Allen Varney here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Allen Varney here

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Allen Varney wrote:I wrote quite a bit for Dragon back in the late 100s and early 200s -- the "Roleplaying Reviews" column (alternating with Rick Swan and Lester Smith), the "Current Clack" news column, and a revived "TSR PROfiles" column that replaced Clack.
I bet your writings would fill up half of the Encyclopedia Brittanica if you lined them up end to end. I don't suppose there is one place that lists everything you have written.
Allen Varney wrote:I also wrote a few articles, such as the Spelljammer article "Ladders to the Sky" and the first published article for the short-lived TSR trading card game Blood Wars.
I must start to wikify things like Ladders to the Sky. I wonder if I can borrow Night Druid's cloning process! :lol:
Allen Varney wrote:My favorite piece for Dragon, aside from some of the reviews, was probably my installment of the occasional series "The Dragon Project," where various writers statted dragons for games that didn't ordinarily have dragons; I wrote up a mutant alligator for Car Wars. And another favorite: And for an April Fool's issue I wrote the article "Dance Steps for Space Hulk," which for some reason didn't take the Warhammer 40,000 world by storm, go figure.
I do find dragons interesting. If you look at Echohawk's Complete D&D Index, it is amazing to see how many different dragons have been in the game over the years.

There was a TV show on about a year back that had a bunch of pseudo-science about how a dragon could be a real-life creature. I've forgotten a lot of it, but I believe it was a helium filled critter that burped up napalm! :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:34 pm

BlackBat
sorry I cna't afford to post them! unless you can come collect them near Glasgow, they're going in the bin, sorry :/
I've made that offer (free) on several boards in past year :)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:56 pm

I know the mailing cost from GBr>USA is high... I would be willing to pay that for the ones I want... if I knew which ones you have.

>hint for a list<

;)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:55 pm

BlackBat
sorry pal, it's just too much hassle for me :)
and I had everyone from oh 120 to last one printed.
so about 50 have already been binned. reality is I don't have space for them, and my goodness it SUCKS :(

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:so about 50 have already been binned. reality is I don't have space for them, and my goodness it SUCKS :(
Wow, that is a shame.

I have tossed out (non roleplaying) stuff myself in the past (even though I've known that some of it was collectable). I know some people who do the eBay thing, but I just don't have the time for keeping up with all that.

If I lived nearby I would at least take the ones I need to wikify and buy you a pint (although I suspect you are saving those for yourself). Is there not even an Oxfam or other secondhand shop that you can dump them in?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:50 am

Big Mac
rememer, my health's bad, basically I can do one thing in a day, such as shopping, getting my Mum into hospital etc...or do art. So I don't want to waste precious time (well, how far my vitality stretches), just taking stuff into a charity shop cause it weighs a ton, ya know?

Gave my cousin a lot of my 2nd and 3rd ed stuff to ebay off...can't afford to get upset about it. :/
kept lot of my precious stuff, Spelljammer, Dark Sun and the like, had ot say bye bye to Queen of the Spiders, Greyhawk folio, all kinds of great stuff.
Kept the Illithiad, Sea Devils, I Tyrant and such like. Wish you could have seen my collection beforehand, it was fantastic.
Sigh.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:...I can do one thing in a day...
OK. I knew you were ill, but didn't think you were quite that bad. Sorry I mentioned it.
Silverblade-T-E wrote:Gave my cousin a lot of my 2nd and 3rd ed stuff to ebay off...can't afford to get upset about it. :/
Shame your cousin didn't take the magazines too.
Silverblade-T-E wrote:Wish you could have seen my collection beforehand, it was fantastic.
Sigh.
That would have been nice. At least some of your stuff will make some random grognard on eBay very happy.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Argh! I have a friend near Glasgow who could have picked them up for me :cry: darn it sucks not having space (I too had to sell many rpg books recently...I could never, ever bin them)

Here's hoping your health improves! :)

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Well he can come pick up the ones I havne't binned, then, if ya want ;)
been the newer ones I've thrown out, iirc

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:Well he can come pick up the ones I havne't binned, then, if ya want ;)
That is a very kind offer.

Maybe you two should take it to PMs as we have all been hogging Allen Varney's thread. :oops:

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:56 am

So Allen,

Who is your favorite game designer?
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 pm

BPIJonathan wrote:So Allen, who is your favorite game designer?
Sorry to be late answering - I was away. My favorite roleplaying game rules designer is probably Greg Costikyan, for his work on PARANOIA, TOON, and the original West End Star Wars, as well as for his design treatises. Try to track down Greg's forgotten West End Games RPG The Price of Freedom, which is better than it has any right to be. Greg Gorden (DC Heroes, Earthdawn, TORG) is an equal master. I greatly respect the work of the Hero System designers (George MacDonald, Steve Peterson, and later Rob Bell and Steven Long), as well as Steve Jackson (The Fantasy Trip and GURPS), the original White Wolf Mage: The Ascension designers (plus Mage line developer Phil Brucato), and everyone at Chaosium. A lot of great games appeared after my involvement in the RPG business waned, so I'm not sufficiently familiar with the work of Rebecca Borgstrom and others to comment. Among the current generation of indie designers, I like Vincent Baker and Ron Edwards; Paul Czege's My Life With Master was a key design influence on my edition of PARANOIA; and I really need to get familiar with Luke Crane's Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard. I find the vigor and experimentation of the indie designers quite interesting, though I don't pay as close attention as I'd like.

As for designers of roleplaying campaign settings and adventures -- a different skill from system design -- I like the old Pagan Publishing crew (John Tynes, Scott Glancy, Dennis Detwiller, and others) for Delta Green and other landmark Call of Cthulhu supplements. CoC has a very long list of meritorious designers, like Larry DiTillio (Masks of Nyarlathotep], Mark Morrison and his Australian bunch (Horror on the Orient Express), Marcus Rowland ("Bad Moon Rising" in The Great Old Ones), and many more, all shepherded by Chaosium's great in-house editors like Lynn Willis and the late Keith Herber. I shall always fondly remember Nigel Findley, who wrote prolificly and with shining excellence for AD&D, Shadowrun, Mayfair's Underground, and many other games. Speaking of D&D/AD&D setting designers, I like Jeff Grubb best for creating both of my favorite TSR settings, Spelljammer and Al-Qadim. As for current setting designers, I just haven't been paying attention, sorry to say.

Among board and card game designers, man, there's a ton. The one I really want to be when I grow up is Richard Garfield, though this ambition is difficult because I'm already older than he is. I also really like a lot of Reiner Knizia's games, and I've become completely addicted to Donald X. Vaccarino's tremendous card game Dominion.

I shall now hit Submit and then instantly think of two dozen other terrific talents I forgot to mention.
-- Allen Varney
Twitter: AllenVarney | http://www.allenvarney.com | http://bundleofholding.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:41 pm

Allen Varney wrote:I shall always fondly remember Nigel Findley, who wrote prolificly and with shining excellence for AD&D, Shadowrun, Mayfair's Underground, and many other games.
Wow. I must be living in a cave as I didn't realise he was dead until you said this*. I really liked the fact that he was good at making both game content and novels for Spelljammer. Practical Planetology is one of my favorite parts of Spelljammer and Nigel's excellent portrayal of Estriss, in Into the Void, is the reason I use a mind flayer as an avatar. And the fact that he did an adventure, as well as a couple of suppliments shows he really had a handle on working with all aspects of the setting. I don't know his Shadowrun work so well (as I bought a lot less products for that), but I bet he would have put out some fantastic things if he had stayed with us longer.

* = When I was younger, I kind of thought of you and the other TSR staff (and freelancers) as a kind of "pink fluffy cloud" that spat out cool stuff periodically. I didn't really pay much attention to how you did what you did. You were just a bunch of cool people in America. I never even realised that "normal" people could write in to TSR and do stuff like that (otherwise I'd have sent in a ton of over-enthusiastic letters :lol: ).
Allen Varney wrote:Speaking of D&D/AD&D setting designers, I like Jeff Grubb best for creating both of my favorite TSR settings, Spelljammer and Al-Qadim.
Jeff Grubb is my all time favorite D&D designer. The man just seems to sneeze out campaign settings. I really like the idea of a RPG system that can be used with multiple worlds (by multiple people). The SRD caused a lot of compatable worlds to spring up, but I really feel like Jeff Grubb was a major inspiration behind this sort of thing. That is why I often refer to him as "The Mighty Grubbmeister".
Allen Varney wrote:As for current setting designers, I just haven't been paying attention, sorry to say.
Me neither, sadly. Although I think I should be paying more attention to Pathfinder RPG, as its fans have rapidly put up a ton of fan support on a few well organised wikis that all complement each other. It clearly isn't just a case of people supporting Pathfinder as some sort of "revenge" or 'sympathy" for the loss of the Dragon/Dungeon licences (and the removal of the OOP PDFs). There has got to be something solid about the design if fans are that active. The campaign world seems to have a 2e feel to it. And the Pathfinder SRD is like retro-gaming without the retro.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Allen Varney wrote: My favorite roleplaying game rules designer is probably Greg Costikyan, for his work on PARANOIA, TOON, and the original West End Star Wars, as well as for his design treatises. Try to track down Greg's forgotten West End Games RPG The Price of Freedom, which is better than it has any right to be.

It will be easy for me to track down, I dont have to go more than a few feet from the PC and see it in living color in my bookshelf. It has been one of my favorite games, not only do I own every single thing published for it, but I ran a ton of adventures/scenarios back in the day from just the core book and had a blast doing it.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:07 am

Allen Varney wrote:I wrote quite a bit for Dragon back in the late 100s and early 200s -- the "Roleplaying Reviews" column (alternating with Rick Swan and Lester Smith), the "Current Clack" news column, and a revived "TSR PROfiles" column that replaced Clack. I also wrote a few articles, such as the Spelljammer article "Ladders to the Sky" and the first published article for the short-lived TSR trading card game Blood Wars.

My favorite piece for Dragon, aside from some of the reviews, was probably my installment of the occasional series "The Dragon Project," where various writers statted dragons for games that didn't ordinarily have dragons; I wrote up a mutant alligator for Car Wars. And another favorite: And for an April Fool's issue I wrote the article "Dance Steps for Space Hulk," which for some reason didn't take the Warhammer 40,000 world by storm, go figure.
I noticed while going through my Dragon magazines (gathering information about 2nd ed kits) that you wrote the article on Turkey; I remembered really enjoying it when I originally got that issue. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to read it again, but I wanted to ask if you visited any Hittite ruins during your visit back then. Some of the sites are definitely on my "to-do" list, but I doubt I'll be able to visit them any time soon.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 am

AuldDragon wrote:I noticed while going through my Dragon magazines (gathering information about 2nd ed kits) that you wrote the article on Turkey
That would be "Turkey's Underground Cities," published in Dragon #201 in 1995. I've posted the text on my home page.
AuldDragon wrote:Unfortunately, I didn't have time to read it again, but I wanted to ask if you visited any Hittite ruins during your visit back then.
No, I didn't spend nearly enough time in Turkey -- barely ten days back in 1992. Its huge array of archaeological sites would require probably a month or six weeks just to see once-over-lightly. I plan to go back one of these years. As it stands, I know hardly more about the Hittites than you can learn by playing Avalon Hill's Civilization boardgame.
-- Allen Varney

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for making this article available Allen! It is really fascinating reading about real world ruins and dungeons. They provide a great inspiration for D&D games. I guess there's no use trying to convince you into writing an article on a Hittite inspired kingdom in the Hollow World? ;)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Havard wrote:Thanks for making this article available Allen! It is really fascinating reading about real world ruins and dungeons. They provide a great inspiration for D&D games. I guess there's no use trying to convince you into writing an article on a Hittite inspired kingdom in the Hollow World? ;)

Havard
Well, Allen said he doesn't know much about the Hittites, but I'd recommend the two military history books Osprey published on them (Hittite Warriors and Hittite Fortifications) as a starting point. I don't have any other books exclusively on the Hittites at this point, although I've been eyeing some more. I'm planning to incorporate a Hittite kingdom in my eventual bronze-age setting.

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 pm

AuldDragon wrote:Well, Allen said he doesn't know much about the Hittites, but I'd recommend the two military history books Osprey published on them (Hittite Warriors and Hittite Fortifications) as a starting point. I don't have any other books exclusively on the Hittites at this point, although I've been eyeing some more. I'm planning to incorporate a Hittite kingdom in my eventual bronze-age setting.
Thanks for the recommendations Jeff! Maybe you would like to do a writeup of that kingdom for your setting and post it on the Piazza? :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Ashtagon,
shouldnt this thread be made sticky? :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Havard wrote:
AuldDragon wrote:Well, Allen said he doesn't know much about the Hittites, but I'd recommend the two military history books Osprey published on them (Hittite Warriors and Hittite Fortifications) as a starting point. I don't have any other books exclusively on the Hittites at this point, although I've been eyeing some more. I'm planning to incorporate a Hittite kingdom in my eventual bronze-age setting.
Thanks for the recommendations Jeff! Maybe you would like to do a writeup of that kingdom for your setting and post it on the Piazza? :)

Havard
I will once it is more than ephemeral mist in my head. :D

The Osprey books in general are great resources; I highly recommend picking any up that are relevant to themed nations people are working on. :)

Jeff

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:00 am

Not sure I'd like to see this thread stickied - it would just be a distraction to those who don't want to ask me some particular question. But once you attract a few more of the TSR freelancers and staffers, it might make sense to group all their "Ask me questions" topics together.
-- Allen Varney

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 am

Allen Varney wrote:Not sure I'd like to see this thread stickied - it would just be a distraction to those who don't want to ask me some particular question. But once you attract a few more of the TSR freelancers and staffers, it might make sense to group all their "Ask me questions" topics together.
If we get quite a few freelancers & staffers "Ask so-so" threads going, it might make sense to create a subforum for 'em :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:49 am

Allen Varney wrote:Not sure I'd like to see this thread stickied - it would just be a distraction to those who don't want to ask me some particular question. But once you attract a few more of the TSR freelancers and staffers, it might make sense to group all their "Ask me questions" topics together.
Hmm. I think it would be easy enough for someone to ignore this thread if they were not interested in your work or opinions (not that I think that is going to be the case for too many people).

If we get a lot of TSR freelancers/staffers, I think we could have one information sticky (with links) and then unsticky all the other threads.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:06 pm

Allen Varney wrote:But once you attract a few more of the TSR freelancers and staffers, it might make sense to group all their "Ask me questions" topics together.
I like the way you are thinking here Allen. You dont happen to know any who might be interested? :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”