Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21702
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Havard »

Sharkbelly wrote:Hello all! I just joined the board last week. I'm a long time (25+ years) gamer who started with D&D and eventually played lots of other games and got into Warhammer. I'm currently working on a Spelljammer campaign and a bunch of model painting.
Ahoy Sharkbelly! Welcome to the family :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
AxesnOrcs
Gnoll
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by AxesnOrcs »

Howdy, I'm Ian, and I run the blog Axes and Orcs. I came over here a few months ago because Big Mac cross-posted my article on Eberron airships and Spelljammer. When I run games, it's generally a derivative of Basic D&D with bits of Advanced and 3e bolted on. I'm currently trapped in that hell that is being an adult whose friends are all adults and thus arranging face to face games is like pulling teeth while running backwards. Additionally, several of my friends are semi-competitive Magic: the Gathering players, which constantly conflicts with when I'd want to run. My current campaign is loosely 16th-17th century our world except for the whole elves and the like and the overly-massive and anachronistically industrialized city of Shardheim. I'm drawing inspiration from Eberron, Golarion, Spelljammer, Mystara, and the Final Fantasy series. I hate kender, most halflings and gnomes, sometimes kobolds, and steampunk.


So this is me saying hey, I'll be here combing through things for stuff.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
https://axesorcs.itch.io/ Where I sell my games in non-physical formats

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21702
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Havard »

AxesnOrcs wrote:Howdy, I'm Ian, and I run the blog Axes and Orcs. I came over here a few months ago because Big Mac cross-posted my article on Eberron airships and Spelljammer. When I run games, it's generally a derivative of Basic D&D with bits of Advanced and 3e bolted on. I'm currently trapped in that hell that is being an adult whose friends are all adults and thus arranging face to face games is like pulling teeth while running backwards. Additionally, several of my friends are semi-competitive Magic: the Gathering players, which constantly conflicts with when I'd want to run. My current campaign is loosely 16th-17th century our world except for the whole elves and the like and the overly-massive and anachronistically industrialized city of Shardheim. I'm drawing inspiration from Eberron, Golarion, Spelljammer, Mystara, and the Final Fantasy series. I hate kender, most halflings and gnomes, sometimes kobolds, and steampunk.


So this is me saying hey, I'll be here combing through things for stuff.
Hello Ian!
Welcome to The Piazza! :)
If you want to, I think you should add a link to your blog in your signature here. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9361
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Princess Strega »

AxesnOrcs wrote:Eberron, Golarion, Spelljammer, Mystara...
Some of my favorite worlds...
AxesnOrcs wrote:I hate kender, most halflings and gnomes, sometimes kobolds, and steampunk.
I feel you on kender, halflings and gnomes. I never could find any reason to like them.
AxesnOrcs wrote:So this is me saying hey, I'll be here combing through things for stuff.
Hey-oh and welcome! :cool:

User avatar
Grim
Orc
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 pm
Gender: male
Location: Canada

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Grim »

Hello, I'm Grim, an old school D&D gamer. Starting with Basic back in the late 80's, I grew to love D&D. After a stint with AD&D 1e,2e,and 3e, I finally fell in love and settled with 3.5e, using smart dungeon mastering to rule out or limit items and rules that cause instant or even gradual "OP"ness. That way there are no "Killer first level Kobalds." My fave character to play is Human Rogue/Ranger named "Thieven Roe-Glothgrim" :P, and usually I run a character while I am DMing.
Now with two kids, I would like to get them into D&D and my plan is to incorporate the "Thunder Rift/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" setting with 3.5(with my own minor tweaks) rules. The campaign, which will be sprawling through a few different worlds through dem. travel, is called "DragonShadow." You guys have been EXTREMELY helpful in this plan. (not to mention my idea only started as Thunder Rift until I came here!)
I do have a few questions regarding some of the Knacker-Knob/The Vale transitions into TR, and I hope I can provide a few good ideas I had, if there are people still doing this project. I am more interested in just the setting, and not so much any conversion to 3.5, although I welcome any ideas, I am just winging that part. As for my "Tweaked 3.5 Rules", I have a Hill Giant s*** pile of cool tweaks, in my opinion would put 4e AND 5e to shame(hope i don't offend :0), I wouldn't know, never had interest after 3.5! lol FOR EXAMPLE: the skills follow the same bonus/penalties as the abilities: ie: level 10(10 ranks) means "journeyman/proficient" with no penalties or bonus. You get automatic journeyman level if it is a class skill. Then spend 2 skill points to raise the skill from 10 to 12, and then you get a +1 to add to your check. Untrained is 0(-5), Apprentice is level 5, Jman 10, expert 15(+2), master 20(+5). Feats give skills automatic apprentice level (5 levels) so, a journeyman acrobatic would be an expert with the acrobatic feat. Anyways, kudos to anybody reaching the bottom of this post...2000 experience and the GP's in the mail!! cheers, GrimShadow.

PS: If somebody could let me know if I should just shoot off my questions on here, or point me in the direction of the best "TR/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" forum
GRIM

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9361
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Princess Strega »

Welcome, Grim!
Grim wrote:My fave character to play is Human Rogue/Ranger named "Thieven Roe-Glothgrim" :P, and usually I run a character while I am DMing.
That sounds like an awesome character, I've never tried that combo before, I may have to give it a whirl. I've heard some arguments against DMPCs, what is experience having played them?

Grim wrote: Now with two kids, I would like to get them into D&D and my plan is to incorporate the "Thunder Rift/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" setting with 3.5(with my own minor tweaks) rules. The campaign, which will be sprawling through a few different worlds through dem. travel, is called "DragonShadow." You guys have been EXTREMELY helpful in this plan. (not to mention my idea only started as Thunder Rift until I came here!)
We have an awesome Mystara community...I've tried to get into the setting, but the history and scope is so vast that I think there are enough other settings to interest me without invest my money in acquiring OOP Mystara titles. It would be nice if WotC made more of the Gazetteers available to buy in POD (Print-On-Demand) format.

Grim wrote:PS: If somebody could let me know if I should just shoot off my questions on here, or point me in the direction of the best "TR/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" forum
We have a Thunder Rift area...I'm not sure if that is what you meant though. We also have a Nentir Vale section, if that answers your question to any degree.

User avatar
Grim
Orc
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 pm
Gender: male
Location: Canada

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Grim »

Thank you, A.R.T, bein DM and playing a character is OK, as long as you have the character's trust that you are not "cheating" but what would you get from that? You might as well just sit by yourself and create an op character, and then for what? These "introducing new players and dm's" moduals and settings like Thunder Rift, takes the work out of the Dming part, and many of the "Fast-Play" adventures and basic to immortal old school modules are set up so you don't even need a DM. Just like a "choose your own adventure" book, except with way more choices of direction. CHEERS!
GRIM

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

EldradWolfsbane wrote:Greeting I am Eldrad Wolfsbane Old School Blogger, game writer, and goblin fighter.

http://backtothedungeon.blogspot.com/
Hi Eldrad Wolfsbane! Thanks for popping over to this topic to say "hi".
EldradWolfsbane wrote:BEEN gaming since 1981 or so. :o

Started with the Moldvay set.

I am 47 and will never stop.
You started before me. I started with 2nd Edition AD&D.

I don't plan on stopping D&D either. :)
EldradWolfsbane wrote:Wrote a NeoClone called Back to the Dungeon RPG also DUNGEONPUNK RPG, Graphic Novel Freeform Superhero RPG, and STARCLADS Simple Sci Fi RPG.

Co wrote the old school simple Without Hope Zombie Survival Horror RPG.

Working on White Trash: Deep Woods RPG.
Nice! Maybe you can compare notes with Blacky the Blackball (who wrote Dark Dungeons and some other RPGs).

Havard will have to add you to his Celebrities on The Piazza list. :)
EldradWolfsbane wrote:I don't mind crunchy rules but I prefer rules light.
I moved from 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition, but I've gotten off of the Edition Treadmill now.

I'm more interested in campaign settings now (and am only interested in systems as an "engine" to facilitate using a setting).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

stebehil wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Welcome back! :)

I had a read of your topic on the Acaeum. It sounds like the flow of D&D might be a bit confusing to anyone living over in Germany, getting different publishers throwing books at them out of sequence.

Did Amigo Spiele's German RPGA publish anything that was not published anywhere else? (Were they the ones to look after Living Greyhawk's German region or did that happen later?)

TSR UK had a campaign setting, called Pelinore. Is there a German D&D campaign setting?
Sorry for not looking into the welcome thread for quite some time now...

Well, if you are interested in collecting german stuff, you need to sort through the various editions and publishers to get an idea of what is what, which is what I tried at the Acaeum. I hope it dispels the confusion somewhat. I think that Amigo were responsible for Living Greyhawk in Germany, as LG started right away, in 2000 IIRC. The german LG homepage is still online, but reduced for some reason. http://www.livinggreyhawk.de/

I am not aware that there were any German campaign settings or even products which were not translated from english originals, at least not anything official. There were a few generic adventures and settings (like Gralfsee and Drachenland) , but nothing D&D specific.
Now it's my turn to apologise for the delay answering. :oops:

Thanks for posting the link to the German Living Greyhawk people. I spotted that website in the past and was massively impressed that they took the time to translate some of their content into English. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

zontoxira wrote:--INTRO--
*taps the mic a few times* Is this working? Good.
Uhh, Hi. I'm Mario and I'm an alcoholic. I fancy red pants and mustache is my fetish-- what, this is not the Happy Alcoholics of Mario Land therapy group? *sound of vinyl record screeching*
...
...
*crickets chirping*
LMAO! :lol:

I know what you mean about the proliferation of rules. I moved from 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition myself, but have not had the time to learn all the rules that have come along afterwards.

Unlike you, I've decided to stick with 3e (rather than move to 5e) but I think I'm a fan of using a tiny number of rulebooks in a game and adding on "special guest rulebooks" to vary the flavour of the core (rather than trying to deal with a ton of options.

I've gotten off of the Edition Treadmill, but do plan to get some 5e books, at some point (for the non-crunchy content).
zontoxira wrote:My favourite campaign settings would be Planescape and Dark Sun, while Forgotten Realms would be my all-time classic. I enjoyed Ravenloft, Mystara, and the whole 'points of light' concept of Nentir Vale (though I never played it), which actually had been (and still is) the core concept for most of my home-brewed settings (I played PoL before it was cool). I occasionally play with my old gaming group, who still roll 2e characters, but my main game is 5e with a group of relatively new players (1+ years of gaming).
My favourite setting is Spelljammer. And I pretty much look at every other campaign setting as "something that might be the central theme of a Spelljammer crystal sphere. :P

I really like Forgotten Realms too (partly it is one of the settings Spelljammer was built around). There is a ton of stuff for FR. I know that people have criticised it for being a bit daunting, but I figure that a GM could run FR with one book (and not bother with the rest of the lore). So I see it as offering a lot of choices to a GM.

I got interested in Nentir Vale before Wizards of the Coast gave it a forum on their (now deleted) Wizards COMmunity Boards/Gleemax website. (And The Piazza actually got a Nentir Vale forum here, before they set up their one over there. It's always been a little bit of a cult, but I think it is really promising. I was sad that they pulled the line of gazetteers that they had planned. I was planning to buy into them.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

Sharkbelly wrote:Hello all! I just joined the board last week. I'm a long time (25+ years) gamer who started with D&D and eventually played lots of other games and got into Warhammer. I'm currently working on a Spelljammer campaign and a bunch of model painting.
Hi Sharkbelly.

Sorry for the delay saying "welcome". It's always great to have another Spelljammer fan to talk to (even though I'm happy to see fans of any other setting as well).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

AxesnOrcs wrote:Howdy, I'm Ian, and I run the blog Axes and Orcs. I came over here a few months ago because Big Mac cross-posted my article on Eberron airships and Spelljammer.
That was a good article. (I'm sure you have other good ones, but that's the one I stumbled onto.)
AxesnOrcs wrote:When I run games, it's generally a derivative of Basic D&D with bits of Advanced and 3e bolted on.
That's an interesting combination. Have you kind of created your own clone rules, or do you use Basic, Advanced and 3e books together?
AxesnOrcs wrote:I'm currently trapped in that hell that is being an adult whose friends are all adults and thus arranging face to face games is like pulling teeth while running backwards. Additionally, several of my friends are semi-competitive Magic: the Gathering players, which constantly conflicts with when I'd want to run.
A lot of my friends have moved out of London, so I don't have a circle of people I can play with without travelling, but I was lucky enough to win a slot in AuldDragon's live streamed Spelljammer game recently. So, I've gone from having no game to having a game that other people can listen to (which is a lot of fun when we all start rolling 1s :lol: ).
AxesnOrcs wrote:My current campaign is loosely 16th-17th century our world except for the whole elves and the like and the overly-massive and anachronistically industrialized city of Shardheim. I'm drawing inspiration from Eberron, Golarion, Spelljammer, Mystara, and the Final Fantasy series. I hate kender, most halflings and gnomes, sometimes kobolds, and steampunk.
Has there ever been a Final Fantasy RPG or are you looking at computer game resources (like fan wikis) to get your inspiration?
AxesnOrcs wrote:So this is me saying hey, I'll be here combing through things for stuff.
I hope you enjoy it here.

I also hope you will occasionally point someone at something you have done that might help them with something they are trying to do. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

Grim wrote:Hello, I'm Grim, an old school D&D gamer. Starting with Basic back in the late 80's, I grew to love D&D. After a stint with AD&D 1e,2e,and 3e, I finally fell in love and settled with 3.5e, using smart dungeon mastering to rule out or limit items and rules that cause instant or even gradual "OP"ness. That way there are no "Killer first level Kobalds." My fave character to play is Human Rogue/Ranger named "Thieven Roe-Glothgrim" :P, and usually I run a character while I am DMing.
Hello Grim. Welcom to The Piazza.

I'm a 3rd Edition fan too. I only started with 2nd Edition, so you have more history than me.
Grim wrote:Now with two kids, I would like to get them into D&D and my plan is to incorporate the "Thunder Rift/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" setting with 3.5(with my own minor tweaks) rules. The campaign, which will be sprawling through a few different worlds through dem. travel, is called "DragonShadow." You guys have been EXTREMELY helpful in this plan. (not to mention my idea only started as Thunder Rift until I came here!)
I've been struggling to get back to converting Spelljammer to 3rd Edition, so it's great to see you are converting another out of print campaign setting to 3.5. :cool:

I've actually been getting some help from 4th Edition fans (who have helped me borrow a few interesting ideas from 4e to use with 3e). I do struggle with 4e, and have not looked at 5e much, but I know that there are going to be plenty of ideas I can raid from them both.
Grim wrote:PS: If somebody could let me know if I should just shoot off my questions on here, or point me in the direction of the best "TR/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" forum
What's a Knacker-Knob campaign setting? I'm not familiar with that term. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:02 am
Gender: male
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Gravesguardian »

Big Mac wrote:
Grim wrote:PS: If somebody could let me know if I should just shoot off my questions on here, or point me in the direction of the best "TR/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" forum
What's a Knacker-Knob campaign setting? I'm not familiar with that term. :?
[/quote]

Knacker-Knob is the "Offical" name given to the area that the Dragon's Den big boxset was set in.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

Gravesguardian wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Grim wrote:PS: If somebody could let me know if I should just shoot off my questions on here, or point me in the direction of the best "TR/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" forum
What's a Knacker-Knob campaign setting? I'm not familiar with that term. :?
Knacker-Knob is the "Offical" name given to the area that the Dragon's Den big boxset was set in.
Do you mean Dungeons & Dragons: The Dragon's Den?

I think that might be the boxed set I once saw being sold cheap in a discount book store. (I should have bought it, when I saw it, but I decided to leave it.)

I don't see a mention of Knacker-Knob in the blurb. Was it in the adventure text?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:02 am
Gender: male
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Gravesguardian »

Big Mac wrote:
Gravesguardian wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Grim wrote:PS: If somebody could let me know if I should just shoot off my questions on here, or point me in the direction of the best "TR/Knacker-Knob/The Vale" forum
What's a Knacker-Knob campaign setting? I'm not familiar with that term. :?
Knacker-Knob is the "Offical" name given to the area that the Dragon's Den big boxset was set in.
Do you mean Dungeons & Dragons: The Dragon's Den?

I think that might be the boxed set I once saw being sold cheap in a discount book store. (I should have bought it, when I saw it, but I decided to leave it.)

I don't see a mention of Knacker-Knob in the blurb. Was it in the adventure text?
It was mentioned on the Wanted-Bold Adventurers! handout as well as in the 3 adventure modules. The Bailiff that hires the party is referred to as: Bailiff Wortley, Alderman of Knacker Knob. I believe that Knacker Knob is listed on the handout as a "fortified community of 5,000, populated mostly by refuges who have fled the harsh tryanny of the Black Prince." (That's taken from the Legend area of the handout- it's on the back of the Read This Sheet First! paper).
Oh & yes, that is the Dragon's Den boxset I was referring to.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

Gravesguardian wrote:It was mentioned on the Wanted-Bold Adventurers! handout as well as in the 3 adventure modules. The Bailiff that hires the party is referred to as: Bailiff Wortley, Alderman of Knacker Knob. I believe that Knacker Knob is listed on the handout as a "fortified community of 5,000, populated mostly by refuges who have fled the harsh tryanny of the Black Prince." (That's taken from the Legend area of the handout- it's on the back of the Read This Sheet First! paper).
Oh & yes, that is the Dragon's Den boxset I was referring to.
I've decided to start up a Knacker-Knob topic in the Thunder Rift forum, as we are getting into a significant amount of detail here. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angela C
Kobold
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:55 am
Gender: female

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Angela C »

Hi All,
I am a long time RPG gamer from Brisbane, Australia. I found out about The Piazza from David S (Thanks Dave) and have been pretty slack about posting but it is a lovely idea to have a community like this. I have played RPG since its conception and remember my first game with the box set of D&D. I never understood why there were no women in gaming when I started, but I am happy to say I have seen a definite change in this area for the better. As I keep telling my sons...I AM a cool mum. Love this genre and as every gamer would, I would like to make some money out of it (enough to buy a coffee a week when I retire - keeping it reasonable)

To this end my friend Keith Done published the world Eldoria which we have played and developed since the 80s. If you want to find out a bit more about this head over to http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... of-Eldoria and check out our products. Lots of free stuff there.

I would really love to see other people join this amazing world so contact me on one of our face book pages if you would like to join the current campaign Dark Times in Darringmoor (locally or I can supply details to run your own game with our groups remotely). What they do in this campaign changes the world eg. a building is burnt down it is no longer there for the next group and the exploits may be published in the Darringmoor Dart.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

Angela C wrote:Hi All,
I am a long time RPG gamer from Brisbane, Australia. I found out about The Piazza from David S (Thanks Dave) and have been pretty slack about posting but it is a lovely idea to have a community like this.
Hi Angela,

I'm not sure if I already said "Welcome to The Piazza", but thanks for popping over to this topic to say "hi" to everyone. :D
Angela C wrote:I have played RPG since its conception and remember my first game with the box set of D&D. I never understood why there were no women in gaming when I started, but I am happy to say I have seen a definite change in this area for the better. As I keep telling my sons...I AM a cool mum. Love this genre and as every gamer would, I would like to make some money out of it (enough to buy a coffee a week when I retire - keeping it reasonable)
I didn't understand why there was a shortage of women in gaming either. One of my first GMs was a female friend of mine and she had some fun monsters in her game. I think there was a slightly better balance when I started to do Live Action Roleplaying Games.

(Talking of LARP, did you take part in any of Keith Done's Eldoria LARP adventures?)
Angela C wrote:To this end my friend Keith Done published the world Eldoria which we have played and developed since the 80s. If you want to find out a bit more about this head over to http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... of-Eldoria and check out our products. Lots of free stuff there.
You are helping Keith write Eldoria stuff now, if I recall correctly. If that is the case, we should probably get you added to Havard's Celebrities on The Piazza list.

The search system here can also be used to search for Eldoria topics on The Piazza, if you want to go looking to see if there are any questions you know the answers to.
Angela C wrote:I would really love to see other people join this amazing world so contact me on one of our face book pages if you would like to join the current campaign Dark Times in Darringmoor (locally or I can supply details to run your own game with our groups remotely). What they do in this campaign changes the world eg. a building is burnt down it is no longer there for the next group and the exploits may be published in the Darringmoor Dart.
If you are actually hoping to recruit gamers, you might want to post an invitation in The Magic Mirror. That's the "gamers seeking gamers" forum. It sounds like you want to do something similar to a "Living Eldoria" concept.

We do have some Australian gamers. I'm not sure if they are in your part of the country, but they might be close enough for a Skype game, if the Friends of Eldoria do that.

And you might want to add your Facebook links into your forum signature. That way, people will be able to find them from any of your posts.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Illuminatus
Hobgoblin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 am
Gender: male

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Illuminatus »

Hi folks. I’ve been lurking around these boards as a guest cribbing campaign material for a long time. Figured it was finally time to jump in the pool.

I started playing AD&D an elven lifetime ago. My first game ended after about 10 seconds when my dwarven fighter/thief opened a door, attacked a berserker, and was promptly killed. But I had caught the bug, and stuck with it. I eventually started DMing AD&D, but liked the Known World gazetteers so much that I set my AD&D campaigns in the Known World. So I guess I was into Mystara before there was a Mystara.

I was really happy to find this site, and all the great material that people are still developing, keeping Known World/Mystara alive. Muchos Gracias!

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

Illuminatus wrote:Hi folks. I’ve been lurking around these boards as a guest cribbing campaign material for a long time. Figured it was finally time to jump in the pool.
Thanks for jumping in the pool! Do ignore the Elder Brain in the deep end. ;)

Welcome to The Piazza Illuminatus.
Illuminatus wrote:I started playing AD&D an elven lifetime ago. My first game ended after about 10 seconds when my dwarven fighter/thief opened a door, attacked a berserker, and was promptly killed. But I had caught the bug, and stuck with it. I eventually started DMing AD&D, but liked the Known World gazetteers so much that I set my AD&D campaigns in the Known World. So I guess I was into Mystara before there was a Mystara.
10 seconds is pretty short. I hope you didn't spend days writing a back story. Did the rest of the party manage to get revenge on that beserker?
Illuminatus wrote:I was really happy to find this site, and all the great material that people are still developing, keeping Known World/Mystara alive. Muchos Gracias!
There are an amazing number of people doing Mystara stuff here. Have you seen Threshold Magazine yet?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21702
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Havard »

Illuminatus wrote:Hi folks. I’ve been lurking around these boards as a guest cribbing campaign material for a long time. Figured it was finally time to jump in the pool.

I started playing AD&D an elven lifetime ago. My first game ended after about 10 seconds when my dwarven fighter/thief opened a door, attacked a berserker, and was promptly killed. But I had caught the bug, and stuck with it. I eventually started DMing AD&D, but liked the Known World gazetteers so much that I set my AD&D campaigns in the Known World. So I guess I was into Mystara before there was a Mystara.

I was really happy to find this site, and all the great material that people are still developing, keeping Known World/Mystara alive. Muchos Gracias!
Hello Illuminatus! Welcome to The Piazza! I think most of the Mystara fans became fans before the name was added to the setting. We have just gotten used to the name over the years. Anyway, great having you here. Looking forward to chatting more on these boards! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Illuminatus
Hobgoblin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 am
Gender: male

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Illuminatus »

Big Mac wrote: There are an amazing number of people doing Mystara stuff here. Have you seen Threshold Magazine yet?
Oh yes! I've downloaded all those, and most of the fan gazetteers. Great stuff.
Big Mac wrote:Did the rest of the party manage to get revenge on that beserker?
They totally did. And after the funeral of poor Modus Operandi, I rolled up a paladin who lives to this very day. A study in contrasts.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26668
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Big Mac »

Illuminatus wrote:
Big Mac wrote:There are an amazing number of people doing Mystara stuff here. Have you seen Threshold Magazine yet?
Oh yes! I've downloaded all those, and most of the fan gazetteers. Great stuff.
Maybe you can talk to a few of the people that have made your favourite stuff sometime. You might even be able to help someone who is trying to bounce ideas around. :)
Illuminatus wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Did the rest of the party manage to get revenge on that beserker?
They totally did. And after the funeral of poor Modus Operandi, I rolled up a paladin who lives to this very day. A study in contrasts.
Does your group have a game diary or blog? Maybe you could share some ideas from your campaign and help other Known World/Mystara fans.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

tetrasodium
Gnoll
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:23 pm
Gender: male

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by tetrasodium »

I've never really been much for the "hi everybody" type threads, so my first post here was this one about eberronizing ToA where someone suggested I pop over here too :D

I've been running d&d games (along with many others) off & on since the early 90's with AD&D. FR was always too much random tolkien+what's cool thrown in a blender with no thought to how things should interact/effect each other, so I usually did completely homebrew settings back then. Eventually Eberron came around & I've been happy to use the hell out of it since, but it's always a huge pain to break new players out of the FR box created by all the FR-centric stuff baked into the core books.

Came across this recently when @HellcowKeith tweeted a mention of it, so boogabooga everyone :D

Post Reply

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”