Frostgrave (Osprey Games)

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Frostgrave (Osprey Games)

Post by shesheyan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Osprey Games recently published a set of rules for a fantasy miniature games that has experience points and campaign play. The battles for treasures and artefacts are set in the city of Frostgrave. Its definitely has an old school D&D feel. Attacks and damage are resolved using a d20! Both players control a Wizard. They can also hire 8 other characters form a Warband with a budget of 500 gold pieces:

- Wizard apprentice (200 gold - highly recommended to include one in any list)
- War hound
- Thug
- Thief
- Archer
- Crossbowman
- Infantryman
- Tracker
- Man-at-arms
- Treasure hunter
- Knight
- Templar
- Ranger
- Barbarian
- Apothecary
- Marksman

I received my book today. What I really like about this game is that it doesn't require official miniatures. You can use any old D&D you have on hand. The A4 140 page hardcover is only 15 UK Pounds or $25 USD.

https://ospreypublishing.com/store/ospr ... frostgrave

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): This Frostgrave game is "close enough" to a tabletop roleplaying game, that I've decided to "give the topic the benefit of the doubt" and move it to The Crunchy Bits.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Frostgrave (Osprey Games)

Post by shesheyan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:12 pm

From the depths of the Red Desert the Mage Nazir Ibn Hamid Ibn Hajjad and his apprentice Mogamba have heard rumors of the mysterious Frostgrave. The old wizard, carried by an eunuch, decides to form a band to investigate this strange place rumored to be filled with arcane treasures. He hires 3 body guards (2 thugs and 1 men-at-arms).

Halfway into the journey they meet a man (thief) and his panther (war hound). He becomes their guide to the costal city of Vienza. Nazir soon discovers that his map of the region is outdated after asking for directions.

Truco, a treasure hunter, and his two companions (thief + crossbow woman) offers his services as guide. The next day Nazir’s warband start the last leg of the journey to Frostgrave.

I will be using models from my Helldorado and Freebooters collections. They don’t get enough play time. The apprentice Mogamba is a D&D mini that I will be rebasing.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:05 pm

So, not much interest over here about miniatures games ?

I never played the original Chainmail or its 90s version but I'm hoping Frostgrave turns out to be a fun game.

The editor plans to come out with a version of the rules in which the battle takes place in a dungeon !

My first game is next Tuesday.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Sorry man. I like miniatures, but not too crazy about miniature games.

The minis look nice though.

What is known about the City of Frostgrave? Would it make for an interesting RPG setting? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:31 pm

I can't afford any more miniature games for a while now. I'm all in with Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Plus boardgames in general.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Hugin wrote:I can't afford any more miniature games for a while now. I'm all in with Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Plus boardgames in general.
I feel the pain ($$$) for you. At least X-Wing and Armada are already pre-assembled and painted. I didn't get into these games because they are franchise games. I learned my lesson when WoTCs Star Wars Minis ended when they didn't renew the license. No one wanted to play anymore. They moved on the next «shiny new collectable game». At least FFGs games are not sold in random boosters and the models are really decent. ;)

I prefer miniature games that are NOT linked to a book, movie or other franchise. Its not less expensive but at least the publisher of the game owns the intellectual property.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:54 am

For me, I'm more into board games. Those two I listed just happened to be miniature games... expandable miniature games.

;(

But they're just so good!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:44 am

shesheyan wrote:Osprey Games recently published a set of rules for a fantasy miniature games that has experience points and campaign play. The battles for treasures and artefacts are set in the city of Frostgrave. Its definitely has an old school D&D feel. Attacks and damage are resolved using a d20! Both players control a Wizard. They can also hire 8 other characters form a Warband with a budget of 500 gold pieces:

- Wizard apprentice (200 gold - highly recommended to include one in any list)
- War hound
- Thug
- Thief
- Archer
- Crossbowman
- Infantryman
- Tracker
- Man-at-arms
- Treasure hunter
- Knight
- Templar
- Ranger
- Barbarian
- Apothecary
- Marksman

I received my book today. What I really like about this game is that it doesn't require official miniatures. You can use any old D&D you have on hand. The A4 140 page hardcover is only 15 UK Pounds or $25 USD.

https://ospreypublishing.com/store/ospr ... frostgrave
I'm not really interested in playing new game rules at the moment, but this Frostgrave setting sounds pretty interesting.

It looks like the wizards run the world and the other classes are NPC/followers. How does that work? Do wizards "level up" to gain more followers?

The player vs player thing sounds a bit like what I have heard about Dave Arneson's Blackmoor games. Do you skip having a GM?

I wonder if this aspect is there to make the game work with less players than traditional tabletop RPGs.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

religon
Bugbear

Post by religon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:59 pm

So, not much interest over here about miniatures games ?
I play many more miniatures games than RPG games. There are three local players that are friends of mine that are invested in Frostgrave. I have yet to participate in a game, but they are savvy gamers and rarely spend time on dud games. I have a faction of Crocodile Games fantasy Egyptians for use in the game when able to play.

From following blogs, Frostgrave does seem to have a strong following.

I have been playing Crom, Savage Worlds, LOTR Strategy Battle Game and Pulp Alley which allow for fantasy miniature warbands without the structure of a wizard as the leader and his henchmen. All play well... as I'm sure Frostgrave does.

I look at miniatures this way:
1) I enjoy painting them.
2) Each dollar spent leads to a lot of entertainment time over the life of a figure.
3) Once painted, I can play lots of games… not just the one the figure was made for.
4) The more I have painted, the more wacky-fun games I can muster.
5) For fantasy figures, lots of inexpensive pre-painted figures are in the marketplace.
6) You can use them while RPG-ing.
7) You can resell your figures if you ever tire of them for roughly 40% of the initial cost.

Another nice thing about miniatures for busy adult gamers with families is just how limited and precious gaming time can become. While the RPG is nice, it demands a consistent time commitment from participants. Miniature games don't demand consistency from players… a boon for those with chaotic, active lifestyles.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:00 am

I'm crossposting this from the "Freebies!" topic in the Call of Cthulhu forum:
Graeme wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Holy moley! You are one of the people building Frostgrave! :cool:

We have a topic about Frostgrave, from October last year, that I just bumped. I was pretty interested in the background of the setting (if not the actual rules themselves). But I do believe that Frostgrave might be a good stepping stone for new people to get into roleplaying.

Is Frostgrave: Tales of the Frozen City a novel that helps explain that world? If it is, then it sounds like the idea way for a die-hard 3rd Edition D&D fan like me, to learn more. :)
Frostgrave does look good (very reminiscent of Games Workshop's Mordheim, to my eyes at least). My involvement so far has been limited to writing one short story for Frostgrave: Tales of the Frozen City. That's a fiction collection (ten stories by ten authors) which aims to convey the feel of the game rather than explain any deep backstory. There seems to be quite a vibrant Frostgrave miniatures community on Facebook, with quite a bit of crossover with the Oldhammer community.
Has anyone read Frostgrave: Tales of the Frozen City?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:55 am

Just saw some books for this. I'd still love to know more about this setting.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Havard wrote:Just saw some books for this. I'd still love to know more about this setting.
I found a few reviews: The Vault of the Geek review shows a box of 28mm Frostgrave miniatures. So even if people didn't want to use the wargame, or adapt the campaign setting to tabletop play, they still might want to buy the miniatures and use them for other RPGs.

I also found a 20 minute video on YouTube, called Frostgrave - A Look at the Book and Initial Impressions:

The guy who posted this video really likes Frostgrave. He said he was going to post some other videos later, but this one seems to be a complete overview of the main book.

It seems like each player has one wizard, one apprentice and a warband of 8 other characters. So it's probably fairly close to Chainmail in play-style.

Games seem to be built around going into a recently rediscovered frozen city to fight off monsters and other warbands and to loot buried treasure.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”