peelseel2
Kobold

Post by peelseel2 »

Hola! I am Scott from Wayne, NE. Played D&D and various other systems since 1982. 98% of my RPG gaming has been spent as a GM.

rredmond
Bugbear

Post by rredmond »

Welcome, welcome Scott. I recognize your username!!
--Ron--

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

peelseel2 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:10 pm
Hola! I am Scott from Wayne, NE. Played D&D and various other systems since 1982. 98% of my RPG gaming has been spent as a GM.
Hi Scott. Welcome to the Piazza! Are you happy with your GM-to-player ratio? Just curious if this is by design, or circumstances.

Regardless, it's great to have you join us. What game/edition do you play most often these days? Do you have a favorite setting to run your games in?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

peelseel2 wrote:
If you want more time as a player but are busy you could join a play by post here at The Crystal Globe. May I suggest my Gamma World 4th edition game? 😉

Rod Collins
Orc

Post by Rod Collins »

Greetings. I’m Rod Collins of no fame whatsoever This is my first rpg forum to join. But it’s THE place discuss Maztica. I’ve been playing since ADnD. Now, I am running a homebrew mix match of Maztica, Ixalan and To Kill a Mockingbird, with maybe a little Scarlet Letter thrown in for my three children. Of course they love dinosaurs and vampires, halflings with hishna magic, noble Mesoamericans Natives with feather magic, pirates and green folk. Meanwhile I am writing a more Maztica setting specific campaign based on the those sessions and the marvelous work of Piazza collaborators writing for 5e. Here is the place to be. Maztica is Alive!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Rod Collins wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 am
Greetings. I’m Rod Collins of no fame whatsoever This is my first rpg forum to join. But it’s THE place discuss Maztica.
Welcome to the Piazza, Rod. It's good to have you join us. It's always cool to see more interest in one of the lesser-known settings. I hope you enjoy the discussion. :)

rredmond
Bugbear

Post by rredmond »

Love your energy and enthusiasm Rod! Welcome and enjoy!!
--Ron--

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

peelseel2 wrote:
Hello Scott! Welcome to to The Piazza!

What games are you interested in these days?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Rod Collins wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 am
Greetings. I’m Rod Collins of no fame whatsoever This is my first rpg forum to join. But it’s THE place discuss Maztica. I’ve been playing since ADnD. Now, I am running a homebrew mix match of Maztica, Ixalan and To Kill a Mockingbird, with maybe a little Scarlet Letter thrown in for my three children. Of course they love dinosaurs and vampires, halflings with hishna magic, noble Mesoamericans Natives with feather magic, pirates and green folk. Meanwhile I am writing a more Maztica setting specific campaign based on the those sessions and the marvelous work of Piazza collaborators writing for 5e. Here is the place to be. Maztica is Alive!

Hello Rod!
Welcome to The Piazza and congratulations for signing up to your first forum! This reminds me to visit the Maztica section more often! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

Didn’t see this thread the last few times I stopped by, but now is as good a time as ever to say hello to everybody. I’m Henry. Started D&D at the very end of 2E when my friends and I pooled and saved our spare change to get some of the core books from eBay someone was probably flipping to buy into 3E. From then on it was a dive into the various settings. Wished I picked up more physical copies back then, especially the long out of print stuff.

A big fan of the Forgotten Realms, Planescape, most of the old TSR settings really. Have been following other settings as the time allows. Originally came here when the Open Design forums closed and shortly after I heard rumors there was discussion on Midgard here, my minuscule gaming contributions include a handful of additions and write ups for said serpent coiled world. Very pleased to find there are so many other settings mentioned here.

My favorite part of this forum is reading about some of the detective work you guys do to dig up settings or pieces of lore, old or new, obscure or otherwise. I think this place single-handedly got me to explore Spelljammer and Mystara more, settings I otherwise would have missed because I started gaming after their publication. I also think the energy of this place cause me to pick up a whole big lot of old Scarred Lands books. Still working my way through them.

peelseel2
Kobold

Post by peelseel2 »

rredmond wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:54 pm
Welcome, welcome Scott. I recognize your username!!
--Ron--
I recognize yours from other forums! Thanks for the welcome.
Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:22 am
Hi Scott. Welcome to the Piazza! Are you happy with your GM-to-player ratio? Just curious if this is by design, or circumstances.

Regardless, it's great to have you join us. What game/edition do you play most often these days? Do you have a favorite setting to run your games in?
I am very happy with my time as a DM. I get more enjoyment out of it. Most recently I am playing OD&D with the 3 LBB's. Favorite setting (right now) is Greyhawk circa 576. Nothing but the Folio for a start.
Coronoides wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:05 am
If you want more time as a player but are busy you could join a play by post here at The Crystal Globe. May I suggest my Gamma World 4th edition game? 😉
Thank you for the offer! I wish I had time for (more) gaming!
Havard wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:04 pm
Hello Scott! Welcome to to The Piazza!

What games are you interested in these days?

-Havard
OD&D is the flavor of the year. I have never played it before. Every edition except for it.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Isuru wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 am
Originally came here when the Open Design forums closed and shortly after I heard rumors there was discussion on Midgard here, my minuscule gaming contributions include a handful of additions and write ups for said serpent coiled world. Very pleased to find there are so many other settings mentioned here.
Welcome, Henry! It's always great to meet another Kobold Press fan. I'm a moderator on the KP & Midgard group on Facebook, and regularly convert Midgard adventures into my favorite system (13th Age) for my groups. It's great to meet one of the fortunate folks who were able to contribute to those early Open Design books. I'm bummed I wasn't into RPGs at that time and missed out on the opportunity. Someday, I hope to have the opportunity to check out the early products that were exclusive to the OD patrons.

I look forward to future discussions with you.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”