[novel] Tales of Peril

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Zenopus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

The Maze of Peril - Chapter 1: ENTRANCES - first scene:

"The Green Dragon Tavern was Crowded, Dark, Noisy"

In regard to the focus of the Piazza we start to see glimpses of Holmes' world-building, with the Green Dragon Tavern being a meeting place for adventurers from various lands that are given names.
Zenopus
Orc
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 am

Zenopus wrote:Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

The Maze of Peril - Chapter 1: ENTRANCES - first scene:

"The Green Dragon Tavern was Crowded, Dark, Noisy"


Is The Green Dragon Inn the first example of a pub where adventures start, in D&D?

I wonder if Ashtagon was inspired by Holmes, when she created all the pub-like names for the non-campaign setting forums at The Piazza. :?

Zenopus wrote:In regard to the focus of the Piazza we start to see glimpses of Holmes' world-building, with the Green Dragon Tavern being a meeting place for adventurers from various lands that are given names.


Thanks. That's great that you specified this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22150
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Zenopus wrote:Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

The Maze of Peril - Chapter 1: ENTRANCES - first scene:

"The Green Dragon Tavern was Crowded, Dark, Noisy"


Is The Green Dragon Inn the first example of a pub where adventures start, in D&D?


Well, there's also the one from Blackmoor, the Comeback Inn... ;)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
 
Posts: 17559
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Norway

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Zenopus wrote:Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

The Maze of Peril - Chapter 1: ENTRANCES - first scene:

"The Green Dragon Tavern was Crowded, Dark, Noisy"


Is The Green Dragon Inn the first example of a pub where adventures start, in D&D?


Well, there's also the one from Blackmoor, the Comeback Inn... ;)


Oh, I know about The Comeback Inn. But I was wondering if The Green Dragon was older than The Comeback Inn. I know that the first Blackmoor and Greyhawk books were very very light on campaign setting detail.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22150
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Zenopus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm not sure when Gary & crew started using the Green Dragon in Greyhawk, but it wasn't mentioned in print until after Holmes' used it in the Sample Dungeon in the Basic rulebook. They seem to have independently borrowed the name from Tolkien.
Zenopus
Orc
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Zenopus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Next post is up, continuing Chapter 1. More world-building here, with the narrator describing the vast layered Underworld of the setting:

http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1
Zenopus
Orc
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:21 am

Zenopus wrote:I'm not sure when Gary & crew started using the Green Dragon in Greyhawk, but it wasn't mentioned in print until after Holmes' used it in the Sample Dungeon in the Basic rulebook. They seem to have independently borrowed the name from Tolkien.


Given that there are green dragons in D&D (I'm not sure when the colours were introduced) I can imagine some people creating a Green Dragon pub, without borrowing it from Tolkien (or Holmes or Gygax). But these early D&D people seem to have made a lot more effort to read up on pre-D&D fantasy literature.

I saw that you thought that Zereth's homeland was a nod to The King of Elfland's Daughter. Have you ever been able to infer the equivalent of an "Appendix N" for sources that J. Eric Holmes is known (or thought) to have read up on?

Zenopus wrote:Next post is up, continuing Chapter 1. More world-building here, with the narrator describing the vast layered Underworld of the setting:

http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1


Caladan is quite similar to Calidar. I wonder if Bruce Heard's Caldar campaign setting, was inspired by Holmes's town (or by Frank Herbert's Dune). :?

Your Ancient Builder is fun. It seemed familiar. Or at least the idea of an old monster that uses magic items to do stuff seems familiar. I must have either read this before or seen someone else who got inspired by Cthulhu stuff who did something similar. (Spelljammer has a builder civilisation, called the Juna. I think that long-lost races can be pretty cool.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22150
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 am

Another Tales of Peril article is up: Maze of Peril Ch 1, Scene 3: "Murray the Mage, It Is".

There are some posts by Chris Holmes in the comments section. :shock:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22150
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Vile » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:18 am

It's great that Chris is so engaged with the Holmes community. He was a lot of help when I was preparing BLUEHOLME™ for publication.
User avatar
Vile
Bugbear
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Zenopus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 am

The Tales of Peril Book Club returns! Scene Four of the Maze of Peril, where the party finds that entrance to the Underworld...

"Tromping Through the Wilderness"

Not too much setting-building here. This section establishes a forested area near the town of Caladan.
Zenopus
Orc
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:20 am

Zenopus wrote:The Tales of Peril Book Club returns! Scene Four of the Maze of Peril, where the party finds that entrance to the Underworld...

"Tromping Through the Wilderness"

Not too much setting-building here. This section establishes a forested area near the town of Caladan.


It's a nice touch that Boinger wears sandles on roads, but goes barefoot in forests. That's an interesting character trait.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22150
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Previous

Return to The Tabard Inn

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest