I want to publish a fantasy novel.But this is very difficult.

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
sam
Gnoll

I want to publish a fantasy novel.But this is very difficult.

Post by sam » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:43 am

The environment I live in severely limits me.In China, fantasy literature is hard to have readers. Most of them appear in the form of online literature,what online readers need is quick and "exciting" plots,including a lot of sexual description and unreasonable development.This can bring contracts and a lot of money quickly,but I don't want to do this. :(

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: I want to publish a fantasy novel.But this is very difficult.

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Just do it, with Inkshare. A friend mine did it and was able to sell 300 hard copies and the same amount of electronic copies. Now she is writing her second novel. Https://www.inkshares.com
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I think it can also be done directly with Amazon, but do not know if it is more or less convenient..

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Whoa, inkshares looks promising. How does that actually work?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:18 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm
Whoa, inkshares looks promising. How does that actually work?
Its i bit like kickstarter. You do a campaign, show case excerpts to entice buyers. If you reach your goal you have to complete the manuscripte. Once done Inkshare will act as editor and publisher. That is all I know.
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:09 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 pm
Just do it, with Inkshare. A friend mine did it and was able to sell 300 hard copies and the same amount of electronic copies. Now she is writing her second novel. Https://www.inkshares.com
Thanks. I will try it in various ways.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:26 pm

sam wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:43 am
The environment I live in severely limits me.In China, fantasy literature is hard to have readers. Most of them appear in the form of online literature,what online readers need is quick and "exciting" plots,including a lot of sexual description and unreasonable development.This can bring contracts and a lot of money quickly,but I don't want to do this. :(
I definitely don't think you should write stories that you aren't comfortable with. Write about things you find interesting and there will be people out there who will find them enjoyable. The more you write, the better you will get. If you write in English, you can find a large following internationally. Or do you want to write in Chinese (Mandarin or other)?

There are many ways to self publish these days.

Once you have some books available, there are several ways to make people aware of them. Dropping links to your books wherever you have an online presence can make people want to check them out.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:26 pm
I definitely don't think you should write stories that you aren't comfortable with. Write about things you find interesting and there will be people out there who will find them enjoyable. The more you write, the better you will get. If you write in English, you can find a large following internationally. Or do you want to write in Chinese (Mandarin or other)?

There are many ways to self publish these days.

Once you have some books available, there are several ways to make people aware of them. Dropping links to your books wherever you have an online presence can make people want to check them out.

-Havard
Chinese, of course.English writing is more difficult for me,but maybe I will learn the skills after a few years.

I have written some small clips before, then send it to online,now I have to think about a complete story.I have a concept,about a world where the gods died and the priests were hunted by the wizards.Maybe I will only get very few readers,but I hope to try it. :)

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Inkshares pays author royalties of 35%, about half the rate you earn by self-publishing on Amazon and other platforms. Inkshares offers editing and packaging services, but you can hire editors and packagers for a one-time fee instead of paying them royalties forevermore. And you keep the media rights.

See also Hannah Rounds on the blog "Publishing in the 21st Century," "Do authors find success publishing with Inkshares?"
-- Allen Varney
Twitter: AllenVarney | http://www.allenvarney.com | http://bundleofholding.com

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:04 am

I love this thread :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”