Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Delazar78
Orc

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Delazar78 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Hallo!

Real name's Fausto, born and lived in Italy till 22, now 35 yo and living and working in Belgium.

Started RPing with DnD red box, then tried all the various edition. Mixed it all with several other RPGs, Call of Chtulhu, Stormbringer, Cyberpunk, MERP, Warhammer, Dark Heresy, and many others.

Put a few friends around the table, give me a char sheet, and I'll play it!

Cheers

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Benvenuto e benincontrato! / Welcome and well met!

G.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Welcome to The Piazza, Fausto!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Classicdnd wrote:It feels a bit weird for me to introduce myself considering I've been a member since 2009. It's fair to say I've mostly been a lurker here at The Piazza.
I've seen you mention The Piazza elsewhere, so that is probably slightly different from lurking.
Classicdnd wrote:I've been into D&D since the late '80s. Like Havard (and many others) I also started on Frank's ol' Red Box, but I also got into AD&D and other RPGs, such as Rolemaster, MERP and Star Wars (WEG) etc. But Classic D&D has always remained my 'first love', as might be guessed from my user name. I'm also a big fan of Taladas, as might also be guessed from my avatar (kudos if you recognised the image as a Scorned Dwarf shield).
I missed my Taladas-fu check there. :oops: Hopefully you will delurk a bit more in the Taladas and Otherlands forum and help me learn about Scorned Dwarves and other things.

Have you ever retro-converted anything from Taladas (or other AD&D settings/subsettings) to Classic D&D? (I like to use 3rd Edition for myself, but I really like the idea of settings being accessible to everyone, so would love to see Classic fans working to make more campaign settings work with the Classic D&D rules.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

DMStue
Kobold

Post by DMStue » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:44 am

Hello folks, it's great to be here ....

Recipe:-
Add one bloke form deepest, darkest Yorkshire, gods own county, in merry England. Mix in 1 Wife & 2 Daughters, Add 1 cup of Sci-Fi, Add 3 cups of Fantasy, Decorate with RPG's/ Boardgames & Wargames to taste, Garnish with liberal helpings of PC Games & Films.

I started my history in RPG with the D&D red box in 1985. Throughout college I ran an ongoing campaign in my Homebrew / modified "Known World" setting. Our group had ample time and an ideal location for RPGs and we learned from our mistakes. I became well acquainted with Monty Haul.

Throughout these years I made firm friends, and together we branched out into other editions and settings. Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun, The Forgotten Realms ... the list grew and grew. We son branched out into other systems, Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller .... Even Ghostbusters and Toon! .... Our appetite was insatiable.

After college, when real life hit, our gaming continued at a more modest pace. A wife and all the responsibilities of being a married, employed, adult tax payer in the UK really eat into your gaming time! ;)

But the appetite remains the same.

At work in Leeds, I chair a small gaming club - you can find us on Facebook under "Hassra Leeds Wargaming Club" - we can always use new friends (especially fellow RPG'ers with impeccable taste such as you! ;) ). We RPG, we board-game, we wargame .... whatever takes the edge off and scratches the itch.

Recently however, I have discovered the thriving old school movement and my desire to RPG has rekindled. Searching the interwebs and reading Imagine Magazine brought me to the world of Pelinore, and from there to here.

I'm looking forward to digging into the forums ... Thank you for having me.

DMStue.
Please like our club on Facebook. Search for "Hassra Leeds Wargames Club" and you will find us.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Stue, Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Welcome Stu!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm

DMStue wrote:I started my history in RPG with the D&D red box in 1985. Throughout college I ran an ongoing campaign in my Homebrew / modified "Known World" setting. Our group had ample time and an ideal location for RPGs and we learned from our mistakes. I became well acquainted with Monty Haul.

Throughout these years I made firm friends, and together we branched out into other editions and settings. Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun, The Forgotten Realms ... the list grew and grew.
Anything starting with "S" in there? ;)
DMStue wrote:I chair a small gaming club - you can find us on Facebook under "Hassra Leeds Wargaming Club" - we can always use new friends (especially fellow RPG'ers with impeccable taste such as you! ;) ). We RPG, we board-game, we wargame .... whatever takes the edge off and scratches the itch.
Why don't you put a link into your signature (instead of just putting the name of your club and getting people to search for it on Google)? (Forum signatures work with the same BB code that works in posts. So if you are struggling, just add add the link to your above post and then copy and paste that text block over into your signature.)

There is also a special forum at The Piazza, called The Magic Mirror, where people can post threads looking for gamers. Perhaps you should post a thread about Hassra Leeds Wargaming Club there.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Black Jack Rackham
Orc

Post by Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 am

Hmm always interesting to see how others introduce themselves, and wonder to myself if what I first write here will have any influence on how others see me in the future.

So Basic Facts
I am a Husband, Daddy (x3), Writer, GM, Storyteller, and Psychotherapist (but not always in that order)

I have written just enough that you may have played/read something I wrote (or wrote in) even though you probably don't realize I wrote it. I am working on becoming a professional writer but that's going far more slowly than pestering/begging certain RPG companies to let me write for them (though I am not ashamed to admit that I still do that).

I can actually remember the DAY that I began gaming (Sept 1, 1979) because it was my 12th birthday and I convinced my mom to buy me the Basic Boxed Set, AD&D Players Guide, and Dungeon Master's Guide (she balked at the Monster Manual but eventually gave in with the understanding I would share it with my little brother. I still have all of them, and my brother's name is still written (along with mine) in the MM). I was, of course, under the mistaken belief that BBS and AD&D were the same thing...

I am pretty sure I still have the two original d20s that came with the BBS (White and Pink, and yes they are really spheres now more than Icosahedrons*)

Prior to my first post here (August 26th, 2013) I had not read or run any D&D since the week that 3.0 came out (I am not saying that I didn't like 3.0, just that our DM at the time was a railroady sort who was soon out of our group and we didn't pick it up again until just now).

My sentimental favorite D&D setting is Greyhawk (because, hey, lets be honest, for a guy as old as me, there WASN'T any other setting). But the one I like the best is Forgotten Realms (cause, again, lets be honest with ourselves, we all read Icewind Dale, et. al. and loved them**).

My absolute favorite game ever is 7th Sea (despite it's wonky mechanics and insane power curve). I've written dozens of campaigns and several fansub PDFs which can be found lurking in the dark corners of the internet. I am also currently running a 7th Sea Living Campaign (at all the big cons) called Heroes of Altamira.

I GM almost exclusively for both my home group, my FLGS group and at all the con's I attend. And in case you're curious, yes I use my psychological training to mess with my players (I am an evil, Evil, EVIL man). My thinking about this is, a player can always fight "stats" with "stats" but they can never have enough dice to protect them from psychological torture.

The rest you'll learn as we go along (should you find you care enough to ask ;))

Mark

*full disclosure I had to google the geometric term for a d20.
**...Until, "They got too mainstream", "We discovered that Salvatore was NEVER going to stop writing them (even when he didn't have any ideas to go with the characters)" or, "Every fanboi we ever met had to have their own version of Drizzt and/or Wulfgar."
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
Friedrich Nietzsche

M. Shadowleaf
Kobold

Post by M. Shadowleaf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello! My real name is Dan Reeder. I used this handle (M. or Morphius Shadowleaf) for many years on WotC's multitude of various forums, a few others and on the legendary Vaults of Pandius (hi stanles, Håvard :P ). I have been a hardcore gamer since around 1980 with AD&D. I have enjoyed, played and DM/GMed many different games all over the West Coast from Anchorage to Tucson. AD&D, 2E-3E, Thieves World, Mech Warrior/Battle Tech, Travellers, Gamma World, Star Frontiers and Car Wars are a few of my favorites. I have been lucky enough to occasionally work with a few great people & small publishers, doing short freelancing gigs off and on over the years. (mainly 3D modeling/rendering & cartography) I love gaming in general as well as the people. Even after 30+ years I find myself drawn back to these familiar haunts time and time again. The World of Greyhawk and especially Mystara in particular, hold a special place for me. I have been lurking the Piazza for a few years and it feels good to finally make the jump. I am just super glad to be amongst fellow gamers.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Hmm always interesting to see how others introduce themselves, and wonder to myself if what I first write here will have any influence on how others see me in the future.
Hey Mark!
Great to have you on board! I am a fan of 7th Sea too by the way. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:11 pm

M. Shadowleaf wrote:Hello! My real name is Dan Reeder. I used this handle (M. or Morphius Shadowleaf) for many years on WotC's multitude of various forums, a few others and on the legendary Vaults of Pandius (hi stanles, Håvard :P ). I have been a hardcore gamer since around 1980 with AD&D. I have enjoyed, played and DM/GMed many different games all over the West Coast from Anchorage to Tucson. AD&D, 2E-3E, Thieves World, Mech Warrior/Battle Tech, Travellers, Gamma World, Star Frontiers and Car Wars are a few of my favorites. I have been lucky enough to occasionally work with a few great people & small publishers, doing short freelancing gigs off and on over the years. (mainly 3D modeling/rendering & cartography) I love gaming in general as well as the people. Even after 30+ years I find myself drawn back to these familiar haunts time and time again. The World of Greyhawk and especially Mystara in particular, hold a special place for me. I have been lurking the Piazza for a few years and it feels good to finally make the jump. I am just super glad to be amongst fellow gamers.
Hey Dan, glad you finally made it here :)

Always good to have another Mystara-fan around :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

M. Shadowleaf
Kobold

Post by M. Shadowleaf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Thank you sir. :geek:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:So Basic Facts
I am a Husband, Daddy (x3), Writer, GM, Storyteller, and Psychotherapist (but not always in that order)
Welcome to The Piazza Mark! So you are a level 3 Daddy, but you only two one level in each of the other five character classes. Sounds like you just dabbled in Psychotherapist to get the backstab bonus! :P
Black Jack Rackham wrote:I have written just enough that you may have played/read something I wrote (or wrote in) even though you probably don't realize I wrote it. I am working on becoming a professional writer but that's going far more slowly than pestering/begging certain RPG companies to let me write for them (though I am not ashamed to admit that I still do that).
OK, I accept your challenge, Mark. Point me at a list of products you worked on and I'll check to see if I've read any of them yet. ;)

Better still, you can earn yourself a place in Havard's Celebrities on The Piazza thread. :)
Black Jack Rackham wrote:Prior to my first post here (August 26th, 2013) I had not read or run any D&D since the week that 3.0 came out (I am not saying that I didn't like 3.0, just that our DM at the time was a railroady sort who was soon out of our group and we didn't pick it up again until just now).
I actually didn't like 3.0 when I first played it. After gnashing my teeth about the fact that the ability checks were swapped out for a system where abilities bought you a bonus to a d20 System roll instead, I finally came around and started liking the system. 3e is my favourite system now (although I much prefer settings over rules).
Black Jack Rackham wrote:My sentimental favorite D&D setting is Greyhawk (because, hey, lets be honest, for a guy as old as me, there WASN'T any other setting).
How about Blackmoor? Or Mystara? Or (and we don't have a forum for this yet - I'm not sure why) Tekumel (aka Empire of the Petal Throne)? They were all around at that time. I think that Wilderlands was around then too.

Anyhoo, I really like Greyhawk, although it has been a bit harder for me to get into Greyhawk than some other campaign settings I like. Greyhawk is popular at The Piazza. It is the fourth most popular campaign setting here.

I was really amazed to find out it had a sub-setting called Chainmail (aka the Sundered Empire) for 3e D&D. I've been talking to some GH experts about that over in a few "[Chainmail]" threads in the Greyhawk forum. I'm hoping that we get a Chainmail subforum at some point.
Black Jack Rackham wrote:But the one I like the best is Forgotten Realms (cause, again, lets be honest with ourselves, we all read Icewind Dale, et. al. and loved them**).
I really like Forgotten Realms too. Along with Greyhawk and Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms hovers around my "second most favourite campaign setting" spot. I found FR a bit easier to get into than Greyhawk, but I still have a lot to learn about it. I've not read Icewind Dale yet. I might read it one day. Forgotten Realms is also popular at The Piazza. It has the third most busy campaign setting forum.

I like the Forgotten Realms sub-settings. It has more of those than Greyhawk does. The FR sub-settings are fairly popular at The Piazza too.
Black Jack Rackham wrote:My absolute favorite game ever is 7th Sea (despite it's wonky mechanics and insane power curve). I've written dozens of campaigns and several fansub PDFs which can be found lurking in the dark corners of the internet. I am also currently running a 7th Sea Living Campaign (at all the big cons) called Heroes of Altamira.
We don't have a 7th Sea subforum yet and there are only two threads for the setting so far. But maybe if you start one or two threads about the setting (or the system) you could educate the rest of us. I'd personally be more intersted in the setting aspect (as I find settings more interesting than rules) but other people here like rules.

Anyhoo, you can talk about any setting, that does not have a bespoke forum, in the "Other Worlds" forum and any set of RPG rules, that does not have a bespoke forum, in The Crunch Bits forum. There are a couple of exceptions to that policy, but if you post something in the wrong place, a moderator will move the thread.
Black Jack Rackham wrote:I GM almost exclusively for both my home group, my FLGS group and at all the con's I attend. And in case you're curious, yes I use my psychological training to mess with my players (I am an evil, Evil, EVIL man). My thinking about this is, a player can always fight "stats" with "stats" but they can never have enough dice to protect them from psychological torture.
Save vs GM perhaps?
Black Jack Rackham wrote:The rest you'll learn as we go along (should you find you care enough to ask ;))
I'm sure I'll be intersted in some of the same things as you. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 am

M. Shadowleaf wrote:Hello! My real name is Dan Reeder. I used this handle (M. or Morphius Shadowleaf) for many years on WotC's multitude of various forums, a few others and on the legendary Vaults of Pandius (hi stanles, Håvard :P ). I have been a hardcore gamer since around 1980 with AD&D. I have enjoyed, played and DM/GMed many different games all over the West Coast from Anchorage to Tucson. AD&D, 2E-3E, Thieves World, Mech Warrior/Battle Tech, Travellers, Gamma World, Star Frontiers and Car Wars are a few of my favorites. I have been lucky enough to occasionally work with a few great people & small publishers, doing short freelancing gigs off and on over the years. (mainly 3D modeling/rendering & cartography) I love gaming in general as well as the people. Even after 30+ years I find myself drawn back to these familiar haunts time and time again. The World of Greyhawk and especially Mystara in particular, hold a special place for me. I have been lurking the Piazza for a few years and it feels good to finally make the jump. I am just super glad to be amongst fellow gamers.
Welcome to The Piazza Dan.

We have forums for a lot of the things you are interested in, but now you have de-lurked maybe you could help build some threads for some of the ones that do not yet have their own forums. :)

If you have lurked here for that amount of time, you probably already know where to post things that are about subjects there are not forums for, but feel free to ask.

There is a guy here called Silverblade that does a lot of 3D rendering. He has done a lot of fan art for Spelljammer and also for Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun. You might have seen some of his art posted here.

Classicdnd
Hobgoblin

Post by Classicdnd » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome Classicdnd. I recognize you from DF. It is good to see names you recognize, although I doubt you'll recognize mine here. (Bobjester) :mrgreen:

I mostly lurk here, too, although I can be a noisy lurker. :oops:
Nice to see you here BJ ... er, DD! :) There’s a few Dragonsfooters about in these parts ... some, no doubt, are escapees from the occassional outbreaks of The Grog Wars ...
Image Image

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:01 am

Wars over watered down rum?
Someone better fight those heretics who water down their rum!!!

;)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

rredmond
Gnoll

Post by rredmond » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Classicdnd wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:Welcome Classicdnd. I recognize you from DF. It is good to see names you recognize, although I doubt you'll recognize mine here. (Bobjester) :mrgreen:

Nice to see you here BJ ... er, DD! :) There’s a few Dragonsfooters about in these parts ... some, no doubt, are escapees from the occassional outbreaks of The Grog Wars ...
Ack, y'all let BobJester in???? :)
I thought I said hi here, but apparently not.

Urm, hi!
--Ron--

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 am

Classicdnd wrote:

There are a few...what do we call people at The Piazza?...who hang out at Dragonsfoot too. There are some good people over there. :)

I mostly lurk over there (although I seem to have a higher Dragonsfoot post count than your Piazza post count. ;)

What amazes me is Havard, who has a big post count here...and a big post count there...and also a healthy post count in a number of other forums. If I had not actually met him, I would be convinced he was a franchise operation! :shock:
rredmond wrote:
Classicdnd wrote:

Ack, y'all let BobJester in???? :)
I thought I said hi here, but apparently not.

Urm, hi!
--Ron--
I sometimes forget who people are in other forums. :oops:

I'm mostly "Big Mac", but sometimes I'm "bigmac" or big_mac" or some similar variation.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 am

Big Mac wrote:There are a few...what do we call people at The Piazza?
Piazzans? :)
What amazes me is Havard, who has a big post count here...and a big post count there...and also a healthy post count in a number of other forums. If I had not actually met him, I would be convinced he was a franchise operation! :shock:
There are so many good forums out there. I think they all have different flavours or atmospheres, so its worth visiting multiple ones. Sometimes ideas spawned in one forum can take a different direction if brought up in another.

And yeah, that time in London was great fun. We should do that again. Maybe bring dice and character sheets :)
I sometimes forget who people are in other forums. :oops:

I'm mostly "Big Mac", but sometimes I'm "bigmac" or big_mac" or some similar variation.
In France you are known as "Le Big Mac"?

:mrgreen:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Classicdnd
Hobgoblin

Post by Classicdnd » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:...what do we call people at The Piazza?
Piazzi? Piazzish? Piazzers? Piazzien? ;)
Image Image

rredmond
Gnoll

Post by rredmond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Pizzas?

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 pm

If we want to do it the Italian way (for those who are "Itali-ano") shouldn't it be, that a member is a "Piazz-ano"'?
Or maybe Piazz-ico (masculin, singular) or plural Piazz-ici?

For english speakers it might all be one and the same "Pizza"?!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 am

Piazzite/piazzites
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Nevermore
Hobgoblin

Post by Nevermore » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:52 am

Hello to everyone, I'm Alessio 22 years old from Tuscany in Italy. I've been playing tabletop roleplaying games since I was thirteen. Now I'm playing with my usual gaming group the Pathfinder RPG while designing my own fantasy campaign world called Verhaden.

I'm happy to have signed up on this board. :)

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”