Book: Vikings at War

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 17878
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Book: Vikings at War

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:21 am

I own the Norwegian edition of this book titled Vikings at War, by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike.

It is now available in English:

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.u ... d.html?m=1

This is a coffee table book with lots of illustrations and pictures as well as useful information about Viking history, society and also details on weapons and armor.

Recommended for gamers!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Justinov
Stone Giant
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:14 am
Gender: male
Location: Denmark

Re: Book: Vikings at War

Post by Justinov » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Havard wrote:I own the Norwegian edition of this book titled Vikings at War, by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike.

It is now available in English:

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.u ... d.html?m=1

This is a coffee table book with lots of illustrations and pictures as well as useful information about Viking history, society and also details on weapons and armor.

Recommended for gamers!

-Havard
I have the Danish version, but I can also really recommend it for the reasons you give above Havard.
Especially for it's focus on viking groups in different areas (Ireland, England, Frankish areas, Spain, Eastern Europe, Byzantium and Greenland/America) if one wants to play a a historical or semi-historical setting that include vikings.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

User avatar
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Posts: 1521
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 am
Gender: other
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Book: Vikings at War

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:20 am

Sounds really good.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

User avatar
Boneguard
Frost Giant
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:00 pm
Gender: male
Location: Gatineau (Quebec) Canada

Re: Book: Vikings at War

Post by Boneguard » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:43 am

Sounds awesome. Any image/plate with a Atgeir?
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 22514
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Book: Vikings at War

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Justinov wrote:
Havard wrote:I own the Norwegian edition of this book titled Vikings at War, by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike.

It is now available in English:

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.u ... d.html?m=1

This is a coffee table book with lots of illustrations and pictures as well as useful information about Viking history, society and also details on weapons and armor.

Recommended for gamers!

-Havard
I have the Danish version, but I can also really recommend it for the reasons you give above Havard.
It's good that this is a Nordic book that has been translated. I would imagine that if it had critical flaws in the book the Norwegian and Danish critics would have taken it to pieces in their reviews.

Has this book made a grand tour of Nordic countries before being translated into English?
Justinov wrote:Especially for it's focus on viking groups in different areas (Ireland, England, Frankish areas, Spain, Eastern Europe, Byzantium and Greenland/America) if one wants to play a a historical or semi-historical setting that include vikings.
Is that a bigger area of the world than HR1 Vikings Campaign Sourcebook covered? I've got that book (and a couple of other HR books, and have been wondering how someone might run a game set in a HR campaign setting. Those HR books were fairly low on pages, and I've always thought that you would need a boxed set to be able to do the Viking world full justice.

I guess that this book is one of the ones that a Viking GM should be considering as a sourcebook. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Rhuvein
Hobgoblin
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 1:08 am
Gender: other
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Book: Vikings at War

Post by Rhuvein » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 am

Nice.

Very interested.

400 pages.

:cool:
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8306
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Book: Vikings at War

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 am

Very nice, I am intrigued. As a fan of history, I am going to have to pick it up at some point.

Post Reply

Return to “The Tabard Inn”