Which non-rpg gaming products did you buy in 2018

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Which non-rpg gaming products did you buy in 2018

Post by shesheyan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Still three months to go in the year but I don't plan to buy other games this year. I didn't participate in a single Kickstarters in 2018. I'm still waiting for 2017 KS called Star Eagles which is in the same category as X-Wing. The KS is more than 1 year late but recently we were shown pictures of the printed books and told we would get our pledges before Christmas.

Miniature Games
• Gates of Antares two player starter set (Warlord Games) : In some ways its similar to 40k but far less expensive. Used d10s which is better. The game is interesting but ultimately I just too big a game if you want to do a full list. Too many models to buy, glue and paint.

• Aristeia (Corvus Belli) : A super fun two player futuristic arena combat game. Each player has a team of 4 gladiators. Played four games and I'm loving it. The hexagonal board fits on a regular dinner table.

• Battleship Galaxies (Hasbro) : I already owned a copy. The game is descent enough but I actually bought a second copy to have 20 more space ship models and the two superb space hex maps. I will use the content of both boxes to play games of an old 80s favorite Starfire 2e. I now have 40 pre-painted ships and a 36"x36" hex board to run large space battles - à la Star Wars.

• Sea Dogs unit (Warmachines) : I'm using those as pirates for Flashing Steel by Ganesha Games.

• Human Wizard, Treasures, Monks D&D5e blisters by Wizkids.

Boardgames
• Lost Cities
• 7 Wonders Dual

Card games
• Alien Artifacts : A cool space empire building card game. Very good with two players.
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Which non-rpg gaming products did you buy this year

Post by shesheyan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:44 pm

• Company of Irons (Privateer Press) : This is marketed is a war band game, an entry point into Warmachines. The list building is different from the regular game. If you play against friends who only buy the starter sets its possibly a fun game with 10 or less models per side. But if you only have a starter set and play against someone who has access to all the models of single faction you will be destroyed even more badly than in a regular warmachines game. This game was not play tested properly imho. I sold my box after 3 games.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Which non-rpg gaming products did you buy in 2018

Post by shesheyan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm adding Temple of Elemental Evil and Tomb of Annihilation board games to my list. I recently sold several wargames to a gaming store. In exchange a received store credits which I used to buy these two games. I now have all 5 D&D Adventure System Cooperative Boardgames.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:05 am

I bought a few gamebooks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook :cool:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm

One of the people in my regular gaming group owns one or two of the D&D board games, but I haven't played any of them. I think he gets more mileage out of the minis than the game itself.

I don't think I've actually bought any games this year that weren't RPG books. (That will likely change once I start Christmas shopping for my wife and kids.) The only game I can be certain I acquired this year was Telestrations (think Pictionary crossed with the kids' game "telephone"), which I got as a birthday gift this summer.

I recently came very close to buying a used copy of one of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game starter sets, just to see what that game was like, but couldn't quite justify the cost, even used.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:49 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 pm
I'm adding Temple of Elemental Evil and Tomb of Annihilation board games to my list. I recently sold several wargames to a gaming store. In exchange a received store credits which I used to buy these two games. I now have all 5 D&D Adventure System Cooperative Boardgames.
These are very good games, and I have both of them. :cool:

The only game I picked up this year (that I remember) is Sky Traders. Up to 5 players can run a Sky ship plying the trade winds around the world, trying to make a profit and avoid pirates! The fun thing is, you can choose to be a pirate one turn and next turn, be totally legit in a port that has stuff to sell to you cheaply, or you have stuff they want & make a killing on it!

The game also comes with an interesting backstory of how sky ships work, but the short version is that the alchemical process that allows them to fly also produces "sludge" that must be discarded with care, or the Sky Patrol will fine you for disposing of it in a city or while in flight. The safest way to dispose of it is to drop it in a volcano. The best part is, cities will pay you to dispose of their sludge! Load up your ship and fly over the volcano, and that's easy money!

(Unless another player decides to attack you enroute and damage your holds, then you get sludge damage, which ain't pretty... :lol:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 am

Two Chessex Pound-O-Dice and the 4th Edition version of Talisman early this year.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:49 pm
The only game I picked up this year (that I remember) is Sky Traders. Up to 5 players can run a Sky ship plying the trade winds around the world, trying to make a profit and avoid pirates! The fun thing is, you can choose to be a pirate one turn and next turn, be totally legit in a port that has stuff to sell to you cheaply, or you have stuff they want & make a killing on it!

The game also comes with an interesting backstory of how sky ships work, but the short version is that the alchemical process that allows them to fly also produces "sludge" that must be discarded with care, or the Sky Patrol will fine you for disposing of it in a city or while in flight. The safest way to dispose of it is to drop it in a volcano. The best part is, cities will pay you to dispose of their sludge! Load up your ship and fly over the volcano, and that's easy money!

(Unless another player decides to attack you enroute and damage your holds, then you get sludge damage, which ain't pretty... :lol:
Sounds really fun! I'll look it up.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:49 pm

That sounds awesome, I'll definitely be on the lookout for Sky Traders.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Well, I bought the 2nd Edition conversion kits and core set for Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures game. I've collected and played 1st edition for about 4 years and have quite a collection. 2nd edition looked like such an improvement that I got the conversions for it. And it is a great game.

A game I have yet to buy, because it isn't available in Canada quite yet, is Transformers: Trading Card Game. I'm not a collectable card type of person in general, but this one looks great and I love transformers.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I finally bought a copy of "Dungeon!". Its the 2015 version, so I have no idea what changes (aside from art) have gone before for previous editions of the game. I know the D&D header (or footer is more accurate, since the logo is bottom center on the box) is done in the 4th edition style. :)

I may not even open it up. I need to send something to my son for Christmas, so this seems like a good pre-Black Friday buy.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”