[YouTube] Felicia Day and The Guild Play D&D!

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[YouTube] Felicia Day and The Guild Play D&D!

Post by Havard »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1z2plH ... e=youtu.be

I've just watched the first few minutes, but I am a big fan of The Guild Youtube Series and of course Felicia Day.

This looks like a new 4 part mini-campaign. The group are playing the characters from The Guild series, but I don't think you need to be familiar with that series to enjoy this.

Also, it seems this is a follow-up to a one shot D&D game the group did in April which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2g8zWqDrn0

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [YouTube] Felicia Day and The Guild Play D&D!

Post by Tim Baker »

I really enjoyed The Guild. Thanks for sharing this – I look forward to checking it out.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:36 pm
I really enjoyed The Guild. Thanks for sharing this – I look forward to checking it out.
Okay, I just watched the one-shot episode that takes place before the 4 part adventure that just started (both linked in the OP).

I think it probably helps knowing the personalities of these sort of silly characters from The Guild as they rampage around this adventure. Some semi-raunchy humor and some pretty awkward situations as the characters try to rid a village of invading mushroom folk.

Still, I enjoyed the adventure and I think the DM did a good job of handling the obnoxious group of adventurers. None of them are experts in 5E it seems, but it didnt bog the game down to it was fine.

I like how the cast are able to retain the personalities of their characters from The Guild actually.

I am not sure if I've seen the lady who is the DM before?

The world is called Dragonore (spl?) and the village is called hmmm...something with B?

I am curious to see how much of this first adventure carries into future adventures. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Havard wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm
I know the DM, Amy Vorpahl, from the Saving Throw YouTube channel. I watched the first season, where they covered Pathfinder, and enjoyed it. I haven't watched it since then, though, and it looks like the cast has changed.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:45 am
Havard wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm
I know the DM, Amy Vorpahl, from the Saving Throw YouTube channel. I watched the first season, where they covered Pathfinder, and enjoyed it. I haven't watched it since then, though, and it looks like the cast has changed.
Thanks Tim!

That looks like her yes! She did a great job I think and I like how she has accomodated her play style even more to the oddness of the characters from The Guild Cast in ep 1.

Lots of fun watching this!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Felicia Day's Facebook Page wrote:In light of the events this weekend we will be delaying the Guild D&D stream. Next Sunday we will resume the arc. Thank you for understanding.
:(

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 »

Not knowing about the person, I was expecting a day of the calender dedicated to the concept of "Bye, Felicia". My mind suggested that it would be the day to celebrate those who have left your life in a huff, without being a real loss to you.

"Felicia" Day.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

BlackBat242 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:45 am
Not knowing about the person, I was expecting a day of the calender dedicated to the concept of "Bye, Felicia". My mind suggested that it would be the day to celebrate those who have left your life in a huff, without being a real loss to you.

"Felicia" Day.
LOL :lol:

I've been a fan of Felicia Day since Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and The Guild, but I later found out that she also starred in Buffy. and other shows. I haven't watched much of Geek and Sundry, but I know she has also appeared there.

I like this series where The Guild Plays D&D, but it is much more silly than most online streamed D&D games and seems more built around the personas from the Guild Series than I think it would have been if they had just started a D&D show without that pre-history.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Finally got around to watching episode 2. The group are trying to get into a burger festival in their hunt for a magical trident. If you're not up for a lot of goofing around and bordering in inappropriate humor, this might not be for you, but I laughed out loud several times while finding the rest very amusing. I have to admire DM Amy for being able to keep up with the group at least most of the time, but she broke down laughing in the middle of the episode and I was worried she would not be able to recover :D

Onto episode 3 now!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Watched episode 3 which involved a Benny Hill themed magic portal spell and the group being captured by a donkey-faced minotaur. They ended up not using the Wand of Orcus, but it was still pretty entertaining. I am mildly amused by some rules that Amy doesn't know, but she is able to find the answers quickly and overall I still think she is a great DM. Very entertaining and fun while still making the game exciting. I liked the reunion with the Knights of Better which was established as the rival group for the Knights of Good.

Will watch episode 4 which is the last episode later. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko »

Havard wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:21 pm
BlackBat242 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:45 am

"Felicia" Day.
LOL :lol:

I've been a fan of Felicia Day since Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and The Guild, but I later found out that she also starred in Buffy. and other shows. I haven't watched much of Geek and Sundry, but I know she has also appeared there.
She was a bit of a background character in the final arc of Buffy - I think it was my third time watching that before I realised it was even her. (I've read that her character's story got expanded in the comics). She's probably better known for the other two you mentioned and for the recurring character of "Charlie" on Supernatural (begining with the - for this discussion - appropriately titled episode "The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" :lol: ).

I haven't had time to watch anymore of the Guild D&D, but I saw there's another one shot as well now. Hopefully I can find these in a podcast format and add it to my to-listen-to-while-driving-to/from-work list (after I finally catch up on Critical Role).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Gecko wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:06 am
She was a bit of a background character in the final arc of Buffy - I think it was my third time watching that before I realised it was even her. (I've read that her character's story got expanded in the comics). She's probably better known for the other two you mentioned and for the recurring character of "Charlie" on Supernatural (begining with the - for this discussion - appropriately titled episode "The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" :lol: ).
I enjoyed Felicia Day's character, Holly Marten, on the show Eureka. Holly likes Star Trek and Warhammer. She also plays Dungeons and Dragons. I can't even begin to describe her character arc without spoilers. If you haven't seen Eureka, I recommend it.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Gecko wrote:

I haven't had time to watch anymore of the Guild D&D, but I saw there's another one shot as well now. Hopefully I can find these in a podcast format and add it to my to-listen-to-while-driving-to/from-work list (after I finally catch up on Critical Role).
Ah yes, I remember hearing that she was in Buffy. Maybe I will have to rewatch that show this summer? :)

I didn't realize she was also on Supernatural. I've only watched a couple of seasons of that. So much to watch! :D
Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 am
Gecko wrote:
I enjoyed Felicia Day's character, Holly Marten, on the show Eureka. Holly likes Star Trek and Warhammer. She also plays Dungeons and Dragons. I can't even begin to describe her character arc without spoilers. If you haven't seen Eureka, I recommend it.
That's another show I haven't seen. I will have to see if I can get it here somewhere :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Watched the final episode (episode 4).

A pretty epic conclusion with a slightly dark twist, within a lot of goofiness. Some amazing dice rolling by Clara (and Vork, eventually!).

I hope that there will be a follow-up campaign to this one, given how things ended.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Oh, another game has been posted!

A one-shot guest starring Will Wheaton!

Amy Vorpahl is still the DM, but looks like no Vork? The rest of the crew seems to be present. I haven't watched this one yet, but had to check.

Also, from the blurb:
The Guild wrote:We will be back in AUGUST FOR ANOTHER 4 EP ARC! Follow Felicia's Discord for announcements for specific dates! Follow us on Twitter and FB for any specifics as well!
That is great news! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko »

Havard wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:26 pm
Ah yes, I remember hearing that she was in Buffy. Maybe I will have to rewatch that show this summer? :)
As I said, It's easy to miss that it's even her.
I didn't realize she was also on Supernatural. I've only watched a couple of seasons of that. So much to watch! :D
Yeah, if your only a couple of seasons in you won't have gotten to any of her episodes yet. Her first isn't untill season 7.

Actually season 7 has quite a few notable guest stars (I won't say anymore to avoid spoilers).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Havard wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:33 pm

A one-shot guest starring Will Wheaton!
Thanks for sharing. I'm listening to it now while I work. :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Havard wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:33 pm

A one-shot guest starring Wil Wheaton!

Amy Vorpahl is still the DM, but looks like no Vork? The rest of the crew seems to be present. I haven't watched this one yet, but had to check.
Watched this episode a few week ago. I really enjoyed the return of Wil Wheaton's annoying character and his history of ex girlfriends coming back to haunt him and the rest of the Knights of Good. Where else could all of this culuminate than at a mountain spa run by a Medusa? :lol:

I missed Vork for this episode, but it was great seeing the rest of the gang back. I also felt Clara got a bit more spotlight this time around than in the earlier episodes. :)

Also, from the blurb:
The Guild wrote:We will be back in AUGUST FOR ANOTHER 4 EP ARC! Follow Felicia's Discord for announcements for specific dates! Follow us on Twitter and FB for any specifics as well!
That is great news! :)

Looks like they are streaming the next one tomorrow! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Havard wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:12 pm
Watched this episode a few week ago. I really enjoyed the return of Wil Wheaton's annoying character and his history of ex girlfriends coming back to haunt him and the rest of the Knights of Good. Where else could all of this culuminate than at a mountain spa run by a Medusa? :lol:

I missed Vork for this episode, but it was great seeing the rest of the gang back. I also felt Clara got a bit more spotlight this time around than in the earlier episodes.
I enjoyed this one-shot more than the prior one. Perhaps it was the inclusion of Wil Wheaton – he offered some laugh-out-loud moments. :D

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:02 am
Havard wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:12 pm

I missed Vork for this episode, but it was great seeing the rest of the gang back. I also felt Clara got a bit more spotlight this time around than in the earlier episodes.
I enjoyed this one-shot more than the prior one. Perhaps it was the inclusion of Wil Wheaton – he offered some laugh-out-loud moments. :D
Yeah, Wil is great and his character works really well with the rest of the crew.

I also think the rest of the group is warming up to the whole idea of playing D&D. Maybe Amy Vorpahl is also learning new ways of getting each of them involved. I don't know. I am looking forward to seeing more of the adventures of the Knights of Good.

Who knows, maye Wil will return? Or will we see other guests?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

New 4 part story is up!

Okay, I won't spoil what happened in this episode, but clearly things did not go as planned! :D

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Havard wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:34 pm
Okay, I won't spoil what happened in this episode, but clearly things did not go as planned! :D
Did Wil Wheaton end up in this story?

Return to “The Tabard Inn”