What novels are you reading these days ?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

In December, I finished the third book of the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. Very good trans-humaniste space opera saga. One of the inspiration for the Eclipse Phase rpg. During Christmas time I read Chasm City a stand alone of the same series. Currently reading Aurora Rising (The Perfect) another stand alone in the same universe. I'm a big fan of Ian Banks but I have to say Reynold's saga is one notch above.

In november I read, for the second time, Big Planet by Jack Vance and love it even more !

Last edited by shesheyan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What novels are you reading these days ?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 pm

shesheyan wrote:What novels are you reading these days ?
I have a large collection of unread novels (mostly science fiction and fantasy). But I'm bumping my queue with novels set in Dungeons & Dragons campaign settings that I'm trying to learn about.

I want to read the Endless Quest novels set in Dragonstrike at some point this year (as Dragonstrike is connected to Wildspace) but Endless Quest books are hard to read with all the flipping backwards and forwards.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 am

So far this year, I've mostly just been binging on 5e books. :roll: But I recently read Dinner at Deviant's Palace (Tim Powers), Tom Sawyer Abroad (Mark Twain), and Captains Courageous (Rudyard Kipling). The last two were part of a huge box of cheap paperback "classics" that I acquired some time ago and dug out again when I was considering Xmas gifts for my kids. I'd never read those two before, so decided to try them. I just started rereading The Scarlet Letter (Nathaniel Hawthorne), from the same bargain batch.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Mostly re-reading stuff

KING'S DARK TIDINGS by Kel Kade, think a dash of "Sherlock" mixed with dollops of "V for Vendetta" and "Gladiator", in a fantasy world
don't want to spoil it, *READ*! ;)

AEGIS OF MERLIN, forget authors name, kind of fun, alt/magic+tech modern Earth where normally only females have magic, and then a male wizard turns up....

SAFEHOLD series by David Weber, one of greatest fiction series, ever, IMHO.
bit scifi and largely a sort of alt history on a world where technology is banned by a religion that is slipping ever more into evil tyranny
until one person starts teaching them about how to make "Age of Sail" style cannons and other stuff....

Schooled in Magic
this is easy to overlook or think it wouldn't be that great, but it *is*.
very different to "harry Potter", Earth girl dragged to another world that has magic, for a sacrifice...but she escapes and....Harry Potter it's not.
Love it when characters use their brains, and bringing positive changes form Earth knowledge....isn't as simple or only beneficial/baneful

IMAGER POTROFLIO
very interesting take on "magic", which I feel is more "psionics" in this case, images can alter physical reality by power of their minds, but it's not easy or safe
and the tales take you through the lives of the abused and feared outcasts who have such powers form different times in the nation's history, first novels are set in a late 1800s/early 1900s style milleu, then goes back to the nation's founding which is like say, Middle Ages, and then later ones to the Renaissance
really great mix of history, combat, intrigue

:)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

lesh
Gnoll

Post by lesh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 pm

The Revelation Space is one of my favourite space opera series, also I recommend The House of Suns by Reynolds. Lately I've read a lot of Warhammer 40k novels, and Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm also reading 5e books (Sword Coast, Xanathar) and Adventures in Blackmoor documents.

Illuminatus
Orc

Post by Illuminatus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm

I just finished the first two of M.A.R. Barker’s five Tekumel novels, to satisfy a decades-old curiosity about the setting. I was eager to read the next three, but found that they are rare and expensive (having been published in small runs by a minor company.) I also read a review stating that only the first two books read like novels, while the last three read like game transcripts. Sadly, I guess i will never finish the series.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Illuminatus wrote:I just finished the first two of M.A.R. Barker’s five Tekumel novels, to satisfy a decades-old curiosity about the setting. I was eager to read the next three, but found that they are rare and expensive (having been published in small runs by a minor company.) I also read a review stating that only the first two books read like novels, while the last three read like game transcripts. Sadly, I guess i will never finish the series.
I didn't know there were Tekumel novels. I've started a Tekumel novel topic. Maybe you can tell me about the two that you read.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Michael Silverbane
Hobgoblin

Post by Michael Silverbane » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 pm

I am reading or rereading a bunch of old novels, including Mark Twain's "Chapters From My Autobiography" and "Innocents Abroad", Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde" and Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein". I have been doing so on a Twitch stream, which is pretty fun.
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm

The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin, the third novel in her THE BROKEN EARTH trilogy (the other two novels are The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate). This trilogy takes place on a violently unstable world where rare individuals called orogenes are born with the power to control geothermal forces. This power helps them preserve civilization from a planet that hates humanity, but would also allow them to destroy it—which is why they're closely watched by a group called the Guardians, who will kill them if they seem untrustworthy or disloyal. At times this world seems to be the far future of our own world, but it isn't—the world's political and ethnic history were always wildly divergent from ours, even before the Seasons began. This trilogy is an impressive feat of world-building—I'm not being sarcastic when I say I love it when books have glossaries of terms in the back. Fair to compare this trilogy to Frank Herbert's Dune and Chris Claremont's X-Men comics.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. The Illiad from the point of view of Patroclus.

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. A clay golem and a jinni meet as immigrants in 1899 New York.

The Infernal City and Lord of Souls by Greg Keyes. I just finished these; they're J. Gregory Keyes' licensed ELDER SCROLLS novels, taking place between the events of the games Oblivion and Skyrim, in which we learn exactly why the Red Mountain erupted in Morrowind, how the Mede dynasty was founded, the nature of the cursed sword Umbra, and how warring tribes of gourmet chefs go about murdering one another. Worth it for the cooking scenes alone, where Keyes takes the game's alchemy rules to their logical conclusion among courts of decadent, extraplanar nobles hungry for truly exotic cuisine.

The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty. I haven't started this one yet, but it involves a con woman in eighteenth-century Cairo becoming involved with the politics of the djinn.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty. I haven't started this one yet, but it involves a con woman in eighteenth-century Cairo becoming involved with the politics of the djinn.
Interesting. My wife might like this one. I'll pass the title along. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 pm

shesheyan wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty. I haven't started this one yet, but it involves a con woman in eighteenth-century Cairo becoming involved with the politics of the djinn.
Interesting. My wife might like this one. I'll pass the title along. ;)
I wonder how well that would translate into an D&D plot involving the in-game City of Brass.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”