The word "Oriental"

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
combatmedic
Gnoll

Re: The word "Oriental"

Post by combatmedic » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 am

There's nothing offensive about "Oriental Adventures."

PC has reached ludicrous proportions.

What's next? Trigger warnings about orc genocide?

LOL

Edit-- All that being said, I don't fault anyone who is genuinely and personally offended or upset by designer's word choice for a game product title, or something like that.

If somebody really has a big problem with a game product, he can always just not buy the product.
That's what I do with stuff I find offensive. I don't give it my dollar vote.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything in gaming books I've seen that I actually find offensive.

As ever, YMMV

Michael Tumey
Bugbear

Post by Michael Tumey » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:57 pm

As I've already stated in this thread, I am half Japanese and am in no way offended by the use of oriental nor Asian as it applies to questions regarding the far east and gaming. That said, my published oriental setting for Pathfinder doesn't use the words oriental nor Asian in its title, since it is specifically a Japan-analog only - as I call it the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG). Since there was an attempt to be authentic in its presentation of Japanese aspects, I didn't want to confuse potential buyers into thinking the setting also applied to fantasy China, Korea, Southeast Asia, which it doesn't - it is Japan only.

combatmedic
Gnoll

Post by combatmedic » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:51 am

Yeah, it's a great name choice, Michael.
It connects with the cultural background, setting concept, and tone.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”