Forever A Gamer, Sarûnia is Still Spinning

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Forever A Gamer, Sarûnia is Still Spinning

Post by Princess Strega »

Greetings and Salutations.

The Angelic Dragon here sounding off with an important message. It has been brought to my attention that gaming, though it has been a huge blessing for me and has brought me insurmountable joy, is holding me back from accomplishing what I want out of life. I am bowing out of gaming completely. This means that I am stepping down as a moderator here on The Piazza forums as well as permanently shelving Sarûnia.

Regarding the presence of Sarûnia here on The Piazza, it is to be locked down. If anyone has interest in it, please feel free to private message me, either here on the forums or on Facebook. I am not going to entertain pawning it off for development to anyone else, it has been my labor of love and I am laying it to rest. I have no plans on releasing any documents for the setting. Feel free to use any of the material I have developed as you wish, but note that it is my intellectual property. I will be very upset if I see my work published by someone else in any format.

I know that the future is unwritten and I have made friends here that I wish to stay in contact with to talk about whatever else may come up. I have to follow my heart. And right now it is telling me that I need to take a leap of faith and be done with gaming.

You will still see me here on the forums, but I will not be participating in talk about RPG settings or systems.
Last edited by Princess Strega on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Bowing Out Of Gaming, Ceasing Production of Sarûnia

Post by Big Mac »

MODERATOR NOTE: Anyone wanting to discuss Sarûnia should see Ashtagon's "What's happened to Sarûnia?" sticky in the Sarûnia archive.
The Angelic Dragon wrote:It has been brought to my attention that gaming, though it has been a huge blessing for me and has brought me insurmountable joy, is holding me back from accomplishing what I want out of life. I am bowing out of gaming completely. This means that I am stepping down as a moderator here on The Piazza forums as well as permanently shelving Sarûnia.
I'm happy-sad about this. :( :)

We have discussed a number of different campaign settings together and it has been great fun. I have also enjoyed seeing your enthusiasm for Sarûnia. When I see people putting energy into their projects, it inspires me to try to get mine done. So I am going to miss seeing you do that stuff. :(

But on the other hand, I think it is great that you have worked out what is holding you back, so I'm happy that you will be moving forward. And I am also happy that you will be hanging around in the non-RPG areas and staying in touch with us. :)

You have done a lot for The Piazza, both as a moderator and as an ordinary forum member. So I would like to personally thank you for all the links you have found and for looking after the Eberron forum (and keeping the spammers away). I don't know how long it takes you to do that stuff, but I know how long it has taken me to do similar stuff. And I know that the time you have spent there, has freed up time for other people in the moderator team and/or made things better for fans who have been able to use your links to find information about the things they like. That is a gift to the community that is still going to be here, after you stop talking about RPGs.

I look forward to seeing you in the non-RPG sections. And we are still friends on Facebook, so feel free to ping me over there if you want to chat about stuff. Good luck with your future. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Big Mac wrote:We have discussed a number of different campaign settings together and it has been great fun. I have also enjoyed seeing your enthusiasm for Sarûnia. When I see people putting energy into their projects, it inspires me to try to get mine done. So I am going to miss seeing you do that stuff. :(

But on the other hand, I think it is great that you have worked out what is holding you back, so I'm happy that you will be moving forward. And I am also happy that you will be hanging around in the non-RPG areas and staying in touch with us. :)

I have been struggling with gaming for too long, struggling to find my own happiness. I have thrown myself into everything that I have liked and spread myself far too thin. I now know that and I am starting to explore my options. I know I love writing, I keep a journal and I have grown a lot and discovered so much about myself since I have started journaling. Somewhere along the way I lost myself and spiraled into depression. It was not clinical but I felt it. Through it I clung to gaming for dear life, it helped keep my sanity; without gaming and the internet I may have very well gone insane. I have still struggled with letting go of gaming, I have always held it so close to my heart. I am taking the time now to rediscover myself and find new passions or to explore older ones that have been shelved for a long time. I am changing, like the caterpillar that becomes the butterfly I am receding into my own chrysalis to truly find myself. This has been a long time coming. A lot has changed in the last two weeks, I am already finding strength that I had no idea existed and happiness that has eluded me for over a decade.

Big Mac wrote:You have done a lot for The Piazza, both as a moderator and as an ordinary forum member. So I would like to personally thank you for all the links you have found and for looking after the Eberron forum (and keeping the spammers away). I don't know how long it takes you to do that stuff, but I know how long it has taken me to do similar stuff. And I know that the time you have spent there, has freed up time for other people in the moderator team and/or made things better for fans who have been able to use your links to find information about the things they like. That is a gift to the community that is still going to be here, after you stop talking about RPGs.
I know the work I put into linking all the 4E products to Piazza affiliate links on Amazon.ca, Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, D&D Classics, DriveThru and RpgNow was quite the endeavor. It has all been a labor of love, this is the best gaming community I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of; the smallness of it makes it feel like we are part of a tight knit family.

Big Mac wrote:I look forward to seeing you in the non-RPG sections. And we are still friends on Facebook, so feel free to ping me over there if you want to chat about stuff. Good luck with your future. :D

It has been a blast hanging out with so many awesome people, the latter of which I will not deny myself just because I am getting out of gaming.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Darnit, now I'll have to maintain my own Thorn's Chronicle links! :D

Seriously, though, TAD, it sounds like you're finding the peace and stability you've been looking for, and though I'm sad to see your diminished presence, I am happy for you :D

Your support of the Chronicle project has been instrumental in keeping me going and keeping me motivated. I just hope it was a coincidence of timing that you read the dreck of an alpha-version of the Chronicle Companion netbook and shelved your gaming ;)

Paths that diverge today may very well meet again tomorrow, or next month, or years down the road. We won't know if we don't keep walking, and we'll certainly miss out on adventures along the way if we stop!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

rredmond
Bugbear

Post by rredmond »

Hey TAD I think I know you only from here, and I've definitely perused and enjoyed what you put out.
Good luck and be well! How awesome that you've identified barriers to where you would like to be.

Best wishes,
--Ron--

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

RobJN wrote:Darnit, now I'll have to maintain my own Thorn's Chronicle links! :D

Seriously, though, TAD, it sounds like you're finding the peace and stability you've been looking for, and though I'm sad to see your diminished presence, I am happy for you :D

Your support of the Chronicle project has been instrumental in keeping me going and keeping me motivated. I just hope it was a coincidence of timing that you read the dreck of an alpha-version of the Chronicle Companion netbook and shelved your gaming ;)
Thorn's Chronicle Thread Index --> Just hit the quote button on that post and you will be able to get the url and text formatting for the Chronicle.

Thank you, you have been a good friend to me here on the boards and I have had fun participating and helping along the Chronicle.

^_^ And completely coincidence.
RobJN wrote:Paths that diverge today may very well meet again tomorrow, or next month, or years down the road. We won't know if we don't keep walking, and we'll certainly miss out on adventures along the way if we stop!
I have given this a lot of thought. I have minimized my collection to the point that if I do get back into gaming I will not kick myself for purging titles that would cost me an arm and a leg to reacquire. Primarily Eberron and Ravenloft. There is hardly any 3E titles or D20 material remaining in my collection now. It is heavily focused on Pathfinder, all shelved away in my closet though. I may or may not be done with homebrewing, there are plenty of published worlds that have a lot of support and Golarion is at the top of my list with as much as it offers genre wise. Cerulean Seas is my second favorite as I have always wanted to develop a drowned world setting. And I am looking forward to getting my Kickstarter rewards for Primeval Thule, I will give them a look over when I get them, but then they are going straight into my closet. I am promising myself at least a year away from touching anything gaming related after that.

If I ever do get back into homebrewing, it will definitely be with the focus on developing The Dreull Lands for Ravenloft; think Final Fantasy VI/VII meets Lovecraft with a heavy focus on Victorian fantasy and an Old West feel far away from the lands called civilized. Development on this is definitely years into the future though.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

rredmond wrote:Hey TAD I think I know you only from here, and I've definitely perused and enjoyed what you put out.
Good luck and be well! How awesome that you've identified barriers to where you would like to be.

Best wishes,
--Ron--
Thank you Ron, it means so much to me to have the backing and support of my friends here on The Piazza to pursue that which truly ignites my passions. I am glad to part of this community and happy to have shared as much as I have here, that it has given joy to the friends I have here.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

The Angelic Dragon wrote: If I ever do get back into homebrewing, it will definitely be with the focus on developing The Dreull Lands for Ravenloft; think Final Fantasy VI/VII meets Lovecraft with a heavy focus on Victorian fantasy and an Old West feel far away from the lands called civilized. Development on this is definitely years into the future though.
:o

<Jayne>I'll be in my bunk </Jayne>

:mrgreen:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

The Angelic Dragon wrote:I have minimized my collection to the point that if I do get back into gaming I will not kick myself for purging titles that would cost me an arm and a leg to reacquire. Primarily Eberron and Ravenloft.
That's good. I seen a lot of people kick themselves and spend a lot of money reacquiring things.

I'm generally not a fan of giving up a hobby you enjoy. Sometimes people need to scale back but I think giving up entirely is generally a little extreme. I've had people who won't play in my game because it only runs once a month. They want more game time but I just can't manage to game more often. I wish you the best of luck even if it doesn't involve gaming.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

After much ado I have decided to re-enter into the development of this wondrous and fantastic setting! :mrgreen:

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Forever A Gamer, Sarûnia is Still Spinning

Post by BlackBat242 »

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: Forever A Gamer, Sarûnia is Still Spinning

I made a video discussing Sarûnia and my plans on getting setting material from The Pathfinder Database posted up here on the forums, thereby giving The Piazza a bit of a shout-out!

Return to “The Tabard Inn”