Book: Vikings at War

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Book: Vikings at War

Postby Havard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:21 pm

I own the Norwegian edition of this book titled Vikings at War, by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike.

It is now available in English:

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.u ... d.html?m=1

This is a coffee table book with lots of illustrations and pictures as well as useful information about Viking history, society and also details on weapons and armor.

Recommended for gamers!

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Book: Vikings at War

Postby Justinov » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Havard wrote:I own the Norwegian edition of this book titled Vikings at War, by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike.

This is a coffee table book with lots of illustrations and pictures as well as useful information about Viking history, society and also details on weapons and armor.

Recommended for gamers!

-Havard

I have the Danish version, but I can also really recommend it for the reasons you give above Havard.
Especially for it's focus on viking groups in different areas (Ireland, England, Frankish areas, Spain, Eastern Europe, Byzantium and Greenland/America) if one wants to play a a historical or semi-historical setting that include vikings.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby BlackBat242 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 am

Sounds really good.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Boneguard » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:43 am

Sounds awesome. Any image/plate with a Atgeir?
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Justinov wrote:
Havard wrote:I own the Norwegian edition of this book titled Vikings at War, by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike.

Recommended for gamers!

-Havard

I have the Danish version, but I can also really recommend it for the reasons you give above Havard.

It's good that this is a Nordic book that has been translated. I would imagine that if it had critical flaws in the book the Norwegian and Danish critics would have taken it to pieces in their reviews.

Has this book made a grand tour of Nordic countries before being translated into English?

Justinov wrote:Especially for it's focus on viking groups in different areas (Ireland, England, Frankish areas, Spain, Eastern Europe, Byzantium and Greenland/America) if one wants to play a a historical or semi-historical setting that include vikings.

Is that a bigger area of the world than HR1 Vikings Campaign Sourcebook covered? I've got that book (and a couple of other HR books, and have been wondering how someone might run a game set in a HR campaign setting. Those HR books were fairly low on pages, and I've always thought that you would need a boxed set to be able to do the Viking world full justice.

I guess that this book is one of the ones that a Viking GM should be considering as a sourcebook. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Rhuvein » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:24 am

Nice.

Very interested.

400 pages.

:cool:
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Rhuvein
Hobgoblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 am

Very nice, I am intrigued. As a fan of history, I am going to have to pick it up at some point.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to The Tabard Inn